Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 11:28:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Armor Mod questions  (Read 74887 times)
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: April 08, 2012, 10:14:40 PM »

Hello again,

I am going to try and make a mod that adds Israel to the fray, complete with M60A1 and Centurion (re-skinned Olifant) tanks. What all would I need to edit and how do you use the mkflat.cmd thing? Basically, what is required in making a mod for this game?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:20:00 PM by whukid » Logged

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:11:40 AM »

Reskin only?  Just a good image editing program.  Photoshop is gawd of course, but hmmmm $$$$$.  Other than that all tools are in game.  i spent alot of time figuring how most of em work, so ask el questionOs. 

unflat is easy and I know you know how to use that  Grin
mkflat requires a path to files and a .flatlist.  The flatlist is generated when you unpack something.  just modify what you need to pack back up.

Code:
cd ..\..\..
starter.exe  root\programs\mkflat.progpack,  users\modwork\my_addon.flatdata, users\modwork\text_loc.!flatlist

Vary genaric windows .cmd file.  Just copy paste and change names around to fit.  Make sure the path in command line is same as your folder structure or no workie. Oh notepad ++ is awesome if you have not messed around with it.....and freeware.  Vary handy for sabow/apos editing.

Then you will want to use text changer....vary simular to mkflat cmd line

Code:
cd ..\..\..
 starter.exe tex_changer,  users\modwork2\m2hb_fb.loc_def.mesh, m2hbfb_dift, m2hbfb_norsp
bit of REF.  basicly stick the mesh (model) into folder (modwork2 in this case) along with normal map and defuse map.  You probably will only need defuse map and can reuse normal map. 

dds to  atf.  This program converts .dds format to game usable.  (texture must be saved as a dds file with mipmap generated......or modified i guess)  Does not need a cmd line thank gawd. 

Not in any order but that should clear up things left out or simply not clear from documents files.

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »

Thanks! Do you know what to edit to add a new nationality? And how about campaigns or map-making?

EDIT:

ehh... can you give alittle bit more comprehensive tutorial on the use of mkflat.cmd? I can't seem to make the mkflat thing find the "flatlist" .
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:28:50 AM by whukid » Logged

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »

No map making utilities  Cry.  But Andrey as said its quite complicated and as like 1 custom map ever came out of K42 probably will never happen for sabow.   Cry  Bet I could figure it out with lots of cursing.   Tongue

Nationalities appear to be hard coded.  But many are not used such as US, Britian, Japan (at least yet), France.  For Sabow I would pick one thats off the wall and not likly to get used by any mod.  US and Britian are natural candidates for something sometime, as they both have models of tanks in game (m60 US, mk5 and centurian UK).

Also what war/time frame for Arab Isreali conflict?  73 war makes most sense as it could have gone either way.  Egypt did a kick butt job on the crossing of Suez and excellant use of light figther rpg and at3 teams at the beginning.  Syria........ugh, executing prisoners of war and torture don't sit well with me........so F em.  But that is off topic.  War is truelly a horrid affair, but systematic murder after the battle is over?  Well it would pretty much have to be the 73 war cause of m60\t62  Tongue.

let me look about for the mkfalt deal,.... 

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 04:30:28 AM »

yea, probably 1973 ish, since we don't have any Super Sherman's or T-34-85's. I guess since the Centurion's aren't playable, there won't be much to do with an IDF force besides blow it up, which is a bummer Tongue I personally haven't studied Egyptian or Syrian accounts of the war too much, since I'm more of an Israeli fan, myself.

That's too bad they didn't include a mapmaker.  Undecided For now I plan on just overwriting the Iranian insignia's. I don't know of too many people on here who can speak hebrew, so the Farsi commands will suffice Smiley

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 04:31:56 AM »

So mkflat has to be run from the root folder.  Its default location is fine and what I do.  Just copy the windows .cmd file (mkflat) and paste it.  Edit it with notepad.  Stick this in there
Code:
starter.exe  root\programs\mkflat.progpack,  users\modwork\my_addon.flatdata, users\modwork\my_addon.!flatlist
.  this is pretty much what Andrey was saying in tutorial.

Create a modwork folder under users......CALL IT MODWORK  .....in this case.  Does not have to be, but follows directions from documents and should not cause any crazy problems if your like me and looking at many referances at once  Tongue.

Either find a !flatlist file or simply unpack something and grab whatever you unpacked.  You will have to change file names this way but provides a template to follow.  NAME the .!flatlist file my_addon.

Now it *should* create a file named my_addon.flatdata if you used that bit above.  You can of course rename the my_addon.flatdata file flashburn_has_nice_pants.flatdata or whatever (you get the idea) and it should make a data file named that.  Just make sure the .!flatlist file in the line of code above is the same name as the flatlist file.  

OH dont save anything it as a txt file!  will not work.  It is looking for .flatlist or if at step 1........and windows .cmd or .bat file to run.  default notepad sometimes has a mind of its own (ok user error) and is why I prefer notepad ++.  Just alot easier to give wierdo extentions to files.

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:46:12 AM »

Super Shermans are uber neato do it yourself tanks.  Did shockingly well against newer tanks.  Of course they had better tankers in them..........  But Egypts crazy shermans with amx13 turrets where neato too.  Just alot less armor. 

If I ever get there my Saladin Armored car model is based off Israels (no idea if they bought or captured them).  Not designed with interior in mind, but it is hollow on inside and some half arsed playable deal could probably be none.  Could be interesting........ Just saying.   It needs some more optimizing, LOD's, and textures.  But I did unwrap it and started normal map on it over a year ago on some rainy weekend. 

On another random note........  i have wondered in APOS maps could be brought over too sabow.  Now if all the trees and vegitation where dumped and retextured map along with added in vegitation closer to mid east.................   ALOT of work, but I bet it could work as more sudo mid east stuff.   

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »

This "Mkflat" stuff is complicated, especially since I'm a visual learner. Sad

Basically, I'm going to do the following;

1. make a new folder "Modwork" in Steel Armor/user/

2.copy a folder (in this case "tex_misc") and paste in "Modwork" and then in "my_addon" (?)
[I'm not sure if you're supposed to re-name it or paste into the "my addon" folder, so I'll try both]

3.create a .cmd file

4.Edit the .cmd file using Notepad++

5.Paste that line of stuff you posted to the .cmd file

6.Rename "tex_misc.!flatlist" to "my_addon.!flatlist"

7. Move to "Go" and collect $200?

Huh? Huh? Sad No change  Huh?

whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:17 AM »

Yea, I'd really like to eventually add them into the game, AMX 13 turret versions too. Maybe they're copy-able from SFK 1942? Lockie and Donken were able to roll out a whole line of US vehicles for it, and I'd like to think that it wouldn't be TOO hard to import them into another game. Who knows Tongue

Anyways, I'm relatively new at modding. Any and all help will be appreciated Smiley

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:27:26 AM »

AHHHHHHHHHH a folder in there now I see.  Easy way.  copy paste out all files out of folders directly into modwork folder (no folders).  that sould do it.  How many files are in there, lol?

Hmmmm also have a somewhat crappy amx13 model.  that was another 7 hour rainy day wonder model for the heck of it. (not much care done in modeling).  But as something to shoot should be good enough, particularly the turret.  Also a french VCI apc, it needs uber help but could be a decent target.  Funnny how I made all this crap and now im like huh.  Obviously the amx13 and vci need help bad.  Thats what happens when you make something for the hell of it just cause with no plans to even texture or play around with it.  M113 is stalled but in progress.  Road wheels just for ref until I see how many polygons I have to play with.  Saladin needs LODS and texture works with a few itty bitty fixes here and there.   

Here I like pictures...........

By z2e at 2012-04-08

By z2e at 2012-04-08

By z2e at 2012-04-08

By z2e at 2012-04-08
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 06:02:09 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 05:38:50 AM »

AHHHHHHHHHH a folder in there now I see.  Easy way.  copy paste out all files out of folders directly into modwork folder (no folders).  that sould do it.  How many files are in there, lol?

Hmmmm also have a somewhat crappy amx13 model.  that was another 7 hour rainy day wonder model for the heck of it. (not much care done in modeling).  But as something to shoot should be good enough, particularly the turret.  Also a french VCI apc, it needs uber help but could be a decent target.  Funnny how I made all this crap and now im like huh. 

alot Tongue

so it should look like this?

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 06:03:24 AM »

Yes..........see if worked yet?

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 06:08:38 AM »

Yes..........see if worked yet?

nope Sad Would it work if I did the whole directory? like C:\Desktop\Game Folders\Steel Armor\root\programs\mkflat.progpack?

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 06:27:47 AM »

Ugh, everything looks right from you screens.....   Sure you dont have a my_addon.flatdata somewhere in there?   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 06:37:08 AM »

Ok, the only advice I can think of giving is the way I have mine set up.  I am running 64bit win 7.

My sabow folder is under C:graviteam
I run my mkflat.cmd from C:graviteam\docs\modwork\flatwork  ........I am sure it would run elsewhere in game folder, just never bothered =)
lastly, Andrey loves to use VOODOO on people when they try and mod (JOKE)..........ha, i made a crappy funny.

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »

Ok, the only advice I can think of giving is the way I have mine set up.  I am running 64bit win 7.

My sabow folder is under C:graviteam
I run my mkflat.cmd from C:graviteam\docs\modwork\flatwork  ........I am sure it would run elsewhere in game folder, just never bothered =)
lastly, Andrey loves to use VOODOO on people when they try and mod (JOKE)..........ha, i made a crappy funny.

bleh Sad nope. no ".flatdata" files anywhere. Maybe he relayed the information wrong?

Rod
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »

I spent DAYS running the mkflkat cmd from the root folder and nothing. I put my mkflat cmd file INSIDE your test_pack folder? I know- I know that's not where the manual says to put it. But I produced a flatdata file by putting that mkflatcmd somewhere other then root. I tried it tonight again and lo and behold I produced a flatdata file in modwork folder the mkflatcmd in test_pack file -The file that is suppose to be empty! Go figure. Huh? Huh? Huh?

The code in my mkflat is
Code:
cd ..\..\..
starter.exe  root\programs\mkflat.progpack,  users\modwork\test_pack.flatdata, users\modwork\test_pack.!flatlist

Looking at your file setup try putting the mkflat cmd file in your my_addon folder and run it from there. What do you got to lose?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 07:46:32 AM »

VOOODOOOO I say! Roll Eyes

Ok this is a pointless post.   Lips Sealed  but if it works, who cares if its "right".

So with that I bid the world a good night, or in Europes case, good morning. 

Yabba dabba do
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 07:47:14 AM »

nope Sad no dice. It's not recognizing something as a "batch" file or whatever. With Windows 7, the little command window thing fades so quickly it's impossible to read.

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:34 AM »

Hmmmm thats odd, silly random thought.  Run it as admin?  Oh and check to see if a .txt got in there (in file name), geeez another thought.  Save the thing in unicode. 

Fine now Ill go to sleep.......... Grin

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: