Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 09:13:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't know if I should get the game  (Read 5248 times)
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« on: July 04, 2012, 03:00:08 AM »

I have recently got into Graviteam's games and I don't know whether to shell out the $20 or not. I like Steel Armor a lot because of its persistence, damage modeling, terrain deforming, and the overall atmosphere of the game so how does Steel Fury shape up in that regard? I know it doesnt have a dynamic campaign like APOS or SABOW but is there anything that can make the game dynamic? Also, I saw about that SPM Ultimate mod but it doesnt exactly say what it contains. I just want to know what the state of the game is and how it fairs.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:03:54 AM »

Steel Fury is the mother of all Tank Sims. There is literally nothing out there that can compare to it, including Steel Armor. The modding possibilities and past achievements are just too much to pass up in my opinion

TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 03:21:46 AM »

How big can the battles get and do the mods increase it? Can you survey the battlefield after the battle like in SABOW?
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 07:46:10 AM »

I have recently got into Graviteam's games and I don't know whether to shell out the $20 or not. I like Steel Armor a lot because of its persistence, damage modeling, terrain deforming, and the overall atmosphere of the game so how does Steel Fury shape up in that regard? I know it doesnt have a dynamic campaign like APOS or SABOW but is there anything that can make the game dynamic? Also, I saw about that SPM Ultimate mod but it doesnt exactly say what it contains. I just want to know what the state of the game is and how it fairs.

My immediate response would be two thumbs up!! Definitely worth the price. And with the SPM 1.5 and Ultimate Update, you get nearly every tank on the Eastern Front you can think of.

How big can the battles get and do the mods increase it? Can you survey the battlefield after the battle like in SABOW?
As big a battle as your your hardware can take! I don't know if Frinik has hit the limit yet with his humongous missions,  I'd recommend to give them a try,  Grin

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 09:14:51 AM »

So what about the surveying the battlefield to see vector lines and the aftermath of the battle.

Thanks for the replies.
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 09:19:36 AM »

Yup, you can survey the battlefield after the battle for as long as you wish and check out the damage info and vectors for every tank on-map. Regarding the size of the battles, my machine isn't exactly top-notch, but I can still play the larger battles without too much trouble. Just for reference, one of them has 8 tanks, 10 halftracks and 2 overstrength platoons of PGrens (cca. 100 men) on the German side and 6 IS-2s, 8 AT guns and about a company of Soviet infantry defending. In my current experience, that's one of the larger engagements in-game, and then, there's also Prokhorovka with somewhere around 50-60 tanks in my free approximation. Smiley
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:41:40 AM »

Graviteam has had the damage survey and hits vector as part of their games ever since they co-made T-72 Balkans on fire also called another name I can't remember in North America. There's nothing coller in Sf than even after you have been killed you can tab the game and see how every other individual tank is doing on tis own. I love checking the fate of the tank that killed mine until the battle is concluded.

Re number of units, with Steel Panzer 4 Mod released in 2009  and which contained much less tanks/apcs variants  than the current Ultimate and was lighter in LODs I could muster battles with up to 144 tanks on the battlefield and still get decent fps.Now let's say up to 90 tanks can fight it out .The gfps killer sin game are ; infantry, artillery shelling and flares, and airplanes.This is what you have to limit to avoid stuttering or a drastic drop in fps.SF game engine, unfortunately, is not optimised for multi core cpus.Actually even playing  avery demanding MP game like Battlefield 3 with it's modern graphics and terrific f=effects and explosions I get better fps than SF with it's older game engine. Still with a decent graphic card and a reasonable cpu( intel i5) and at least 6 gbs of RAm with the stock missions I get 50 to 60 fps.My own made battles give me anything from 25 to 45 depending on the map, wetaher settings and number of units in play...For $ 20 SF is worth the price.I have been playing that game sicne 2008 and I probably have thousands of hours put into it.There are other games I have played and still play but none with such regularity and intensity.it's easily moddable, lots of new mods, missions and models sprouting up all the time and very stable...The alternative is to wait 6 months or more until Graviteam make their next WWII tank sim probably based on SABoW's game engine , graphics and hybrid combo of rts/sim.Up to you!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:03:58 PM by frinik » Logged
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:44:39 PM »

The alternative is to wait 6 months or more until graviteam make their next WWII tank som probably based on SABoW's game engine , graphics and hybrid combo of rts/sim.Up to you!

Hmm.... is this legit, as in are they are really considering this because I thought they were focusing on Nomonhan now. Anyway, Im getting the game now and just hope the mod tutorials will be enough for the installations.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: