Graviteam
April 16, 2024, 01:48:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Pathing challenges  (Read 12528 times)
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« on: June 28, 2012, 02:05:54 PM »

Hi - please see this thread:  http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3132678&mpage=1&key=&#3132687
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

You have to set the waypoints perfect when crossing a frozen river, I see no problem that a tank may end up going off line at night to be honest it's happened to mine before, I learnt to set way points to individual tanks when fording a river.

Setting waypoints is the key when travelling distance over poor and dangerous terrain, like most games I think.

Also maybe the district patch helps with some maps and the pathing.

Not sure why the sub units wouldn't except separate orders, never had that before.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:47:14 PM by wodin » Logged
GBS
Major

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:07:49 PM »

I don't do this at all wodin. I have given a location to move to on the far side of the river and the vehicle will search out the best and closest crossing point. no need to use way points. I agree with red that there is something amiss here.
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 04:27:58 PM »

Wodin - it's daytime, not night and the river isn't frozen.

Also, I gave a road move order but the vehicles all stayed off road for the entire journey.
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »

Andrey has explained that it's a path and not a road, which is why the men and vehicles ignore it.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »

I can understand vehicles ignoring the path, but why wouldnt infantry use a path?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 10:36:11 PM »

I can understand vehicles ignoring the path, but why wouldnt infantry use a path?
Both ignores the path, and use only roads.

Historically, the river could only cross through the bridge in Krasnaya Polyana. The player and the AI made ​​indulgence, but greatly simplify river crossing in this place (to automatically went on the road), we did not  Grin

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
randall.flagg
Major

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 10:37:56 PM »

So are paths purely visual? And the AI doesnt "see" them as a quicker way to travel if given the "travel on road" command?
BigJ62
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

Ran some QBs on the Rakitnoe map and every unit (AFV and INF) I told to move by road, they did perfectly. Btw I'm using 580 with all the poly updates. My only complaint is with when I tell a unit to move fast then I want the unit to move fast right now not when it is convenient.

Home Built (air cooled)
MB : Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU : Intel i7 980x
Memory : 12 GiB
Video : Nvidia GTX 580 x 2
Audio : on board sound - Sound Max 5.1
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:37:51 AM »

So are paths purely visual? And the AI doesnt "see" them as a quicker way to travel if given the "travel on road" command?
We have no order/modifier somthing like "move on the path", but only on the roads Smiley

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 12:49:45 PM »

Ran some QBs on the Rakitnoe map and every unit (AFV and INF) I told to move by road, they did perfectly. Btw I'm using 580 with all the poly updates. My only complaint is with when I tell a unit to move fast then I want the unit to move fast right now not when it is convenient.

Are you saying that they moved on 'paths' on that map?
BigJ62
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 02:51:13 PM »

Not sure what paths are, they moved on what appeared to be roads.

Home Built (air cooled)
MB : Asus P6T Deluxe
CPU : Intel i7 980x
Memory : 12 GiB
Video : Nvidia GTX 580 x 2
Audio : on board sound - Sound Max 5.1
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 05:45:12 PM »

Not sure what paths are, they moved on what appeared to be roads.

OK,  In the new DLC at least, there are also paths...  they don't move on them.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »

Krasnaya Polyana:

Its a path - not used for move
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/shot201206302242150000.jpg/

Its a road - used for move with the appropriate modifier
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/shot201206302242280001.jpg/

Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 11:58:07 PM »

What is the purpose of paths then? Because from what I understand from this discussion is that paths are only eye-candies. Shouldn't soldiers have easier time marching down the dirt path instead of making their way through deep snow or high grass? Well I do.
Same for vehicles.
Huh?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 07:43:03 AM »

What is the purpose of paths then?
Like most other objects - to recreate the landscape.

Shouldn't soldiers have easier time marching down the dirt path instead of making their way through deep snow or high grass? Well I do.
Same for vehicles.
Huh?

Vehicles and soldiers do not enjoy the favor of the player than the AI ​​moves on their own maps. Which by happy coincidence, in some key areas coincide with players map  Grin

Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

Maybe in a future release Paths can give:

1. A movement advantage to infantry
2. No advantage to vehicles (or very small advantage)

Also for a future release - can we split the Infantry from their vehicle so that the vehicle can stay behind, take a different route or provide covering fire?  It is frustrating sometimes that if I attack into woods the vehicles must come along, even though they will get stuck.

We would need this split to take advantage of paths also.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »

No, for this purposes has roads.  Grin
Why then the separate paths and roads? If they work the same way.

Also for a future release - can we split the Infantry from their vehicle so that the vehicle can stay behind, take a different route or provide covering fire?  It is frustrating sometimes that if I attack into woods the vehicles must come along, even though they will get stuck.
This feature present from first release APK43  Smiley
Use selection filters for it.

Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 03:53:53 PM »

No, for this purposes has roads.  Grin
Why then the separate paths and roads? If they work the same way.

This feature present from first release APK43  Smiley
Use selection filters for it.

Thanks. 

I don't understand your point about paths.  They have no effect right now, so why show them?

Splitting infantry from their vehicles - I didn't know we could do it.  I will try it out!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »

I don't understand your point about paths.  They have no effect right now, so why show them?
The paths are present on the ground in large numbers, so should be in the game. The same goes for any more piles of useless (at first sight) objects  - boats, benches, fences, haystacks, etc. It is certainly possible to do, but then lost some realism.

Splitting infantry from their vehicles - I didn't know we could do it.  I will try it out!

Select all squads what you need, right click on platoon icon (on quick selection tab) then in popup menu deselect those groups that you do not need (such as APC, if you want to use only the infantry). To avoid to repeat it every time, save the selection to the group (Ctrl+Number).

In general, the in-game assistant tells it all Wink

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: