Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 12:58:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
  Print  
Author Topic: March 2013 update (news and discussion)  (Read 199087 times)
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #140 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:35 AM »

I posted this in the Feedback Thread.

'Andrey, what is bothering me about the sounds, especially the vehicle sounds is this;

If I have the camera positioned on the tank I get the loudest sounds, as you would expect.

As I rotate the camera the sounds get more quiet. Maybe not entirely realistic but it does convey that I am not focused on that area and allows for direction determination, even if the camera/position wasn't moved much in terms of distance. This is something I would definitely not change.

But as I continue to rotate the camera away from the vehicle the sounds disappear completely even though the vehicle is still very close.

My suggestion, if it were possible, would be to put a limit on how low of a level the sounds go to while still being in close proximity to the source. i.e. Make them low and muffled but not gone completely.

That and a lot of the unit weapons sounds do not come through when firing. Also, it seems as though some of the sounds have a 'scratchy' sound like the quality is not the best. I can't put my finger on exactly what is missing, but there just doesn't seem to be enough getting through.

Again, it is the disappearing sounds when you rotate away from the view of its source that is the biggest problem.

Hope this makes sense.

If you can not understand that I can repost it maybe more clear so that you can translate it better.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:40:02 AM by Missouri_Rebel » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #141 on: January 19, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »

But as I continue to rotate the camera away from the vehicle the sounds disappear completely even though the vehicle is still very close.
Sounds like bug.
What is your sound card?
Are quality sound is on? (try disable if enabled)

My suggestion, if it were possible, would be to put a limit on how low of a level the sounds go to while still being in close proximity to the source. i.e. Make them low and muffled but not gone completely.
This is not necessary, as you know the developers have set such a limit. They also play their game and even tanks have seen and heard, not only in the pictures.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »

I disabled high quality sounds.

I don't think I have a sound card and use the ones from the motherboard, a gigabyte z68 motherboard. Can that be right?  I'll open the case tomorrow.

I tried again and I have good tank sounds while facing it. If I move the camera up to it and the just pat it the sound is gone.

I have sound about 180 degrees around the tank. About 90 degrees to either side.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:51:19 AM by Missouri_Rebel » Logged
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #143 on: January 19, 2013, 08:58:05 AM »

Sounds

I find the sounds quite good.  The only things I have done are to disable music in-game and turn off voices because they were too repetitive.  But those are just my preferences.

Burning troops

Definitely too many burning casualties on the map.  In some battles it's up to 50% of all casualties - way too high.

I understand that you wouldn't want to actually get hit by a smoke round, but the chances of that are tiny...
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »

Sounds

I find the sounds quite good.  The only things I have done are to disable music in-game and turn off voices because they were too repetitive.  But those are just my preferences.

Burning troops

Definitely too many burning casualties on the map.  In some battles it's up to 50% of all casualties - way too high.

I understand that you wouldn't want to actually get hit by a smoke round, but the chances of that are tiny...

No your right.  If you call in arty just right on infantry 1/2 them end up running around on fire.  Well, you get the idea. 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

This issue happens if in Windows in sound setting you set, for example 5.1 profile, but as fact use stereo headphones or two dynamics.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
orson
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2013, 10:08:32 PM »

I like the sound effects in general , turn my bass up high to get that "in your chest" thump from artillery  Grin

....but i have to switch off the sound during air raids , the bomb falling sound is horrible , sounds like one of those cheap sound effect keyrings  Cry

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:10 AM »

Thanks.

I thought that most WW2 smoke was chemical smoke and not WP?  Isn't WP more of a Vietnam and cold war thing?

WP was used extensively in WW2 by the allies in mortar and artillery shells.

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2013, 01:47:45 AM »

Sounds

Burning troops

Are they WP rounds?  If they are WP can be set to explode above ground level and cover a wide area.

Bring back 3D markers!
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #149 on: January 20, 2013, 07:16:57 AM »

This issue happens if in Windows in sound setting you set, for example 5.1 profile, but as fact use stereo headphones or two dynamics.

спасибі  спасибі  спасибі  Я відсутня так багато. Так набагато краще. Звучить непогано зараз.спасибі
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #150 on: January 20, 2013, 07:19:43 AM »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:50:24 PM by Missouri_Rebel » Logged
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #151 on: January 20, 2013, 07:25:11 AM »

I like the sound effects in general , turn my bass up high to get that "in your chest" thump from artillery  Grin

....but i have to switch off the sound during air raids , the bomb falling sound is horrible , sounds like one of those cheap sound effect keyrings  Cry

But those diving Stukas sound great. Every time I hear them I keep waiting for Goodbye Blue Skies from Pink Floyd to start playing.

Andrey, thanks for the audio help. Changing from 5.1 to Stereo did the trick.

A question;

Are there any command prompts to let the camera rotate freely at the higher levels for wider view?

Андрій, див. відповідь 149
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 02:49:42 PM by Missouri_Rebel » Logged
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:04 AM »

Thanks.

I thought that most WW2 smoke was chemical smoke and not WP?  Isn't WP more of a Vietnam and cold war thing?

WP was used extensively in WW2 by the allies in mortar and artillery shells.

Well, maybe.  I've read a lot of WW2 history and I don't recall burning troops hot by WP being mentioned as a particularly common sight.  In fact, I don't recall ever reading about that.

I still think - too many burning men running around the GTOS maps.  There's a risk this will turn into another RTS fantasy game if the devs are not careful.  At the moment, it's the most realistic WW2 Sim I've ever known, so I hope they stay on the pure realism track.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2013, 05:51:26 PM »

Fair enough, but your question was whether WP was used in WW2 or not.

Bring back 3D markers!
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2013, 08:10:18 PM »

Are there any command prompts to let the camera rotate freely at the higher levels for wider view?
I second that. I'd like to see an option to unlock the camera height and rotation (at higher altitudes) caps.
Also, an option for tweaking fog (far distance clip plane?) would be nice.
JamesX
Hauptmann

« Reply #155 on: January 22, 2013, 08:11:51 AM »

Back to the hot subject of fire!

- In OS shells often start fires on the ground.  Sure it looks good. But would a shell really cause a fire on a bare bit of snow - which is frozen water!  It's not realistic. Look at any real film footage of shell bursts & all you get is a burst of earth & a bit of smoke.

Also I agree with the earlier posts - there are way too many burning men running around.  Choose realisum over effects please!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:18:31 AM by JamesX » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »

Back to the hot subject of fire!

- In OS shells often start fires on the ground.  Sure it looks good. But would a shell really cause a fire on a bare bit of snow - which is frozen water!  It doesnt seem realistic, look at any real film footage of shell bursts & all you get is a burst of earth & a bit of smoke.

True that.  Does not seem vary likely to set a fire in the snow.  Certainly not often.  Cheesy 

Yabba dabba do
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2013, 06:04:25 PM »

Fair enough, but your question was whether WP was used in WW2 or not.

Well, I did ask the question in the context of all the burning troopers Smiley

If the game models WP shells for smoke that DON'T set fire to everyone near the impact, then I'll have no complaints to make LOL
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2013, 06:11:40 PM »

I wish I had a screenie, but I don't. 

Anyway, the AI pushed armor and infantry straight at the left of my lines across a river, so I moved a platoon of T34s out of their dug-in positions on the right of the line (they had no LoS from there) to the flank of the AI's advance.  My tanks were hull down and behind a treeline and they started wreaking havoc.

Within about a minute the AI had flanked my tanks in turn, moving up 3 Marders I hadn't spotted - seems they were held in reserve.  Boom, boom, boom and it was all over - burning T34s everywhere.  I was very impressed at the fact that there was an AI reserve and also at the way it moved its Marders behind the cover of a wood to take me in the flank.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2013, 07:30:51 AM »

- In OS shells often start fires on the ground.  Sure it looks good. But would a shell really cause a fire on a bare bit of snow - which is frozen water!  It's not realistic. Look at any real film footage of shell bursts & all you get is a burst of earth & a bit of smoke.
Yes this is a bug. Fixed.
Will be depends on dry grass cover, wet conditions and soil properties.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:35:25 AM by andrey12345 » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22
  Print  

Jump to: