Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 02:17:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: SF for Windows 7 question  (Read 19429 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 03:52:46 AM »

Hemi in the Catalyst Control centre you may have an option called Switchable Graphics. It allows you to set any game or program to a given preference either the dedicated graphics( the ATI ones) or the default ( usually the integrated Intel ones).Once you've made your choice you have to click apply.

BTW I assume that you have an LCD computer monitor  to your pc not a TV HD monitor?

You know what Hemi, why don't you post your full specs including processor, amount of RAM, the monitor you are using, what type of connections( HMDI, VGA etc). Check your cable to make sure it's properly connected and to the right place( a badly connected or improperly connected cable be the cause of blurriness or a poor display.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:28:19 AM by frinik » Logged
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 11:03:56 PM »

There's something else to try, which is quite a long shot.
Step 1: Change your Win7 desktop settings to something lower, say 1600 x 900. If the results are okay, then,
Step 2: Change the config.engcfg bbwid and bbhei settings to match the new resolution, then try them out in-game.
If everything is okay so far, then:
Step 3: Change Win7 desktop setting back to 1920 x 1080.
Step 4: Change config.engcfg bbwid and bbhei to match the resolution.
Occasionally, application settings fail to 'take' when the driver settings remain as defaulted,

PS
Throughout all this, its important to un-check the 'Restrict Video Modes' (or check the'Do not restrict Vid eo Modes'  Cheesy) setting in the game. Since the game can't recognize your card, its automatic restrictions would be unreliable.

Kyth
 Whatever I did seemed to work...somewhat.  I changed the resolution back and forth and nothing happened but when I checked "Do not restrict Video Modes" that seemed to help. With a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 the view was now clear as a bell however the in-game messages was still half buried so I changed to:
 bb_wid   =   1680;
bb_hei   =   1050;
bb_freq   =   60;
bb_fmt   =   22;

Now everything is working much better allowing me to test run the drivers tutorial-aside from me being rusty it was playable.
What I noticed in-game is that when changing stations, opening caps, changing views there is a huge lag. The screen goes black while I can hear the game running in the background, the keyboard commands even seem to work but all is black. This lasts for 30-60 seconds then graphics appear as normal.

Also, the  "graphic card has less than 128 mb memory and game may not run at all." window is still there.

Frinik, here's my specs.

Processor                  Intel Core I7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 HGz
Memory(RAM)                16.0 GB 
Graphics                   AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (HD 7770)
Gaming Graphics            9964 MB Total available graphic memory
Primary Hard Disc          1770GB Free (1849GB total)

Manufacturer               Dell XPS 8500
Sustem Memory              16.0 GB RAM
System Type                64 bit operating system
Processors                 4

Total sixe hard disc       2088 GB
Disc Partition (C:)        1770 GB free

Graphics Display Type      AMD Radeon HF 7770                 
Available Graphics Memory  9964 MB
Dedicated System Memory    0 MB
Shared System Memory       7916 MB
Driver Version             9.12.0.0
Primary Monitor Resolution 1920x1080
Direct X Version           Direct X 10
Monitor                    Viewsonic VP2765 SERIES       VGA

Also, there is no "switchable Graphics" I went online and this card does not seem to have this option associated with it. Other 7000 series card do but this one has no mention.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 01:33:17 AM »

Okay, good to hear that the resolution issues have been worked out!

To improve the performance it might be a good idea to reinstall DirectX 9, its possible that some of their files may be missing.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 06:59:31 AM »

Good idea.I recommend that you Google and find the Microsoft DirectX9C June 2010 release which I the most complete.

In your Catalyst Control centre you will see a 3D option called AMD Tessalation. If it is set by default to AMD Optimized or something like that just change it Use Application Settings and click Apply.You won't notice much of a decrease in the quality of your game graphics but a huge boost in smoothness of play and fps. In my case the average fps jumped from 22 -24 to 30 -35.

Disabled VSync( set it to off or Use Application Settings. Turn the Open GL setting Off. Set your Power settings to Use Adaptive Power Settings and the Multisamplings AA you can set to Adaptive Multisampling settings.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 09:59:14 PM »

Kyth, the advice to get Directx9 made a noticeable improvement. Thanks

Good idea.I recommend that you Google and find the Microsoft DirectX9C June 2010 release which I the most complete.

Done, seems to have helped the lag in black screen a bit.

In your Catalyst Control centre you will see a 3D option called AMD Tessalation. If it is set by default to AMD Optimized or something like that just change it Use Application Settings and click Apply.You won't notice much of a decrease in the quality of your game graphics but a huge boost in smoothness of play and fps. In my case the average fps jumped from 22 -24 to 30 -35.

I had to go into "Advanced View" and found this, set AMD Tessalation as recommended.

Disabled VSync( set it to off or Use Application Settings. Turn the Open GL setting Off. Set your Power settings to Use Adaptive Power Settings and the Multisamplings AA you can set to Adaptive Multisampling settings.

Could not find VSync anywhere. Found a window for Video Synchronization but it only goves the option to move an image around in a square window, sort of like resetting your image placement??? Does that make sense?

Open GL does not seem to have an option...perhaps I'm looking in the wrong area of CCC.
Could not find Power Settings section or Multisamplings AA. Could you give me an idea where in the CCC to find these.

BTW, the "128 B window" still exists.

The game is now running worlds better than when I started but still not right. The 128MB window shows something still bot right.

Thanks guys
H
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 10:00:46 PM by hemisent » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 02:24:24 AM »

The game is now running worlds better than when I started but still not right. The 128MB window shows something still bot right.

Thanks guys
H

Hi,

If everything else is working okay, you can safely ignore this warning because the game doesn't recognize newer video cards consistently.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:46 AM »

Hemi just open your CCC to Gaming. Inside you'll find an option called Wait for Vertical Refresh. That's the V Sync. Just set it to Always Off.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 11:12:12 PM »

So far, after all the changes and adjustments the game is very playable...much better and smoother than on my old XPS PIV rig.  Aside from the black screen lag (which is greatly reduced BTW) when changing views everything is as it should be. I did notice in playing a practice mission last night that in outside view at a certain angle I get a dark green circular form about a 1/4 inch diameter. Almost looks like an oil spot or blob on water. The spot only appears at certain low angles and is off in the distance, as the angle changes the blob appears fluid and changes shape...very odd. I've never seen or heard of this before. It's not a deal breaker and is a minor annoyance.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Cheers
H
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2013, 02:40:58 AM »

Could be a pixel problem... Is your screen an OLED one? Is it a Samsung?

I am happy that most of your problems are solved. This game is all about patience and tweaking. A great game but frustrating as Hell at times....

BTW you can set your game res at1680 X 1050 and gain a few fps without any major loss in the quality of the image. When you load your loading screen will shrink a little  if your screen native res is set at 1980 X 1080 but once the game is fully loaded you have a full screen.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:53:27 AM by frinik » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: