Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:13:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Jagdpanther mid production [Released, Page1]  (Read 23916 times)
Donken
Generalmajor

« on: April 07, 2012, 06:39:13 PM »

This is my latest project, I wasnt happy with the most beautiful tank ever built during ww2 namely the Jagdpanther. This one gave me lots of headache and i needed to remodel almost everything from the one we already got igm. I got it down from 55500 polys for lod1 to 35000 polys on lod1. And i also added 2 lods so now it have 3 lods at 64900 polys Cheesy So yeah, its kind of a 98% remake from the old model, only used it as a blueprint. But the texture is the same thou Cheesy

I will only release it with one texture and hopefully Mistwalker add it to hes UU patch later on with all other textures.

I have one question. Is someone willing to redo the texture a little bit? My wish is to remove all black areas/shadows on the texture. I dont think it should be to hard for someone with a little experiance with textures!

And finally the screens:

And here is the download:

Jagdpanther v1.0

This one is not JSGME ready, but only two files you need to change: jagdpanther_a.go found in \data\k42\loc_rus\go\techn\spguns
and jagdpanther.engcfg found in \data\k42\loc_rus\levels\LEVELS\tech_cfg

The change is:
Complete overhaul, almost made from scratch so it is a totally new model based on the old one. (borrowed a few details i reworked)
Texture fixed on all places.
Added a few details.
A total reduce of 20000k polys on lod1
Added 2 lods so now it have 3 lods.

And lastly, most for us modders i renamed all pieces to english so "everyone" knows what is what and can change what they want. But my changes are only on one of the Jagdpanthers (Jagdpanther Dark Green in the editor). So i hope this one is released in a pack or if someone upload it completed, i have no interest in that just now. But feel free to do it!

My two wishes now is if someone is willing to redo the texture a little bit, the original one is good but its not made for this modell so i need a few "errors" fixed
and also report all bugs and suggestions Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:30:02 PM by Donken » Logged

The real heroes are those that never came back.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

WOW Grin

bidounegger
Major

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »

what a nice work !
w're waiting for !!!

thanks for your work !
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 11:10:00 PM »

Excellent work!

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 01:00:32 AM »

Stunning!I agree with you Donken; to me the Jagdpanther is undeniably the most elegant piece of armour of WWII not to mention one ofthe most lethal.Could you release it separatly from the patch as well please?I'd like to have in my older installs?Huh?
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:24:54 PM »

Its released =)

Feel free to post bugs or if i missed to fix something!

Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:32:43 PM »

Wow just what i need,great work!
Is there any chance of you doing a late model Panther G as it would go great with the missions i play?
Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »

btw i will have a go at the texture if you want.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 11:51:29 PM »

Littlebro

Well, i do have a Panther G i started on. But thats a long time ahead of my planes, next up is Pz2 Luchs, another poly hugging vehicle we have igm. After that i can make a try on a Panther G

And about texture, the thing thats annoying me most is all "shadowing" around all hatches and stuff on the texture, so mostly all black/darkbrown areas on the roof and sides and rear and also around the gun on the upper frontplate (superstructure front armor). Remove all them (if possible)

This should give you an idea of what i talk about:

Other then that you can do whatever you want Cheesy

Ps. jagdpanther_a to jagdpanther_f is using the same "template" so if you want to make something from scratch look at one of them and redo it, should be easier to use for example jagdpanther_t.dds that is using only dunkelgelb as base and start make your own camo from there, just a suggestion Cheesy
Ds.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:58:43 PM by Donken » Logged

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »

Good stuff, many thanks! 

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:04:30 AM »

That Jagdpanther is a work of art! Superb, great effort.  Smiley

with the most beautiful tank ever built during ww2 namely the Jagdpanther. 
For me it's a toss up between the Jadgpanther and the superb Su 100.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:15 PM »

I personally prefer the Jagdpanther esthetically speaking but one has to admit that in terms of lethality both models were almost even. I'd give a slight edge to the JGPT though because it could carry more shells, and the kwk43 was superior to the 100 mm in terms impact and range.
Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »

Very true. However  Smiley

The Su 100 still possessed great hitting power with the D-10s. It was a good as (if not better than) the Panther's 75mm KwK 42, and the Tiger I's 88mm KwK 36. And although Jagdpanther's outstanding 88mm KwK 43 L/71 did give the JP an advantage, the Su 100 could still take out the JP at the respectable range of 1000m.

Add in that the Su was more manoeuverable, mechanically more reliable, possessed a better range, a greater gun traverse, a softer footprint, almost as good armour protection and was diesel engined....... I think I would be more happy in it, rather than the Jagdpanther.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 11:28:30 PM »

the Su 100 could still take out the JP at the respectable range of 1000m.

Im not usually like that to discuss things like this but on this one i cant be quiet, so a source on that one?
Afaik no combat shot where ever recorded to have penetrated a Japdpanther from the front. The theoretical front armor thickness on it is around 230mm if you calculate RHA and the slope. No soviet or allied gun could penetrate that at combat ranges, The few recorded penetrations is during testing from close fire Cheesy (read 250m and shorter)

And because i asked for sources i can give you one example that i have!

quote from Walter J Spielberger:

The Jagdpanther was far superior to any American, British, or Russian tank. The same applied to antitank cannons. The only sure way of stopping the Jagdpanther at normal combat distances - even with superfast, undercaliber ammunition - was by hitting it on the sides or the rear. Only one picture shows a shot that penetrated the front bow plate (this one i talked about). This shot, though, for experimental purposes, could only have been fired from the closest range. In frontal fire, only lucky shots at the drivers sight opening or at the tracks and intermediate gears could make the vehicle immobile, Even then side hits were necessary to put the Jagdpanther out of action.

And also i copy this picture from the book:

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:49:18 PM by Donken » Logged

Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 07:07:55 AM »

Apologies, I should have said Panther, not Jagdpanther.

According to "Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two" by Steven Zaloga, the D-10s gun mounted on the Su 100 was capable of penetrating 85mm armour sloped at 30 degrees at 1000m.

Mind you, in "Armour in Profile #21 SU 85 and SU 100 Tank Destroyer", Colonel E. F. Offord, Offord states that the D-10s could penetrate 160mm armour at 1000m. But he doesn't state whether it's sloped or not.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

When comparing such stats you have to remember the context of the time.When the Jagdpanther came onto the battlefield in the summer of 1944, the Panzerwaffe was suffering from fuel shortages, lack of properly trained crews, logistical disruptions cause by severe bombings and an army in constant retreat and a deterioration of the quality or armour( lack of special alloys that came from mines in previously occupied Soviet territory) and manufacturing .

I think overall in ideal conditions( ample fuel, logistical support and well trained crews ) was superior to any other spg tanks but with the adverse conditions the Germans were facing it probably was never used in such conditions.It probably arrievd one eyar too late and in too small numbers.

That being said I think the Jagdpanther had better armour protection, a better gun and better optics than the SU-100.The latter on the other hand, had a smaller silhouette, greater numbers( 6 times as many were produced as jagdpanthers) , no worries about fuel shortages .The  ergonomics were not good but the quality of Soviet optics had improved considerably and the 100 mm guns was very lethal under 1000 metres. At longer range, well concealed and without any air strikes to worry about I think the Jagdpanther would have the edge.

BTW the shell count for the Jagdpanther in the game is much too high.Currently there are 75 shells including 40 HE whereas all the articles I read state that the Jpt carried from 57 to 59 shells.

All in all I think the Jagdpanzer IV L70 would be a more comparable opponent to the SU-100.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 01:47:53 PM »

I think we've come to different conclusions on the shell count. All the things I've read about German SPG's states that the occupants found the original ammunition count far to low, and therefore removed the ammo rack within the vehicle to give it more space. The Stug III, for example, was only supposed to carry 40-something shells into combat, but usually carried well over a hundred

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »

It's true for the Tiger I which reportedly vcarried in some cases up to 120 shells while the normal count was 92( way above what's in the game by the way).But nowhere I have read that jagdpanther crews carried more than 59.This I got from Thomas Jentz's books....
Mistwalker
Oberst

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2012, 11:08:09 PM »

I dont remember, do you have my panther A model in .max format to base your G model on, Donken?  Smiley

Im not usually like that to discuss things like this but on this one i cant be quiet, so a source on that one?

Jagdpanther's front hull has the same angle and thickness as Panther's.
There are reports about 100 mm shell penetrating upper front hull of the late Panther from 1500 m, and also the photo of the front hull, penetrated from 2000 m by 122 mm shell. And 100 mm could be compared to 122 mm in terms of penetration. Even the early 1943 (stronger) Panther's front hull could be penetrated by early (weaker) 122 mm shell at 700 to 1000 m distance at least.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2012, 11:34:13 PM »

no, i dont think i have your Panther model. The only one i have is the "banned" one, that was taken from another game. But if your Panther A is buggfree and finished i can probably take it and make it a G model if you dont have time or something.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: