Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 11:40:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi everyone, new missions!  (Read 83791 times)
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:17 AM »

Hi Frinik (and everyone who is interested),

Actually the darkness and cover help the little PzIII's.
But you'll also need to watch out for enemy light tanks and infantry, which could land a lucky hit at close range!

Try replaying the mission, you'll find that it plays out slightly differently each time.

Thanks,

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 10:16:57 AM by Kyth » Logged

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2010, 03:00:07 AM »

that's exactly what I am planning to do Grin

Will get  Mission successful or blow up in burst of flames trying to....

Cheers
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 02:50:25 PM »

Hi!

Here's the 3rd mission in the series, following the events in mission 2.

Kyth Mission 3

The encircled defenders have hung on grimly for the past 2 days, throwing back repeated assaults on their positions.
Now, can they hold on for much longer? ... Make sure that they do!

The mission can be downloaded here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/uOzbSWOe/KythMission03.html

And, please add this extra line to the 'user_camp.engcfg' file:

New_KY_03, txt_mc_mymission_3, 1, 0, Back_KY03.tga, txt_cit_02, 20, txt_history_tky_1, hist_map_teach, levels\levels\cm_users\New_KY_03.level;

Get it now!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:54:05 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »

You GO, Kyth! Thanks for this latest contribution!

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
WatchMan
Oberleutnant

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 08:10:59 PM »

Very nice work Kyth! And thank you the directory tree. I see you've been keeping very busy.  Wink

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country!"

George S. Patton
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 04:38:35 AM »

Hi, thanks for your comments everyone,

After trying out the mission(s), if you have any observations or suggestions, please let me know,

There are more on the way!

Regards,
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:52:58 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2010, 06:08:36 AM »

Hi Kyth you 3rd mission is a toughie all right!I love it because it packs a good tank battle and the element of surprise.

You seem to have an affinity for gloomy skies and rainy, blustery weather.... The sun seldom shines long on your missions.... Grin

Taking out the fast moving column is not too difficult.I destroyed 8 tanks in 5 minutes the first time I tried it.But you have to carefully manage your Panzergr. 39/75 otherwise you run out of it come the second wave and trying to kill KVs with sprengsgranate is akin to hunting a tiger with a 22 calibre rifle.....

Very well done! A two-stage mission.However playing it 6 times I found that:

your AI wingmen don't protect you. 3 times I was destroyed from behind by a Soviet tank sneaking up on me or flanking me while I was busy repelling frontal attacks while my wingmen stood by and acted only after my tank was on fire.

Did you consider adding some stugs III C/D to your missions? I feel they are better than the Panzer IVF1and provide good anti tank support.

Playing your mission 6 times trying out different positions has shown that no matter how I do it 2 things happen:

1) I run out of AT shells because I have to do most of the work myself and the 50 mm shells don't pack enough punch against heavy KVs or even the tough Mark IIs and IIIs unless you're within 3 to 400 metres.

2) I can't rely on my Zug because either they get killed early in the mission or else they are too passive..

To increase the friendly AI responsiveness I am giving them the full 100 experience factor in the ME.I am also considering substituting 3 stugs III C/D for 3 of the Pz IVs.I .I am also considering changing the Leihgesch. 105 to Flak 88 guns to bolster the village defence.

I'll test your mission again with those changes and see how it goes.My best score was 12 tanks destroyed ( what I did was to meet the second wave head on on top of the hill instead of waiting for them by the village )and despite that the Reds overran our position...Mind you; I always play with the enemy AI set at max both in numbers and experience...

BTW have you been able to win your mission?Huh? Huh?

Regards

Kyth between mission 1 and 3 I am sure which one is the best.You have the knack!!!!

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2010, 01:45:01 PM »

My best score was 12 tanks destroyed ( what I did was to meet the second wave head on on top of the hill instead of waiting for them by the village )and despite that the Reds overran our position...Mind you; I always play with the enemy AI set at max both in numbers and experience...

BTW have you been able to win your mission?Huh? Huh?

Hi Frinik,

Don't give up just yet! I must assure you, it is winnable (at level 5)  Undecided

I think I see the problem... you're facing the KV-1's and T-34's head-on.  In the little Panzer III? ...Not advisable...

Images of 'Custer's Last Stand' come to mind  Grin

My suggestion is, high-tail it over to the 2nd ambush position and take cover there (your platoon also). By 'cover', I mean one of the enemy wrecks, I assume you finished off the 1st wave without a problem. When facing down a KV-1, it's always a good idea to have a wreck between yourself and their 76.2mm. Preferably a Matilda  Wink

Remember, you want to do to the 2nd wave what you did to the 1st one! 

Not to put too fine a point to it, here's all the stale old advice on 'tanktics':

- Try for side shots, don't use up ammo on frontal armour;
- The Valentines and Matildas are tough, but armed with pop-guns. They're secondary targets...
- Use HE ammo to immobilize & demoralize; 
- Group tactics are key... Go where the other platoons go, time your actions with them, shoot when they shoot...
- :=Important=: ...Listen to the advice coming over the 'radio'. The old blowhard gives useful tips...

Anyway, glad to hear you're enjoying the mission. About the weather, don't worry, it'll change soon!

Regards,

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 11:53:41 AM »

Hi Kyth!

No way I am going to play it at level 5!!!! 8)

I know the Panzer III is lightly armoured and the effective range of it's 50mm is 500 metres and less( I have taken out T34s at 900 metres with it though).I tried the head on approach as I knew those tanks would be coming out of the woods and it almost worked I blasted 4 in 5 minutes.The problem is that the other surviving German tanks did not follow me nor did they provide me with cover fire

I tried staying in the village and got killed by a flanking T34.The second time a lucky shot disabled my gun.

I am not giving up I am going to try all positions until I WIN!

Don't underestimate the Mathildas and Mark IIs; their 45mms can damage your sights, disable your gun or kill your commander.The Panzer III is vulnerable to one of their shots at close range particularly on the sides and rear and even the front armour is not that thick.

Cheers

Smiley

Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »

That's okay, I think there's more than one way, to ace this one  Grin

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

Hello again!
Here's the 4th mission in the series, following the events in mission 3:

Kyth Mission 4

The enemy is planning another of their pre-dawn attacks. Your kampfgruppe's task is to launch a pre-dawn attack on the pre-dawn attackers!
Just don't let them pre-empt your pre-emptive strike...

Please download the mission here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/FORxPxHZ/KythMission04.html

And, add in this extra line to the 'user_camp.engcfg' file:

New_KY_04, txt_mc_mymission_4, 1, 0, Back_KY04.tga, txt_cit_02, 20, txt_history_tky_1, hist_map_teach, levels\levels\cm_users\New_KY_04.level;

Careful with this one, there's a lot of maneuvering to be done!

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 01:52:03 PM »

Hi Kyth! Yeah a new mission!I finally mastered the last one after 9 attempts.My Panzer III got badly conked but 11 Sov tanks destroyed and 59 infantrymen zapped.Looking forward to playing this one( just downloaded it!How come you're using a French download site?)

Ther' s a guy on tanksim  HQ who wants to buy SF but Amazon is asking $55.60 for a copy!!!!Talk about extortion....

Do you know an alternative where he could buy it at a reasonable price?

Cheers
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »

Hi Frinik,

Gamers Gate has Steel Fury available for digital download, at $19.95.

I assume you aced the mission at level 10!  Wink
What tactics / strategy did you use?

I had no clue about the download site! Anyway, it's reliable and user-friendly. The mission-building videos by Fabianfred are hosted there, so that's where I got the idea to use them. If you decide to post your missions, that's a good place,

Regards,

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:11 AM »

Hi Kyth!

Well after butting my head too many times and getting killed by assuming my natural offensive-minded posture I wisely decided to stay behind and let my fellow Panzer III deal with the brunt of the first Soviet attack. I then used a burning T34 as a cover to deal with the second wave.I used my HE against the first wave and kept my Pzgr 39 to cope with the KVs.I tried, based on experience, aiming for the fuel tanks ( to the rear of tank low just above the tracks). I only killed 8 tanks( slow day for me) including 3Kvs but finally the entire Sov attack was repelled with the enemy leaving all their tanks wrecked and only a few infantrymen who managed to flee the battleground.Only one Panzer III was left and mine, both damaged with  sights and my loader killed.All the At guns were gone except for one Pak38.It was a skin-thin victory but the Mission Successful message indicated MIssion Accomplished!Good solid mission with lots of manoeuvring, positioning, tactics and shooting skills required.Perfect training mission for future panzer crews!!!!

Played your mission 04 twice. First time, I took out 6 BT5s but then my wife started to talk to me and I was distracted for 2 minutes which was enough to get myself killed by another BT5.... Angry

Second time, I destroyed 3 BTs and one 76 mm but the mist( nice twist of yours Grin) prevented me from spotting the other 76mm AT ( as I said before I avoid looking at the in-game map once the mission has started to give more realism to the missions.) near the edge of the woods and my Panzer III was blown up by a flank shot which sent my crew ablaze and running wildy about( this is a gruesome but very realistic feature of the game which I like.).

Will go for 3 rd try tonight 8).Again mist and overcast skies and precious little light on the battlefiled which makes your mission all the more tough. Kyth.I'll bet you your favourite time of the year must be November or March!!!!!

Anyway very good mission

BTW where t do you get the name Potatopov?A joke? I believe the village name is Zelevnyii Gay or something like that....

Thanks for the info but Hemisent, the guy whom I was trying to help, decided to go for the Amazon rip-off.He said that he lives in the boonies and his limited download rate does not allow him to use digital downloads....Bummer.

He blames both you and I for his purchase as he said my beating the drums for SF and your missions have created an unbeatable addiction.

Keep-up the goodwork

Regards
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 01:41:50 PM »

He blames both you and I for his purchase as he said my beating the drums for SF and your missions have created an unbeatable addiction.

Heh heh 

I have no idea what to say  Grin

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 02:10:04 PM »

Hello!

I wonder if anyone has questions about my missions,

One thing I haven't gauged yet is, Are they too easy?  Grin Too difficult?

Please drop a line!

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 02:24:14 PM »

Hi Kyth!I definitely wouldn't call your missions too easy.If people think so let them play them at level 10 on the diffuclty slider.I think they offer a good balance of tactics and fighting skills.My only criticism would be to add to the variety of tanks on the German side, add Panzejäger, stugs, panzer II and may be another player tank than the Panzer III?

I like the weather that you use, gloomy, rainy, overcast perfect atmosphere for gritty, hard fought sluggers. Wink

My advice you're good at making them .Keep them coming!

Best

Frinik
Stig
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »

Not questions, but perhaps comments and suggestions...

1) None of the missions has anything like a briefing. Just "Huh?" And judging from the comments above, #3 seems to cry out for a custom briefing!  Do you plan to write briefings or... wait for it... create a tutorial on how one amends/adds mission briefings to scenarios Cheesy ?

2) You've got 4 missions now, and seemingly more to follow! Great! Now they begin to scream to be their own little mini-campaign. So again, the questions on how to edit the files and .engcfg files to get them out of the "User Made Mission" section of the interface and into a "Kyth's Missions" (or perhaps something with a different title...) section.

My Gaming Rig:
i5 2500K Quad-Core CPU at 3.3GHz
MSI P67A-C43 mobo
4GB of PC12800 DDR3 memory
1GB Galaxy GeForce GTX550 Ti video card GeForce 270.61 drivers (4/2011)
Cougar joystick/throttle combo
CH Pedals
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 02:34:37 AM »

1) None of the missions has anything like a briefing. Just "Huh?" And judging from the comments above, #3 seems to cry out for a custom briefing!  Do you plan to write briefings or... wait for it... create a tutorial on how one amends/adds mission briefings to scenarios Cheesy ?

Hi Stig,

Now that's a little baffling, all the missions have a short writeup, useful information and a list of objectives in the briefing screen...

You were able to complete the missions without all that useful stuff??  Shocked

I know Mission 3 is a tough one, mainly because of the enemy hordes.  Grin

If you don't get the briefing as shown below, that could be a problem,
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:38:19 PM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 02:02:16 AM »

Yes, in the coming year I will post a tutorial on 'stringing together missions for a campaign'; look out for it at the SimHQ forum  Smiley

By the way, this is no mini-campaign, I've barely gotten started  Grin

"Yes."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: