Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 06:00:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble installing the game  (Read 5480 times)
WCG
Oberleutnant

« on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:53 PM »

OK, I'd hijacked a different thread, but I finally thought I'd better start a new one for this. I bought the game last January, but a combination of bugs and that awful tutorial led me to give up in disgust before I actually had a chance to play it. Now, I've got a new computer and I'm trying again.

But when I installed it, and all the patches (including the August beta patches), I couldn't get the game to run at all. I got this error when I tried:

Critical error
     002: An error has occurred while initializing objects

[ i_opgame:opgame -> i_lines2d:lines2d ]

So, I'm trying yet again. I uninstalled the game and then deleted everything left behind from the uninstall (I deleted the entire Achtung Panzer Operation Star folder). Now, I've just re-installed the original game from GamersGate (no patches, not yet).

At this point, I can get into the game. However, I see I still have a game profile and my options are already changed (to turn the music off). Therefore, there must be something from the previous install saved on the computer somewhere else. Can someone please tell me where? I suppose I'm just overlooking it, but where does the game save this stuff? I want to delete that previous info before going any further.

Note that, in my earlier install, there was a folder inside a "Profiles" folder under "Users," which is in the main "Achtung Panzer Operation Star" folder. I assumed that was where the game saved my profile (reasonable, right?), but I deleted that. Indeed, there isn't even a "Profiles" folder there now. But I still have a profile. And, as I say, it's kept the settings I'd changed in the options.

I can't figure out how to delete the old profile from within the game, either. Is there a folder somewhere I can delete (there must be saved info. somewhere)? Or can you tell me how to delete that old profile from within the game? I want to do that before I continue with the patching.

Thanks.

Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 08:17:25 PM »

I can't figure out how to delete the old profile from within the game, either. Is there a folder somewhere I can delete (there must be saved info. somewhere)? Or can you tell me how to delete that old profile from within the game? I want to do that before I continue with the patching.

Go to your profiles page(Top line item when game opens) and make a new profile by clicking on the green + mark.

After you have typed in a new name for your new profile press enter.

You should have 2 different profile names now.

You have to have at least 1,but now you are able to delete the old one by clicking on the red x to the right of the old profile name.

After you have done that only the new profile name should be on that page.

If you did a clean erase and reinstalled from scratch the game will automatically assign you an initial profile name(usually your computer name and most likely the same name you had for previous game)
It should have no memory from your last game that you erased and the new name assigned after fresh install should be good to use.

But,you can use the steps above if you want to have a new game profile name.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:30:07 PM by dane49 » Logged
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

If you did a clean erase and reinstalled from scratch the game will automatically assign you an initial profile name(usually your computer name and most likely the same name you had for previous game)

OK, that makes sense, since it's just my first name, and that's what they put as my computer name when I bought it, too.

However, I'm still puzzle by the settings, since the music was already turned off (and the sound turned down, too). I still think there's somewhere the game has saved this stuff, although deleting the old profile should get rid of it, I suppose.

Here's another puzzler. I just noticed that there are two folders full of links in my Start menu, and they're slightly different. One is just under "Achtung Panzer Operation Star," while the other has that folder within a "Graviteam" folder.

But as I say, they're not exactly the same. The first has links to manuals under "Documentation," while the second has them under "Manuals." The first has a folder called "Editors and Mod Tools," while the second has one called "Modwork." One of them, apparently, is left over from my previous install - just another thing the uninstall didn't remove - but I'm not sure which one. Well, I guess I'll worry about that later.

Thanks again for the info!
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »

Originally, I installed APOS to the default "Program Files" folder.  Later, due to patching issues, I uninstalled APOS and then re-installed in a simple "Achtung Panzer" folder on the C drive.  I strangely still have a "Graviteam" folder in my old directory.  I'm pretty certain that APOS doesn't use any of these files at all.

Every time a new patch comes out, I have to try to remember the correct way to patch the program.  I usually make a few mistakes a first.

My most common mistake: not specifying the exact location of the program when using the self-installer, I believe the folder with the "starter.exe" program.  By default, APOS never picks the correct location.  If I let the installer run wild on its own, there no telling what kind of strange Graviteam folders will start showing up in other locations.

Even if done right, I often get errors that make no sense what-so-ever.
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »

OK, this is the craziest thing in the world! This time, apparently, it's the May patches which are (were?) causing me problems. None of this makes any sense to me at all:

The game worked after the original download. I then created a new player profile and deleted the old one. (I don't know if that was necessary, but see below.)

I unpacked k43t_apos_patch_may12_eng_v3.exe into a subfolder within the game folder, and then ran op_star_game_update_v580_eng_v2.exe. That seemed to update successfully, and when it closed, it opened the game updater. I pointed it to the correct file within "Core" within that new folder I'd just created, and it successfully applied the patch.

And when I clicked on the Exit and Play button, it started the game just fine. Note that I looked at the player profiles, and there was just a new one, under the default name of my computer. Apparently, it had deleted that player profile I created earlier - or so I thought.

At this point, everything looked fine. So I exited the game and tried to start it again. But it wouldn't start. I got that same error message I noted before.

This time, I opened the Game Updater again, but there was no game update listed. Why not? You've got me! So I went through the same procedure as before in applying the May patch. (The game did remember the location of that file I'd just installed.) Again, it installed successfully, and when I clicked on Exit and Play, the game started, as before.

This time, though, when I looked in Player Profiles, there were two listed, the default profile and that new one I'd created earlier. Why? What had happened to that profile earlier? I have no idea. But I could exit the game and start it again. I deleted that profile I'd created earlier, and I can still start the game successfully. But I sure don't understand what's different this time!

So, I guess I'll install that May map update (k43t_apos_upd_dist_taran_rakit_may12_eng.exe) next, once I get it downloaded again. (Somehow, I lost it after all this moving files around.) If that works, I suppose I'll move on to the August patches. But I hope the game isn't screwing up anything else on my computer! Frankly, my confidence in Graviteam is just about zero at this point! (I've still got those two separate bunches of links in my Start menu.)
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:29 PM »

I unpacked k43t_apos_patch_may12_eng_v3.exe into a subfolder within the game folder, and then ran op_star_game_update_v580_eng_v2.exe. That seemed to update successfully,

Is this your error?  Instead of unpacking it, point it to the game directory and it will self-unpack and self-install.  I hope so, If I remember correctly.

Can anybody else confirm this first?  It has been a few months, but I think this may be the problem.

Nothing in the patching process makes much sense.  Yes, it is logical to believe I should unpack a file somewhere different than the program before running it, but perhaps not in this case.  I actually get confusing error messages when I do it correctly.
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »

Is this your error?  Instead of unpacking it, point it to the game directory and it will self-unpack and self-install.  I hope so, If I remember correctly.

Thanks, but I don't think that's correct. The game engine will self-install, but not the other patches, which use the Game Updater.

But I THINK I've got the game working now. It hasn't been easy, and I still don't know why it keeps failing. However, I've apparently got the 5.81 game engine, the 3.09 patch update, and the 1.03 district update. (As much trouble as this has been, I'd be terrified of actually purchasing any of the DLC!)

After my above post, I installed the May district map update. That worked, although... well, it worked, at least. Then, I installed the August game engine update. When the Game Installer popped up, it didn't include my previous patch, so I thought something was wrong. But I closed it, opened it up again, and things looked fine.

Then I tried to install the August patch, that .gt2extension file. That looked like it was working, but it also gave me a flickering command line screen, in a separate window, that seemed to indicate a failure due to lack of permissions. (Note that I live alone, this is my computer, and there is no other account on it.) And sure enough, when I tried to start the game after that, I got that familiar error message instead.

I went back to the Game Updater, which showed only the district update installed (not the May patch, for some reason), so I just tried the whole thing all over again. I didn't change anything. I just dd the same thing all over again, installing that .gt2extension file the same way I did the first time, and this time it seems to have worked. At least, I can get into the game now. As long as 3.09 is the correct game update, I should be good to go - assuming that nothing else goes wrong.

I don't know how to start that tutorial again, or even if I should. Frankly, it was infuriating the first time I tried it, clear back in January (since I couldn't get it to pause or even slow down). But hey, I can get to the menu at least. That's progress! Smiley

Thanks for the help.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »

(As much trouble as this has been, I'd be terrified of actually purchasing any of the DLC!)

Actually the DLCs are very simple to install.
It's the patches and Engine that are the hard part.

Have you installed the June directx update also?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
WCG
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:28 AM »

Have you installed the June directx update also?

No, but now that I've finally got this game running, I don't want to mess it up.  Smiley

Besides, my computer is only a month old. I would think that DirectX would already be up-to-date.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: