Graviteam
April 26, 2024, 08:33:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solutions to Amazon Download Problems  (Read 2907 times)
KurtTank
Major

« on: March 15, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »

Here are some solutions to the download problem I experienced yesterday off of Amazon.com. I go into detail for the non-computer guy, like me, so bear with me...

I read quite a few postings as I was trying, in vain, to download SFK 1942 off of Amazon. I had purchased it in 2011 and the link was still active.

I was initially unsuccessful, as I was getting an error message after hitting the download button. It did not explain the error message, but showed the original file path that SFK 1942 had been in before I uninstalled it due to "issues" with overloading the Mission Editor with something like 180 tanks and then having all sorts of problems. I was trying to see how much my new system could take.

I called Amazon and talked to their Games and Software support people via Skype. They were very helpful and the problem was solved. Here's how, and why:

The first thing we tried was checking the Uninstall a program window in the Control Panel to make sure SFK1942 was truly uninstalled...it was.

Next, we deleted all the download page attempts I had tried, i.e. looking for the download link and deleting it. That didn't work.

Then we updated Adobe Flash Player to the most recent software. That didn't work either.

It turns out the file path from the uninstalled SFK 1942 on my User Account (the Administrative account, which is the default if you do not have other User Accounts created) was corrupted or unusable, so the download had nowhere to go.

So the fix was to create a new User Account (I just activated the Guest account) in Control Panel/Add or remove user accounts, and use Internet Explorer from the new account to access Amazon and download the file to the Guest Account.

After that, I switched user accounts back to my user account (administrative), opened Explorer, opened the C:/ drive, looked for Users folder, opened Guest (the user account I turned on), opened Desktop (where I saved the download from Amazon), opened the SFK 1942 folder, and clicked on setup. That opened the set up screen and then I was able to install the game into my user account with no problems. I even used the original file path C:/Steel Fury.

So there are some possible solutions if someone should have problems with downloading from Amazon. The file from them is not corrupt, it's more likely a problem on your computer.

Hope this helps someone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: