Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 09:06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: SF Likes and Dislikes  (Read 26254 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: February 05, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

Hey guys! The forum has been unusually quiet for 2 weeks now.I thought I would kindle the discussions a bit with a small survey.

What do you like and dislike about SF?

How much do you play the game?

Is it your fav game/sim?If not what game is your fav?

When playing SF do you use the Increased Shell Power feature?

Do you play the game at a difficult level or more arcade-style?

Whta 's your favourite mission?

Your favourite map?

Your favourite tank or spg?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 05:40:07 PM by frinik » Logged
kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:05 PM »

Doop de doop, in no particular order I'd say that my favourite tank is the Panzer IV, followed closely by the 34/76. I prefer the Panzer because of the much better visibility from the commander's cupola and more powerful main gun (albeit the 34's 76mm is perfectly capable of tackling all '42 Panzahs). That being said, I do enjoy the occasional romp in the Tiger - nothing quite like laying waste to everything that moves anywhere between 100 and 2000m :>
I'd have to say that one of my largest gripes atm is the fact that you can't order the hull MG gunner to fire at will independently from the main gunner - I prefer to take my shots myself and setting the main gunner to hold fire also prevents my hull MG from targetting inf to my front :<
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 07:17:30 PM »

What do you like and dislike about SF?
The lack of gravity

How much do you play the game?
Not so much anymore. I've been playing around on Mistwalker's SPM 2.0 alittle, and I'm impressed, but my time gaming is generally spent on the Total War series, RO2, or SABOW

Is it your fav game/sim?If not what game is your fav?
It's certainly up there, but SABOW pushes it out in terms of Sims. Game-wise, I've spent over 500 hours on Empire Total War Tongue

When playing SF do you use the Increased Shell Power feature?
Unless it's automatically enabled, no. I didn't even know it had one!

Do you play the game at a difficult level or more arcade-style?
I generally play somewhere in between. Usually 6 or 7 is my mission balance

Whta 's your favourite mission?
This is a tough one. It's definitely a tie between Kyth's Panzer III missions and Rends' Seelow Heights

Your favourite map?
Seelow Heights

Your favourite tank or spg?
The Tiger, definitely. Especially with the new cockpit, I always end up having a blast with this tank

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »

Empire Total War?Isn't it about the Rise of the British Empire and the Napoleonic wars in the 18th and 19th centuries?There's one in Japan as well Shogun Total War? They are rts I think.

KapulA your fav game(s)?
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »

Empire Total War?Isn't it about the Rise of the British Empire and the Napoleonic wars in the 18th and 19th centuries?There's one in Japan as well Shogun Total War? They are rts I think.

In the stock game, you can play quite a few nations. I downloaded a couple mods for it and now I play all of them Smiley

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 11:02:14 AM »

I have Rome Total War, a great looking game, but I haven't played it in years?Huh? May be I should try it again.

Do you play RO2 in SP or MP?Huh?
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:08:45 PM »

MP, almost exclusively. The Singleplayer campaign is... awful..

I really like the Total War series for whatever reason. My computer can't really handle Napoleon or Shogun 2 though Sad In all the other ones, the bodies from my vanquished foes litter the battlefield for the entirety of the battle, whereas NTW and Shogun 2 battles only have casualties for a few seconds before they disappear. It's rather anti-climactic for the massive battles that the mods make available

kapulA
Oberst

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 01:27:31 AM »

Well, out of the tank sims, I'd have to say Kharkov is the best I've played so far. Smiley
Regarding other games, I too occasionally jump onto RO2 for a quick game, but I'm afraid I'm one of the malcontent guys in the community, having played the prequel since its release - IMO, RO2 didn't really live up to the expectations placed on it :<
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:30:22 AM by kapulA » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »

That seems to be the eternal story about the Red Orchestra series ,it never lived up to the expectations.... Still WW2-wise it's only R.O., Iron Front which also seems to have its problems, I44 still in progress, Panzer Elite, or some WW2 mods for BF2( Forgotten Hope) or Battlefield 1942.WE have to hope that Graviteam will come up with the definite WW2 sim surpassing SF in every aspect but given their financial situation and lack of sufficient player base and past problems with their editors I wouldn't hold my breath.
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »

I really enjoy the most about SF is with the game play variables of tanks/vehicles and maps/seasons/terrain and also the actions of the ground troops... especially when they are lighting off those Panzerschreck's.

Play SF mostly in between IL-2/TvT/SHIII&SHIV... lately have been trying to catch up with the latest updates which are really well thought out and made. Thank's to all with these developments as it is really a different game than what was released to us back in 2007/2008.

Do not use the increased Shell Power or such mods... like to keep game play level realistic as possible.

Kursk, Kashara, Seelow Heights and the Desert maps are all great maps to fight in.

Tiger is the king of the battlefield especially with the open fields maps... but have been playing more with some of the light/med tanks such as the T-28/Sherman M4A3-76/Hetzer/Stug III and SKfz armored cars. Guess it is the challenge of surviving and some how getting kills with these vehicles or tanks.

A recent T-28 statistic chart... before I was knocked out!  Grin

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 07:26:39 PM by woofiedog » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 07:03:31 AM »

Woofiedog; are you playing TvsT's Zeewolf's mods?Huh? Because MP is officially dead?

I saw Zeewolf's Panther Ausf. D which looks great.The only problem with TvsT is the Mission editor whcih is really daunting.You can't make your own stuff unless you can crack the ME.I have tried but gave up... Compare TvsT which came out the same year SF did and still only has 2 playable tanks...Also the AI in SF, while no Einstein, is much better than Tvst's.

Variety is really great in SF you can play a lot of combo of vehicles/variant and various times on the East front. I personally like the T-70 whcih is pretty nifty and packs a good gun for its size....If only the maps were the size of those in Tvst or Iron Front lib, 1944/Arma....
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:34 PM »

Running a version of TvT with ZeeWolf's setup and also a MMP7 setup at the moment along with two other versions plus the demo. And yes I read the posting located at the other site that the people have stopped work on MMP and development has come to an end. MMP7 is setup for multiplayer, but there are updates and improvements for offline use of this mod also.

As far as AI [tanks/vehicles or ground infantry] in TvT vs SF there are only slight differences with the AI of either game and have to say that they are fairly close with their actions.

Yes, SF now has a complete advantage as far as tanks/vehicles playable selection and also with the maps and terrain features along with the added seasons. But TvT also has winter maps now thank's to ZeeWolf and better vegetation with either ZW's or MMP versions over the released version of TvT. And the Panther Ausf. D that Zeewolf is coming out with is going to be a killer in my opinion and a real plus to the TvT game.

Back to Steel Fury, what people started out with and what is now molded into a real WWII tanker's game. SF has come a real long way since it's release thank's to all of these modders and the very hard work they have produced. About the only thing missing from SF are some Balkan, Italian and French/Belgian/Netherlander maps and maybe a couple versions of the Sherman tank and a couple of the missing British armor units. But overall Steel Fury now offers more than enough challenge and variety for the dedicated player.

I do have RO with a Darkest Hour Europe setup and it is a good game for the single player with some very good thought out missions and I also have a modded and nonmodded Panzer Elite setups running on my computer, but I always come back to TvT or SF for my tank sim gaming needs. LoL
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 05:21:48 PM »

If there are no objections to some TvT screens here on this forum...  a few TvT with Z mod screens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0101_zpsc5e86113.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0102_zpsdab89d6b.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0004_zps57446d5a.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0010_zpsb9f1bf17.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0001_zpsc2d413b4.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0002_zpsadeb08bd.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0006_zpsaffa24b7.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0024_zpsdc4fa518.png

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 05:26:51 PM by woofiedog » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 05:45:50 PM »

Thanks for the screenies Woofiedog! I have a copy of MMP7 which Murkz allowed me to download before calling an end to the mod. I haven't installed it.Are you saying that MMP7 can improve the SP aspect of TvsT?  If it;s hte case thne I might tempted to do a fresh install. of the game and add MMP7

I still have the installation disc of the game and 3 installs 2 with Zeewolf's early Zitadelle mod ( I was a member the first year in 2010) and one with MMP5.
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »

There are general game and graphic updates with MMP7 that correct some of the TvT glitches of the stock released game. The screens are from my ZeeWolf's version using the last update he released... he has overall corrected the problems of the released game and added many other items including missions/mission updates, graphic updates and vehicles which are AI now but used in his missions and also corrective view port sight changes of the Tiger cockpit. 

starnon
Oberleutnant

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2013, 04:49:15 PM »

I hardly get the time these days for games but I do like my sims.  I have heavily modded versions of IL2, SH4, FS9, and historic racing sims like Grand Prix Legends and GT Legends/Power&Glory mod. As well as stuff like Close Combat games which I think are excellent.  Overall, I like the games that nobody has heard of and have been commercial failures!

I like SF as it's the tank sim that I've been waiting years for - good graphics, atmospheric and 3d interiors.  I really don't understand why there aren't more tank simulators as World of Tanks, whatever you think of it, has shown that the armour genre has mass appeal.

I really like how I can view the vehicles at the end of the battle and analyse each hit mark, I probably spend more time doing that than playing the actual battle!  I play both german and russian but have a penchant for SPG's and tank destroyers.

Dislikes:
I really struggle with the mission editor. So I know that there are loads of vehicles that I can play, but I'm only limited to missions which are made for that vehicle, so I haven't been able to try the ISU122 or anything that doesnt have a specific mission released yet.

Lack of MP really hurts the mass appeal of the game.

Lack of efficiency with modern processors.  I used to play the game on an old machine with moderate fps performance, but it has almost the same performance on my, far newer, machine.

Lack of battle organiser, or some kind of meaningful pre-battle setup mode.

Lack of AA unless you can manage to force the settings.

Lack of urban (or anything other than timber shacks) that would be great for blasting with SPGs!
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2013, 07:37:51 PM »

Not to go off topic, but what mods do you use for IL-2? I've tried for a year now to get DBW to work, but I always get some horrendous bug, like bouncing wreckages or something (flying into the earth at a 75 degree angle sent the fuselage into space)

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:30 AM »

RE the lack of optimisation of the game I am with you Stig, although having a good graphic card and at 6 gbs of RAM and a modernintel i5 or i7 really makes the difference.You can also tweak your performance through Nvidia control panel or ATI Catalyst...

I have an old satellite with an intel Centrino , 4gbs of RAM and an ATI HD 3670 ( 512 mbs of ddr3) I get anywhere from 12 to 30 fps depending on the missions.

On  desktop with an i7 970, 8 gbs RAM and an ATI HD 5670 gddr5 I get usually 35 fps on average up to 60 now with SP Mod 2.0

On a Toshiba Qosmio with an i5 3370, 6 gbs of RAM and an Nvidia GTX560M (1.5 gbs of gddr5) I get about the same values...

But compared to modern games like CodMW3, Black Ops2, Crysis, Arma or Battlefield3 these are paltry numbers.I get much higher fps playing these these games, more graphic intensive , than SF...

The ME is not that hard to master if you are wuilling to make basic battle missions to play or test the new tanks/spgs.I recommend Friedrich Wilhelm's tutorials, they really help you get going! The link is poste don our forum.
woofiedog
Major

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 06:48:03 AM »

Quote... I really don't understand why there aren't more tank simulators as World of Tanks, whatever you think of it, has shown that the armour genre has mass appeal.

Agree with this statement and have to say there were a fair amount of followers at the Lighthouse site when these two games SF & TvT were released with high hopes by many that there was a quality tank sim coming out for either multiplayer or offline gamers.  But soon and sadly afterwards Lighthouse went into bankruptcy and closed shop and soon many of these people dropped of the map after the site closed also. I believe tank sims lost a lot of support and potential gamers when this happened.

On another note... SF has great choice with either the Panther Ausf A/D/G, but there is another Panther available for tank simmers that comes with a very comfortable cockpit and smooth as silk ride for over those torn up battlefields.   8)

Made a few changes with the screenshots... so you might want to look them over again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0012_zpse1cc76c7.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/SH_0008_zpsfecc2123.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/4f76df83-aa92-4362-8bb5-8855e5906b0e_zps2e0211fc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/69cf63ff-03ca-4774-a769-d718a5838948_zps1d961dbb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/dc6e059b-dfd4-4713-9716-c23ba5dcfecb_zps67cc97ce.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/3eb7d469-b11b-4cab-a2d7-3f6631ebef85_zpsd454a0bb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v438/woofiedog/T-34%20vs%20Tiger/a8f5b561-100a-46ec-b121-2026aeee5f53_zps752032be.jpg

« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:05:01 PM by woofiedog » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 11:00:46 AM »

Actually Woofiedog you stole my question to you. How's Zeewolf's Panther? How many new missions come with it? TvsT is finally getting anew tank model more than 5 years after it was released on the market! If he is interested I have a good gun sound to propose to him for the Panther's KwK42 instead of the one by default in game.

Re Lighthouse bankrupcy; I think it was also the disappointment felt by many sim fans with TvsT's constant coding bugs and glitches, terrible AI, the limited 12 heavily scripted missions, the opaque Mission Editor. SF's also did not offer MP nor co-op which I think turned off a lot of potential buyers....

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: