Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 03:35:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: New UI  (Read 20156 times)
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 01:06:03 PM »

Looking at those screen shots, make the minimap smaller (same size as the old one, that area covers way to much screen space ). Yes you can get rid but I want it there just not so big, also make the unit message box smaller. No need to show so many messages the last two or three would be fine then get rid of the transparency as it's hard on the eyes.

I agree with Capt the clock looks so much better there and more in keeping with the UI design than at th moment.

Finally make all icons a touch smaller. Again no need for them to be so big unless it was really designed with higher res in mind? My res is 1440x900.

As for the Russian community not complaining I think there is a difference between Russian gamers and Western Gamers as in the West Russian games are renowned for strange UI's yet obviously the Russians like them.

Here and at The Matrix a fair few agree the new UI has it's issues and for me the old one was better.

Stand back and take a look at Cpt screenies. Cut out all the areas where the UI is (You can cut out all the screen along the bottom as more UI appears there when you click a unit. Cut out map and message box and clock. Your left with a very small space for the actual battle. I'd say nearly 50% of the screen is taken up by the UI more or less.

I'd like to see a screenshot of the new UI (with all of it showing i.e select a squad) compared to the old UI to see the difference.

I see you mention symmetry, which isn't as important as screen space I'm afraid. You quest for symmetry is backfiring. No one is bothered. Infact many UI's have no symmetry and there no worse for it. For instance ther eis no need at all for suc a big message box you odiously realised this so made it transparent, which to me juts makes it harder to read, you still dont really notice anything behind it. Also if the icons allround weren't so big it wouldn't look odd at all if not symmetrical. Again you saying the clock is no good where Capt put it means your trying to go for some kind of aesthetic over practicality. Which is a no no.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:19:49 PM by wodin » Logged
GBS
Major

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 01:16:24 PM »

Allow me to take a break from all this bitching (by just two guys) to thank andrey and Gaviteam for continuing to stay in touch with its fan base and trying to improve our gaming experience.
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:44 PM »

Allow me to take a break from all this bitching (by just two guys) to thank andrey and Gaviteam for continuing to stay in touch with its fan base and trying to improve our gaming experience.

It's not "bitching". It's criticism, a big difference. Don't ever volunteer for Beta testing as you'd never bring anything up. I say similar things and critique more in my beta testing of Tigers in my emails to Scott, he never takes issue but actually takes alot onboard.You may love the UI and everything they do, I on the other hand will say something if I don't like it. Also go read the thread and Matrix as a few say they aren't happy but will "live with it".

I expect you've got a decent size monitor and play at a high res so the issue isn't as apparent. Good for you.

Finally this is a massive change to an already released game, which I was very happy with. So yes when a change like this (which wasn't necessary) impacts on the game enough for me to have a serious issue with it I will voice it.

As far as Garviteam goes you could go back a few years now across many forums and see me say I never had a problem with the UI both here and with APK42. I've done plenty of praising of Graviteam and a few years ago tried to get something sorted between Matrix and Graviteam over Steel Fury. David Heath if I remember said he didn't get a reply at the time.

This thread isn't about praise it's about a legitimate issue. If you want to praise them open up a thread of your own.

I will say thanks for the other changes and for replying here though. At the moment though the UI  (Size not functionality) has taken away a fair bit from my enjoyment of the game.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:34:46 PM by wodin » Logged
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:45 PM »

Looking at those screen shots, make the minimap smaller (same size as the old one, that area covers way to much screen space ).

I'd like to see the old round minimap.

I'm wondering if it is possible to open up APK and transplant the old round minimap into APOS?

Turning the minimap off is an option, but for me it functions as a type of compass.
Capt Sam
Major

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »

First of all, thank you Andrey for all your hard work and APOS is certainly once of the best games ever made!  Thanks for responding to my comments and suggestions.

Now, having said that, I will return to criticizing any aspect of this game that I think needs improvement.  I'm happy to make suggestions along with my criticism and provide valid arguments why I think changes are needed.    If nobody agree with me, that's fine.

Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »

Thanks Graviteam for the new patch, and Nightpostman for the skin mod!
The new UI is OK, but I don´t like the new time acceleration. Why there are squares instead of numbers?
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 03:42:50 PM »

I will still play it. Just hope they see sense. I expect that haven't tried it out on a 19inch Monitor. If they had done they'd certainly made everything smaller.

All the UI buttons can be minimised.  I am now pausing to give commands or look around and minimising the main button areas to watch the action.

Not perfect, but this game is a work in progress and one thing we have seen is the the devs listen to us and they stick with the thing - not like some I could name!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:43 PM »

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions!
I can say that, old not exactly back Cheesy, but I think some changes in the next patch will be in the UI too.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 08:13:37 PM »

Screenshot attached. Not sure how to embed.

Andrey thanks for looking at this for me and anyone else having problems. I second others in saying your a damn fine developer which is rare these days.

On another note I bought a 6850 graphics card recently and ever since in game letters always appear blurred and patchy. It must be a seting I have on the card. Does anyone know whats doing it? Happens in most games. Thanks
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 08:15:26 PM by wodin » Logged
Icebox
Oberleutnant

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 08:45:08 PM »

Screenshot attached. Not sure how to embed.

Andrey thanks for looking at this for me and anyone else having problems. I second others in saying your a damn fine developer which is rare these days.

On another note I bought a 6850 graphics card recently and ever since in game letters always appear blurred and patchy. It must be a seting I have on the card. Does anyone know whats doing it? Happens in most games. Thanks

Try turning off MLAA ( morphological AA )  and   Surface Format Optimisation in catalyst control center
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »

Thanks mate. They where enabled. When should those two be ticked?
Icebox
Oberleutnant

« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »

Thanks mate. They where enabled. When should those two be ticked?

Not sure, just read a post by someone that found the fix on the amd forums.
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

I find the new U.I. to be a small, but good improvement. It somehow looks slightly more professional and clear to my eyes, and I like that the command panel is hidden when no unit is selected. An interface that keeps every non-relevant things hidden until needed is always good. But as some already mentioned, may I also say, that the general size of the new U.I. and the message box could be smaller. Smiley

Edit.

p.s. to Andrey: When "show distance and LOS" is enabled (option 8.12), range value is not shown clearly under the cursor (the cursor overlaps the value). I think you may want to take a look on that.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 11:33:09 AM by lavish » Logged
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:55 PM »

Been playing again today. I'm getting used to it. hough I think the arty UI is less intuitive (preferred seeing a flag icon to click rather than right clicking the target ref point) though it's pretty minor quibble.

Really it's all about the size of the UI. It' need decreasing a fair bit. There is no need for such large buttons\icons they could be at least a 1/3rd smaller. Also reduce the mini map and message box (keep the last three or four messages and give us an option to get rid of transparency.
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »

Long term players like Wodin generally only complain when they love a game and have high hopes for it.  Their complaints are an opportunity for improvement, no more, no less Smiley
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »

Thanks Redmarkus, you are correct aswell. I moan the most at my favourite games or games with loads of potential.

You know me well;)

Just noticed the smaller UI in the ext patch. big thanks.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:58:35 PM by wodin » Logged
TacKLed
Oberleutnant

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 12:16:49 AM »

I like the UI in this game. In the first AP, I didnt like the UI but this one gets the job done.
Redmarkus4
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:44 PM »

I think the Aug12 UI will address most of Wodin's concerns.  The Mini Map needs to be re sizable though - a tad too small now for most tastes, I expect.
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »

Hi Andrey, would it be possible to make a list of operations only in the operation status without showing missions?
Now when you open the campaign one of the operations always shows individual missions.

nuNce
Oberleutnant

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »

I'm bumping this thread to give my personal opinion for the interface as a new player. And I just love it over the old Kharkov one. Much easier to use, though still not perfect.

I have a quick suggestion for the forces interface, where you can see the composition of your army:

• First, please make it that when you expand a platoon it doesn't move the whole list to the top, it's really confusing
  • Second, please make a small indent to symbolize the heirarchy, just like that:

• Division 1
    • Company A
      • Platoon 1
      • Platoon 2
    • Company B
      • Platoon 1
      • Platoon 2
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: