Graviteam
April 23, 2024, 07:42:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Diary of a Campaign Maker (or How Hard Can It Be?)  (Read 102040 times)
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« on: February 11, 2012, 04:25:21 AM »

Probably since the days of ‘Popular Mechanics’ magazine in the 1950s, Do-It-Yourself publishing has encouraged people to have a go at what otherwise seems a daunting task.

Looking through the various forums covering Steel Fury: Kharkov 1942 (SFK42), you can see the gnarled veterans with years of experience, producing new vehicles and missions that keep expanding and renewing this gem of a WWII tank simulation. You also see users of the game like me, grateful for their products and waiting with anticipation at the next release.

Somewhere in between are the creative souls, who stick their head above the trench and try to move forward, making their own missions. Some barely make it out of the trench, shot down in a hail of withering ‘contour’ fire.

Some others make it to the next foxhole, and the next after that, only to tread on a mine that is the strange behaviour of the AI. Others make it all the way to the end, receiving hearty pats on the back from the helping hands of the veterans. Like green combat troops, the newbies look at this on the forums and see it as overwhelming.

Well, I am going to stick my head above the trench and try to cross the Campaign Making minefield. I’ll post what I do for all newbies to see, and ask the questions that need to be asked, so it might encourage more mission making.

Please feel free to contribute advice and sggestions – especially you gnarly veterans!
How hard can it be?

=====================

Scenario: Estnische
Producer: Kyth
Director: lockie

There are two variants of installation:
1. Re-download Mission Pack 3.0
OR
2. Install mission Otto Carius: Siivertsi as a separate one. It will be added automatically to the Mission pack 3.0.

1. Unofficial patch_SF_v0.1_(ENG) link #1, link #2
2. Steel sound mod v1.1
3. SPM 1.5 beta
4. SPM1.5_ultimate_update, link #2
5. Missions pack v2.1
6. Missions pack v1.0d
7. Upd_Nov_2012(NTA)
8. SPM (NTA) 1.6
9. Mission_Pack_3.0
10. Winter-mode 2.1 for the mission "Otto Carius: Siivertsi".
D/l mission:
Carius_Siivertsi

NOTES:
Sometimes mission may CTD. This is because of the big number of the units.

Here is a video from the mission by fabianfred.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:08:48 PM by lockie » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »

Good, good,

I will be keeping a close watch on the proceedings,  Lips Sealed

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 08:17:58 AM »

Mission making can be as hard as you want it to be.If you follow Kyth and Rend's( not to mention the guys on the Russian-Ukrainian side of the equation) trail then it's going to be a steep-hill but once you've reach the top it becomes easier every time.You can make your teeth on simple missions and then take it from there.

Anyway it's great to have you on board!
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 01:15:05 AM »

OK, so where to begin? With a plan, of course!

Missions seem to fall into one of three categories:

1)   Historical – where the mission maker attempts to follow as closely as possible real events. It’s usually possible where a real soldier has diaries of their wartime actions. Of course there are limits on the accuracy, including availability of tank types, a game map (polygon) that matches the location, and the variations made by the player and the Artificial Intelligence (AI).

2)   Semi – Historical – where the maker uses real events to create a believable  
mission. This allows the maker to have the best of both worlds, working within the confines of the game, but being consistent with historical events. This way you don’t have Operation Barbarossa commencing with Tiger IIs!

3)   Fictional – where the maker is free to do what they please. The best use of this type of mission is to entertain the player, with history not a determining factor. Here is where imagination should run wild, encouraging the player to use their wits and problem solving to work outside the usual tank versus tank scenario. Lockie’s ‘Hurry Up Kubelwagen’ is an example of this.

In my case, I’ve decided on a semi-historical German campaign. Like many others, I’ve always like the Panzer VI (Mk I Tiger). One of the best Tiger commanders was Otto Carius, who wrote a book on his experiences called ‘Tigers In The Mud’.  In 1943, Carius joined a Tiger unit, the schwere Panzer-Abteilung 502.

This unit fought at the Leningrad front and then in the retreat to Narva, Estonia. But determined defence halted the Russian advance, leading to extensive battles at the Narva and Ivangorod bridgeheads. Researching these encounters is where the internet is your friend.

Unfortunately, city streets and buildings are not yet available in SFK42. However, at several points the Russians tried to by-pass Narva, including attempts to cross the Narva River at the villages of Siivertsi and Riigiküla, north of Narva. These attempts were beaten back by units of the 11th SS Volunteer Panzergrenadier Division Nordland, supported by Otto Carius’ Tiger platoon.

(HAPBA=Narva in Russian)

It should be possible for me to make a series of missions based on the actions at Siiversti, using the mod SPM 1.5 Beta, and the stock maps.

How hard can it be?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:40:56 AM by Estnische » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 02:55:28 AM »

Good start, keep it coming!

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »

BTW it's Soviets not Russians Grin.

I think the idea is great and as for the maps most of us have never been to Estonia so we couldn't tell whether the stock maps are authentic or not...
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 03:52:34 AM »

I think the idea is great and as for the maps most of us have never been to Estonia so we couldn't tell whether the stock maps are authentic or not...

I have, in the middle of summer. Very green and lots of birch trees and lumbering elks! The stock maps shouldn't be a problem if I can find a river to suit Carius' descriptions.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 04:03:46 AM »

You know what we need next? an urban map. That way Kyth can work his magic in the city slug-fest's that plagued much of the eastern front.

lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 11:01:05 AM »

Very green and lots of birch trees and lumbering elks! The stock maps shouldn't be a problem if I can find a river to suit Carius' descriptions.
As my point, there's no problem to create a new polygon. The stock ones are completely washed out, imho.

Provocative signature removed
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:23 AM »

I'd say, if you're just beginning, pick a suitable stock map and use it.

They're all quite useful and versatile and there are actually 10 more 'hidden' maps available as well.
Take a look:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2919.0

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »

OK, now I need to pick a map and some armoured units.

A description by Otto Carius doesn’t cover a lot, apart from:

“the front is only thinly held. I’ve attempted to help myself by constructing it as a series of strongpoints”

“the eastern bank of the Narva, climbed quite steeply, and the edge of a large forested area extended along the high ground. We thus stuck out like a sore thumb for their artillery, which gave us many problems. As soon as we left our little bit of woods, it didn’t take more than three minutes before we saw the first muzzle flashes on the far bank”

“the Russians had suffered terrific losses during their attacks as there was no cover at all while crossing over the ice of the Narva. But even if only a small group was successful in establishing itself on our side of the Narva, they stuck to our trench system like leeches”

The following description from an Estonian website says:

“Numerous wire obstacles and mine fields had been established to protect the bridgehead.”

“Russian elite units protected the bridgehead: the 378th Shooters' (Rifle?) Division units and the 340th Single Machine Gun Battalion. These units were supported by the cannon(artillery?) units over the river, who in case of an attack opened a fire towards the trenches, which made conquering the bridgehead directly impossible. There have also been talks and written texts about there being machine guns on the other bank of the river.”

So, I have some parameters I can interpret:

•   Russians have huge numerical superiority, but I don’t know what units or armour they had.
•   Carius only had a platoon of Tigers to work with the SS Panzer-Grenadiers. Tigers I can get using the SPM1.5 Beta mod.
•   Germans have trenches on the west side, which they lost. They were later occupied by the Russians. Defences included mines and wire and machine gun nests.
•   The map needs a river preferably running north-south, with banks rising to have the Russian artillery looking down on the German trenches.
•   I need to establish a village on the west side. If I use it as the base for the German company HQ, it could be the mission goal of the Russians. 
•   The crossing of a river covered in ice! Looking at the image of Carius’ Tiger, it has white camo and the actions took place in February 1944. So I will have to investigate winter mods. The stock version of SFK42 is very lush and leafy.

Like Kyth said, it will be easier to work with an existing map. So I need to find a suitable map first, and then check out mods for seasons. 

How hard can it be?
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »

The Izum map would fit your needs as the river runs North to South and it's got steep hills  on one side with some forest cover.However if you need to have the Germans on the West bank of the river there are no trenches nor villages but only a dense forest and some hills in behind it.The only trenches and villages would be on the Soviet side(East bank).There are many maps with rivers running through the middle but the only other one that could fit your needs - the Peremoga one - does not entirely fit the setting you need.I am trying to think about the new maps( i.e user_made ones)and I can't think of one that would meet your requiremnts.I think Lockie is right you'll need to make an entirely new map. Also the 2 exisating winter maps; the old one and Lajcak's late autumn one do not have ice....
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:58:09 PM »

If the river is supposed to be iced over, it widens your available choices doesn't it?

You don't actually need a map with a river.

"Yes."
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:21:38 AM »

You can use Google Maps or Google Earth to find the spot relative to where Carius's unit was around Narva. Personally, I'm impartial, but it might help Smiley

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 03:34:40 AM »

If the river is supposed to be iced over, it widens your available choices doesn't it?

You don't actually need a map with a river.

Just to clarify, you won't actually need a river if it doesn't make a tactical difference (e.g. a barrier to crossing).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:37:12 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 05:41:08 AM »

I would be more believable and more realistic to have a river in my opinion.Historical accuracy...BTW the exiasting maps can be edited/modified using the ME...

What we need in the game are more decent bridges, stone ones( were there any in the SU?) or steel ones .The crappy wooden oens we have frankly suck! Roll Eyes
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

I haven't read Tigers in the Mud. What are the key events you want to include in the mission? Do you have a series of missions in mind?

"Yes."
Estnische
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 10:49:26 AM »

Kyth – you should get it. It covers three phases of his career in Panzer 38(t), Tiger I and finally Jagdtigers (highly recommended and quite cheap to buy online). After reading Tigers In The Mud, the river has to be a feature, as it really divides the forces. I have had a look at some of the stock maps and the seasonal mods too.

But to describe what I have done, I’ll need to start talking about the Mission Editor that comes with the game. I’ve built missions in IL2-Sturmovik before and that took some learning. It’s the same problem with SFK42. Thankfully, FabianFred has created a series of video tutorials on how to use the mission editor. I got them here:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/11609396/7b1d1709/Steel_Fury-Kharkov_1942.html

Sometimes it’s a bit difficult to take in the processes (a problem with the Editor, not FabianFred), so Friedrich Wilhelm has made a pdf version, and I used both as a reference.

http://www.4shared.com/document/9vKpkgWz/SF_Mission_Editor.html

Using these references, I followed the convoluted steps in firstly, opening up an existing map, and then, placing friendly and enemy units, and telling them what to do. Voila! I’d made a mission! Not a good one mind you, but I shot at the enemy and they fired back...

That first step was enough for me to explore the Izum map:

It has:
•   A north-south river with valley heights
•   Two crossing points (circled in black) with open ground to reach the northern crossing
•   The Soviets could advance up the river valley on the east side (red arrow)
•   The Germans could hold a strong point on the west bank with their company HQ (blue box) further up the hill.

But then, Frinik has also recommended to me the Peremoga map, which has two real advantages over Izum. Firstly the river runs from SE to NW, just like the real thing. Also, there are three crossing points close together, giving a broader crossing zone, more like crossing ice.

After that I checked out some seasonal mods. Here is what the stock crossing points look like:

Not a very convincing imitation of Russians crossing over ice!

Here is the same crossing with Lajcak’s Winter (No Snow) mod:

Much better. I think I’ll be happy to use either of these maps, especially if I can add barricades and trenches.

A questions to the veterans, can I do that with the map editor? FabianFred showed how to add ‘dragons teeth’.

I’ll answer Kyth’s other question in the next instalment  - that is, applying the historical events to the shape of the map to outline some missions.

How hard can it be?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:02:46 AM by Estnische » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:26 PM »

A questions to the veterans, can I do that with the map editor? FabianFred showed how to add ‘dragons teeth’.

I really don't think so, because we don't have the source files for the stock maps.
If you look at the Fabianfred video closely, he isn't actually editing the B_Babka map, instead it's the generic map with the big lake.

However. If you don't mind turning the Peremoga map 180 degrees around, it would work quite well, with plenty of entrenchments facing the river.
The stock B_Babka map is also a good alternative, with entrenchments down both sides of the river,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:34:12 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »

Not a very convincing imitation of Russians crossing over ice!
I've a "winter mod" from comrade Maleshkin, but unfortunately I don't have a permission to release this mod. Perhaps, it'd be possible soon. Some pictures: http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9737.0

especially if I can add barricades and trenches.
It's impossible. That's why I suggested to create original polygon and apply to him any changes which u want.

Provocative signature removed
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: