Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 07:02:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New monitor problems  (Read 8806 times)
hemisent
Oberst

« on: June 26, 2012, 01:20:38 PM »

Guys, my monitor died over the weekend so I replaced it with a 27" LED unit. It works great but the screen resolution is set to1920 x 1080. I went into the game last night and reset it in the video section, I hit "Apply" and the screen went black. I had to manually shut down the computer and reboot. I attempted to go back into the game but got instant black screen causing another reboot, Is there any way around this? The game must support this new resolution as the setting is listed in the options.

Cheers
H
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

I use that resolution and i have no problems, the only thing that kind of doesnt work is if i check: use desktop resolution. If i use that my screen goes black and i need to alt+tab a few times to get it working again, if i uncheck that one everything works perfect Cheesy

The real heroes are those that never came back.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 11:15:43 PM »

Hi Donken
 How do I get my game to show up? Right after the intro the screen goes black and stays there.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »

I have never had that problem so i have no idea, But have you tested to change settings manually in the settings file?
You can find it here: \data\k42\loc_rus\config\config.engcfg
Thats the only thing i can think of besides a clean install ^^

Remember to make backup first!

hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:44:53 PM »

Thanks Donken
 I was hoping there was a file to manually change the settings-I'll check it out right now.

Cheers!
H
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:00:15 AM »

No problem, only glad to be of help Grin

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 01:58:22 AM »

Hemi go into your config folder and udn er render try to reset your screen res values manually so your game will start and oyu can uncheck "Use Desktop Resolution" .Here's what me render entry looks like:

i_render:render()
{
   //àäàïòåð
   adapter   =   0;
   //ðàçðåøåíèå, ÷àñòîòà, ðåæèì
   bb_wid   =   1600;
   bb_hei   =   900;
   bb_freq   =   60;
   bb_fmt   =   22;
   //ðåæèì áóôåðà ãëóáèíû
   depth_buffer   =   75;
   //îáðàáîòêà âåðøèí
   vertex_processing   =   1;
   //ãàììà (0.0 - inf  def 1.0)
   gamma   =   1.070000;
   //ÿðêîñòü (-1.0:1.0 def 0.0)
   bright   =   0.500000;
   //êîíòðàñò(0.0:1.0 def 1.0)
   contrast   =   0.920000;
   //àíòèàëèàñèíã (òèï, êà÷åñòâî)
   aa_type   =   0;
   aa_qual   =   0;
   //óðîâåíü àíèçîòðîïèè
   aniso   =   0.000000;
   //ïðîïîðöèè ýêðàíà (4/3, 16/9, 16/1, 5/4)
   aspect   =   0.000000;
   //îêîííûé ðåæèì
   windowed   =   0;

Reset your scren res to 1680 X 1050 save your new settings and try starting your game.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 03:39:18 AM »

What are your new system specs?  Grin

By the way, if you're sticking with the old rig, are you positive the video card can handle 1920 x 1080 (for gaming, not only display)?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:11:56 AM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »

Hi Kyth
 After trying all the manual resets that thought came to me last night. I have an older Dell XPS p4 3.25 GB ram. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GEforce 7600. I'm just Dl'g new drivers for it as I write this. No idea how to determine if the card will support that resolution (gaming) at all. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:29:20 PM »

Hi Kyth
 After trying all the manual resets that thought came to me last night. I have an older Dell XPS p4 3.25 GB ram. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GEforce 7600. I'm just Dl'g new drivers for it as I write this. No idea how to determine if the card will support that resolution (gaming) at all. Is there a way to find out?

Thanks everyone for the assistance.

You might want to edit the config.engcfg file to a lower resolution first, and see if it works. Then work it upwards gradually,

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 03:51:30 AM »

I manually lowered the resolution to what it was and the game will now go through the intro, the menu and once a mission is selected it immediately jumps to 9% and freezes. I checked and my graphics card does support the new resolution, also I ran Achtung Panzer in the new res and it's ok.

I recall that Silent Hunter 3 I think, had a widescreen bug that required a certain patch or workaround for it. I'm wondering if this may be the case altho I cannot recall any mention of it here.

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »

I manually lowered the resolution to what it was and the game will now go through the intro, the menu and once a mission is selected it immediately jumps to 9% and freezes. I checked and my graphics card does support the new resolution, also I ran Achtung Panzer in the new res and it's ok.

I recall that Silent Hunter 3 I think, had a widescreen bug that required a certain patch or workaround for it. I'm wondering if this may be the case altho I cannot recall any mention of it here.

There's one other thing you could try, that's to activate the 'use desktop resolution' option.
I had a problem with the hanging when it was unchecked.

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »

Hemi your graphic card is very low end.I suspect it barely meets the minimum specs for SF.The basic SF without all the new mods and additions would probably work at very low fps.But Ultimate ???I doubt it.Even new drivers won't help much.SF with all the bells and whistles is a cpu and gpu hog. I think you should aim at  playing at 1024 X 768 res max with what you have.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 11:28:05 PM »

Hi Frinik
 I came to the same conclusion but I cannot get the game to run even with that resolution. That's why I was thinking of some sort of widescreen problem. I'll try a fresh install and see what happens.

On another note, any recommendations for a better graphics card. Something maybe not too outrageous in $. Right now I'm just doing whatever I can to stay in operation.  I will be replacing this rig hopefully by the new year.

Thanks
H
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 02:52:19 AM »

Hemi it depends on your budget.If you are looking at spending about $ 100 then I would recommend the Radeon HD7750 1 gb ddr5.It's the cheapest you can find ($ 105 or less)that does not need an extra auxiliary connection and will give you pretty good gaming performances whether with SF or other games.Plus it's small so it will fit in a small gaming tower and it uses littl power and generates little heat.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

Frinik
 I checked out the reviews on that card and I think I'm going to pick it up. I don't want to put good money and equipt into something that's going down the road in the near future.

Having said that I finally got the game to play last night by changing the res to 1024x768. The only complaint I have is the sights. The tiger for instance shows the distance marks (inner small circles) for shells on top and MG on the bottom, but the actual aiming point to align them to is disappeared. It's like the outer edge of the sight is reduced inward.  Any thoughts?

Thanks
H
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

It looks like you have the wide screen problem. When you say you are playing at 1024 x 768 res you are talking about the game not your new screen settings I suppose? TRy unchecking the Use Desktop Resolution box in the game video settings .
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: