Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: King tiger zimerite free  (Read 15661 times)
Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« on: September 05, 2012, 06:07:25 PM »

Hi i was wondering if anyone was interested in zimerite free King tiger,i have a part finished bump map but i will have to finish it and make a new skin.
Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:26:25 PM »

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:35:56 PM »

Of course we are interested in that!

And the picture, the infamous Octopus tiger Cheesy It is said the it still have the original camo scheme, just slightly different colors today =)

The real heroes are those that never came back.
Boom
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 11:02:33 PM »

And the picture, the infamous Octopus tiger Cheesy

Please, tell me more!
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:20 PM »

Not much to tell really, well, atleast not more then a fast google search can do =)
Worth mentioning thou is as you can see it still have the "transportketten" on, and also a few late war details, by this you can figure out it was one of the last tigers produced.
And that it was abandoned you can see on the gun, its stuck in full recoil. Maybe hard to see on this picture but you can clearly see it on other ones.
Whats special about it is just the camo scheme really. I think ppl are still today discussing (more then usual for some reason) of what is right and what is wrong, what colors where it etc and so on Cheesy

Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Hi guys does anyone have any preference as to the skin ,i have a few but would welcome any input. the bump map is done so im ready to start on the skin. 
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »

Hi guys does anyone have any preference as to the skin ,i have a few but would welcome any input. the bump map is done so im ready to start on the skin. 

I say pick your favorite, but release the multi-layered template so the community is free to add improvements or different skins all together (I.E. for a winter mod or Western Front mod)

Rends
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:50:24 PM »

Whoever did the swastika he did it the wrong way. Pretty sure he wasn't a german.

Fight blood cancer register at : http://www.dkmsamericas.org/
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:33:05 AM »

Looks like the reverse  or inverted swastika the Finns used on their tanks...Was probably drawn by one of the foreign occupation troops in Germany...

Apparently from what I have gleaned this was one of 7 freshly builts tanks that came straight of the assembly lines in Kassel and given to Schwere Panzer Abteilung 501.The tank was destroyed/disabled in early May 1945 while in the process of firing so apparently you can see that the gun is not fully recoiled.Some of its crew members came back after the war to pose for pics in front of the rusting wreck....It doesn't say what its ultimate fate was only that it was still in the same spot until the 60s...Was probably turned into scrap metal.
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:38:33 AM »

The tank was destroyed/disabled in early May 1945 while in the process of firing so apparently you can see that the gun is not fully recoiled.

The Germans did that on purpose, They cut the hoses/pipes to the hydralic damper when they only had one shell left, then they shoot at something. This way the enemy couldnt use the gun because its impossible to fix without cutting the gun apart. You can see this on lots of pictures on german and abandoned tanks. One good example is the Jagdtiger at Aberdeen proving grounds Cheesy On that one its very very easy to see that the gun is fully recoiled =)

whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »

The tank was destroyed/disabled in early May 1945 while in the process of firing so apparently you can see that the gun is not fully recoiled.

The Germans did that on purpose, They cut the hoses/pipes to the hydralic damper when they only had one shell left, then they shoot at something. This way the enemy couldnt use the gun because its impossible to fix without cutting the gun apart. You can see this on lots of pictures on german and abandoned tanks. One good example is the Jagdtiger at Aberdeen proving grounds Cheesy On that one its very very easy to see that the gun is fully recoiled =)

Actually, it's not at Aberdeen anymore. They closed down the Museum Sad

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 08:11:41 AM »

oh no! When? Why? Where? What is gonna happen with all stuff they have?

Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »

Making a template is probably going to take too much time as its a complicated skin ,however i think i may do a base skin  in red oxide or olive green  and layer an other skin on top.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Don't worry Donken they closed Aberdeen but they transferred the tank museumcollection to Fort Lee in Virginia.All the pieces will be on display there!
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »

Don't worry Donken they closed Aberdeen but they transferred the tank museumcollection to Fort Lee in Virginia.All the pieces will be on display there!

Are you sure? I heard that they were sticking them all in a warehouse to "preserve the pieces for future generations".

Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:21:26 PM »

Good thing they still care (i think?) about preserving them. Im afraid thou im never ever gonna see it irl anyway Cheesy

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2012, 02:45:46 AM »

Well about taking good care of them I am not so sure.Looking at the exhibits I was struck by the fact that some have rusted tracks and most have horrible white paint over it .They are in bad need of a paint job.Compared to how meticulous the European tank museums in the UK, Germany or France seem to be with their collection even having models that can actually run like the KT in Saumur.

BTW I was watching a KT being taken for a ride at Saumur on Youtube and listening to the engine I was struck by how close the sound we have in SF is close to the real one!
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2012, 06:41:16 AM »

Well about taking good care of them I am not so sure.Looking at the exhibits I was struck by the fact that some have rusted tracks and most have horrible white paint over it .They are in bad need of a paint job.Compared to how meticulous the European tank museums in the UK, Germany or France seem to be with their collection even having models that can actually run like the KT in Saumur.

unlike most European museums, the vehicles displayed at Aberdeen were often used in tests for the military. Why bother with a historically accurate paintjob when you're going to kick the shit out of it anyway?

We play rough with our war trophies. The Marines snuck a T-55 back from the gulf and put it in front of the Barracks at Quantico. It's still got most of the green base-coat, but rust from the Northern Virginia weather took its tole.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »

Perhaps but I suspect the testing of WWII German vehicles stopped a while ago Grin

My point is if you are planning on keeping vehicles /items for education, historical or whatever purpose then you take care of them.....

Look at the condition of the KT on display at La Gleize or the Panther G somehwere in the Netherlands etc they are in pristine condition.
Littlebro
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »

In my opinion,i think these tanks should be well looked after as a tribute to those who fought and died using them, i have spent many a happy hour at Bovington tank museum The German Tank Museum and Saumur and to actually see some run is amazing.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: