Graviteam
April 18, 2024, 03:50:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How to install the August Patch  (Read 29827 times)
Txema
Generalmajor

« on: October 19, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »

It is easy if you follow these steps carefully:

1) Download:
- the core update (op_star_game_update_v581_eng.exe)
http://www.graviteam.com/AP-STAR/op_star_game_update_v581_eng.exe

and

- the game patch (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension)
http://www.graviteam.com/AP-STAR/k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension

2) Double click on the core update (op_star_game_update_v581_eng.exe) to start installing it.

3) VERY IMPORTANT: Make sure that the destination folder is pointing to the actual folder where you have installed the game. The default destination folder is most of the times wrong !!

4) When the core update has been installed a window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the game pacth (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension).

5) Click on the "Install" button and select the game patch file (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension)

6) A clock will appear while the game pacth is being installed. Wait until the installation is finished

7) Now that you are back to the "Game updater" window, click on the "Save and Play" button.

8 ) You go back to the Achtung Panzer game with the core update and game patch properly installed. The main menu in the game should say "Version 5.81 (1980), Update Aug 12".

That's all !!

Txema
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:57:40 PM by Txema » Logged
cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »

Tnahk you. Very clear instructions, but unfortunately don't solve my problem.

I have the game update loaded - game menu shows version 5.81 (1939). But when that update was installed the updater window DIDN'T "pop-up". Nothing happened.

I have the August patch (340 MB zip folder) sitting on the desktop. There isn't anything that I can do with it - it won't open with anything, it won't install when selected manually from the updater - I am guessing because there is no add-ons / desc.add pack file there for the updater to use. I can't decompress the patch file either - that just gives a series of errors. In short, I am stuck!

Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »

OK, if you need to install just the game patch (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension) because you have already installed the core update (op_star_game_update_v581_eng.exe), then do the following:

1) Download the game patch (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension)

Please take into account that what you need is just the file "k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension". You DON´T need to unpack it or anything else. The extension of the file is ".gt2extension" and its size is around 479 MB. I use "Google Chrome" and I can download it without problems...

2) Launch Achtung Panzer Operation Star

3) When you are on the main menu of the game click on the line at the upper right corner that indicates the version of the game. It should say something like: "Version 5.81 (1980), Update XXXXXX

Now follow the same steps as in my previous post:

4) A window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the game pacth (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension).

5) Click on the "Install" button and select the game patch file (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension)

6) A clock will appear while the game pacth is being installed. Wait until the installation is finished

7) Now that you are back to the "Game updater" window, click on the "Save and Play" button.

8 ) You go back to the Achtung Panzer game with the core update and game patch properly installed. The main menu in the game should say "Version 5.81 (1980), Update Aug 12".

VERY IMPORTANT: If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, please make sure that your game is NOT installed in the "C:/Program Files" directory. Install it in a custom directory like "C:/Games" or something like that.

Txema

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:54:48 PM by Txema » Logged
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »

Just one additional thing:

I have been testing with "Internet Explorer" and I have noticed that when I download the game patch file from:

using "Internet Explorer" the extension of the file is automatically changed to ".zip" and I get the file: k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.zip

If you are experiencing this problem then just change the extension of the game patch file to ".gt2extension" in such a way that its name is:
k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng.gt2extension

Txema
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 06:56:01 PM by Txema » Logged
cullen-skink
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »

Hello, Txema

A very big thank you. Very clear and precise instructions which (finally) have worked! Version 5.81, Update Aug 12 showing. Thank you also to "dane" if he/she is reading this.

It seems the issue was threefold. Firstly and most importantly, the downloaded patch wasn't actually complete first time I tried (it was 355 MB rather than 479, as you said). This was even though my computer said it had completed downloading - no idea why that was.

Secondly, yes, I was trying to use a zip file, not the gt2 version.

Thirdly - my fault - when installing, I got a warning message, which was in REALLY convoluted English saying

"To remove the update, restart the game. Click OK to close the game and install the update. If failed, run this program again and restart installation"

Which I wrongly interpreted as "I have done something wrong".

Thank you all very much for your patience. How I wish there was something like a straightforward supermod like Silent Hunter had with Grey Wolves X, everything in one place, all done in two clicks...

Got there in the end though. Only problem is that now I am too knackered and bleary-eyed to play tonight! The Eastern (or Western, if you are Ukranian) Front will have wait until tomorrow...

WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »

If I can jump in here with a similar question...

Thanks for the explanation, but I have a question about earlier patches. I bought this game in January, but never played it after my first attempt. It just seemed more trouble than it was worth (especially given the tutorial!). Now, I've got a new computer and would like to try it again sometime, so I've downloaded the game again from GamersGate.

GamersGate also shows three downloadable patches:

k43t_apos_patch_may12_eng_v3

op_star_game_update_v580_eng_v2

k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng

I don't know if the game I've just downloaded already includes those patches or not. (Given the replies to my earlier post, I suspect not.) I don't know what they are. I don't know if they all need to be installed and in what order. And I don't know if they're even necessary, given the info in this post. Should I just install these August patches instead? Or should the August patches be installed on top of the patches from GamersGate?

And yes, I've got Windows 7 now, so I'm a little worried about this post, too. But maybe that's a rare problem?

I like complex games, but not when it comes to installing them! And sometimes, a game is just more frustrating than fun. But I really would like to give this another try - maybe not right away (I'm in the middle of two other games), but soon.

Txema, your instructions were very clear, so could you tell me what I'm supposed to do with these patches from GamersGate first? Or are they included in the August patch? (Since they're selling the game on GamersGate, I'm surprised the patches haven't been updated there.)

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »

I'm sure I'll be corrected by someone if I'm wrong but Eng 5.81 and the August patch are still beta.  That is perhaps why GG does not offer them yet.  As far as I know Graviteam patches are all inclusive.  Therefore you don't need to worry about earlier, intermediate patches.  You can just patch to the latest ones.

Bring back 3D markers!
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 06:51:44 PM »

GamersGate also shows three downloadable patches:

k43t_apos_patch_may12_eng_v3

op_star_game_update_v580_eng_v2

k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng

Txema, your instructions were very clear, so could you tell me what I'm supposed to do with these patches from GamersGate first? Or are they included in the August patch? (Since they're selling the game on GamersGate, I'm surprised the patches haven't been updated there.)

The new August Patches include the first 2 patches available at GamersGate:

- op_star_game_update_v580_eng_v2
- k43t_apos_patch_may12_eng_v3

So you don't have to install them anymore. I guess that GamersGate is not offering the new August Patches because they are in open beta testing right now...

The last patch offered by GamersGate (k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng.exe) is an optional patch to improve the maps of the game. It is not indispensable to install it, but it is recommendable. To install it you have to proceed in a similar way as to install the game patch (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension), but you have to unpack this patch first (k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng.exe). Let's see:

1) Unpack "k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng.exe" to a new folder by double clicking on it.

2) Launch Achtung Panzer Operation Star

3) When you are on the main menu of the game click on the line at the upper right corner that indicates the version of the game. It should say something like: "Version 5.81 (1939), Update XXXXXX

4) A window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the pacth (k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng).

5) Click on the "Install" button and navigate through the folders of the unpacked patch until you arrive to a file named "desc.addpack". Select it.
VERY IMPORTANT: to be able to see and select the "desc.addpack" file it is necessary to click on the "button" of the lower right corner of the window and select the extension "Addons *.addpack"

6) A clock will appear while the pacth is being installed. Wait until the installation is finished

8 ) You go back to the Achtung Panzer game with the patch installed.

Txema

WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 12:29:51 AM »

OK, thanks for the instructions. Very clear.

I'll probably install the August patches, and if I have that problem with the mouse cursor, I'll just uninstall the game and re-install it with the earlier patches.

Thanks for the replies!
xandu
Hauptmann

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:34:07 AM »

My game ran fine with the August patch, however when I install the patch (k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng) my units begin to move without precision and not finalize a move aimed at orderly direction. At other times even being driven to make a path for roads, they do not obey. Someone is having the same problem?
mpkev31b
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »

ok im having this problem with installing the patch, i downloaded the core update, and the beta patch

installed the core update to my game directory it was ok the update window pop'ed up and i clicked install and clicked the  beta2 extension as soon as i did this a notepad window pops up with "last_bug" with  2 lines of "question marks?" and nothing. now i cant even Run APOS it wont even open. What the fuck?
mpkev31b
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

4) When the core update has been installed a window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the game pacth (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension).

5) Click on the "Install" button and select the game patch file (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension)

did all of that and i click install and select (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension)

and a windows note pad window opens with header "Last_bug" opens with Question mark text.

and now i am unable to run APOS game at all.
mpkev31b
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 05:22:56 PM »

forgive me for my computer ignorance but how do i unpack the extension file patch?

better yet can you break it down barney style for me? again sorry im not to computer savy at times.
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:16 PM »

OK, I think it's working now. I went ahead and installed all of the May updates first, then the August updates. That seemed to work (although I haven't started playing yet). So I've edited away my previous question here. Sorry for the bother!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:01:50 PM by WCG » Logged
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »

OK, I think it's working now. I went ahead and installed all of the May updates first, then the August updates. That seemed to work (although I haven't started playing yet).

Well, no, that didn't work at all. Now, I can't even get the game to start. I get this error:

Critical error
     002: An error has occurred while initializing objects

[ i_opgame:opgame -> i_lines2d:lines2d ]

I suppose I'll have to uninstall the game and start all over. But, frankly, I'm wondering if that's even worth it. I bought this game last January, and it's been so much trouble just getting STARTED that I've never been able to play it.

And I still remember how terrible that tutorial was. Frankly, you really have to want to play this game, don't you? Or isn't it this much trouble for everyone?
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »

It is painful to patch and the tutorial is crap BUT it is worth all the effort once you get into it.  Keep trying.  There must be some little step that is just not going right for you but it is a fine game once you get it running.

Bring back 3D markers!
xandu
Hauptmann

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:35 PM »

Is there any sequence in the list of installed patches that appear in game updater?
The district uptade should be first on the list with the August patch installed?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »

The district uptade should be first on the list with the August patch installed?
In this case it doesn't matter. Any order as you like.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Scupper
Oberleutnant

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »

I've been struggling to patch this game too for a few days. The basic Gamer's Gate game runs fine (v5.75) but after I try to patch it with the Core Update_v581(ENG) the game won't open at all from its Starter program (i.e. the APOS icon). Nothing happens, so I have to reinstall v5.75 from my backup to get the game back to its working state.

I think this is my problem:

"4) When the core update has been installed a window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the game pacth (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension)."

The Game Updater window pops up, empty, and I don't know where to find the k43t...file, - I've searched my computer and can't find it. I tried pressing the Save and Play button but that didn't do anything. I'm using Chrome.

I used to have trouble like this with patches ten or more years ago but I don't expect them these days... Any suggestions much appreciated.  Roll Eyes
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »

"4) When the core update has been installed a window named "Game updater" will pop up. You have to use that window to install the game pacth (k43t_apos_patch_aug12_eng_beta2.gt2extension)."

The Game Updater window pops up, empty, and I don't know where to find the k43t...file, - I've searched my computer and can't find it.
Do you download it ?

Download a patch so that you can find it.
Right click in Browser on the link, choose Save As ..., and now attention! Choose a folder on your computer that you can find just the second time.
In the combo box (in updater, open file dialog), you can choose to show all files, in case you somehow to rename or saved without the extension.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: