Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 03:31:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: SF for Windows 7 question  (Read 19424 times)
hemisent
Oberst

« on: April 04, 2013, 09:30:18 PM »

Hey guys
 Switching from XP to Windows 7 and I'd like to know is it better or easier to just re-download the game from Gamers Gate or can I simply copy the existing SF game to discs and install in the new computer.

Also, I read the above sticky about NOT installing to C/Program Files. can I simply make a new folder in the C drive called C/Games or something similar and install into that? Frinik, I know you've mentioned creating a partition file (I just went back to older posts of yours) but I really do not know what that is or how to accomplish it. I'm a little verklempt when it comes to stuff like that.

Thanks
H

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 09:52:35 PM by hemisent » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 01:40:51 AM »

Hemi, it all depends what you want to do.

If you want or like your current installation then copy it on a hard disk which you can keep a back-up and then make a copy on a partition on your new pc. You can also always make a fresh installation as well to experiment or simply if you want to enable different mods( i.e season mod etc ).

Me personally when I get a new desktop or laptop I simply copy the installations I like. I have made only 2 new installations in the last 3 year versus dozens of copies..
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 01:42:47 AM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:19:22 AM »

Hi Hemi,

About creating new partitions, I'd recommend to leave that alone, unless you're willing to experiment a little (or a lot, as the case may be).

Simply copy your SF files to a new folder, something other than 'Program Files', then try it out. The result should be similar.

Good luck,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 12:47:34 PM »

Actually I beg to differ with my friend Kyth! Partitioning is the way to go and it's easy Cheesy
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys. What I'd like is to have something similar to what I have with my Silent Hunter setup. One clean/virgin install and one modded install to play. This way if the modded one goes haywire for any reason I have the backup to copy and mod.

Am I correct in assuming I can create a folder in my C drive called "games" (or something like that) and put SF into that?  Also, since I'm a complete noob with windows 7 how do you expand the folder structure of all the drives. In XP it was rt click START and choose Explore to get an expanded view.

Thanks again
H
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:17:24 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys. What I'd like is to have something similar to what I have with my Silent Hunter setup. One clean/virgin install and one modded install to play. This way if the modded one goes haywire for any reason I have the backup to copy and mod.

Am I correct in assuming I can create a folder in my C drive called "games" (or something like that) and put SF into that?  Also, since I'm a complete noob with windows 7 how do you expand the folder structure of all the drives. In XP it was rt click START and choose Explore to get an expanded view.

Thanks again
H

Yes you can.
Not exactly sure what you mean by the second question.  If i want to see all the folders I do Start\Computer\double click on C (or whatever drive you're interested in).

Bring back 3D markers!
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:02 AM »

Am I correct in assuming I can create a folder in my C drive called "games" (or something like that) and put SF into that?

Yes Hemi you can do that or create entirely new partitions.For example say you have a desktop with a 1 terabyte hard drive.You go into the windows control pannel and then select System and Security.Then the Administrative Tools folder in which you can defragment your hard drive, free up disk space and there's an option called create and format hard disk partitions. Using that tool you can fragment you primary drive called C: and create say 2 new partitions you can call D and E each with 200 gbs of free space where you can install all your games and personal folders.The advantage is that if you need to do a aprtial recovery of your C drive then your partitions are safe and so are your games and personal files. For the procedure to partition simply google it and you'll see on youtube or on the internet how to do it it's no nuclear science.
starnon
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:48:41 PM »

I actually put my SF folder in the Programfiles(86) folder..!  It works fine, the only glitch is that when loading a mission, the screen drops to desktop but I just have to alt-tab to get it back up again.

I didn't do a normal installation, I copied the game folder from my old XP desktop computer and dropped it straight in as I wanted to keep all the mods and configs without reinstalling them.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:25:46 AM »

I actually put my SF folder in the Programfiles(86) folder..!  It works fine, the only glitch is that when loading a mission, the screen drops to desktop but I just have to alt-tab to get it back up again.

I didn't do a normal installation, I copied the game folder from my old XP desktop computer and dropped it straight in as I wanted to keep all the mods and configs without reinstalling them.

Well, count yourself among the lucky ones.

The fact remains, many people encountered problems, enough to warrant an 'early warning' to take some simple precautions:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10219.0

"Yes."
starnon
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 02:51:20 AM »

I think that 'just in case' I'll move the folder out of the program files. Luckily it's an easy drag of the entire game folder and it all still works, like games from the good old days.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:10 PM »

My game is finally back up and running (sort of). I created a folder C/Games and moved all the files via a flash drive. Started it up last night and it works. I have a problem with the resolution tho. I have a flat screen monitor which has a native resolution of 1920x1080. The load screens look perfect but the in game screen is horrible. Appears kind of fuzzy (not sharp and distinct) almost blurry. The outside view is horrible. The in game texts at the top center are cut off so only the bottom 1/3 of the text is readable. I briefly played with different in-game resolutions but it changed very little. Anyone have any ideas, Frinik I know you've experimented quite extensively with graphics settings.

Also, I get a window in the graphics settings page saying that my graphic card has less than 128 mb memory and game may not run at all.

Anyway guys, I'm glad to be getting back here once again.

Cheers!

H
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:06:31 PM by hemisent » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »

Hemi, what kind of graphic card do you have? It could be the AA( Anti Aliasing) that's creating the blurriness.

Go to the config  file : data/k42/loc_rus/config and open it with notepad. Check the render paragraph to see what values are in there. Here's mine below for comparison. You can use it simply change the res to the one you  prefer and make sure you save the changes before closing the  file:

//îïèñàíèå è êîíôèãóðàöèÿ âèäåîàäàïòåðà
i_render:render()
{
   //àäàïòåð
   adapter   =   0;
   //ðàçðåøåíèå, ÷àñòîòà, ðåæèì
   bb_wid   =   1600;
   bb_hei   =   900;
   bb_freq   =   60;
   bb_fmt   =   22;
   //ðåæèì áóôåðà ãëóáèíû
   depth_buffer   =   75;
   //îáðàáîòêà âåðøèí
   vertex_processing   =   1;
   //ãàììà (0.0 - inf  def 1.0)
   gamma   =   1.070000;
   //ÿðêîñòü (-1.0:1.0 def 0.0)
   bright   =   0.510000;
   //êîíòðàñò(0.0:1.0 def 1.0)
   contrast   =   0.970000;
   //àíòèàëèàñèíã (òèï, êà÷åñòâî)
   aa_type   =   0;
   aa_qual   =   0;
   //óðîâåíü àíèçîòðîïèè
   aniso   =   0.000000;
   //ïðîïîðöèè ýêðàíà (4/3, 16/9, 16/1, 5/4)
   aspect   =   0.000000;
   //îêîííûé ðåæèì
   windowed   =   0;

}// end of i_render:render

You can use my value or make sure at least that the resolution in the render entry is the same that you set in the game menu and matches your pc screen resolution:

Disable all Anti Aliasing in your Nvidia Control Panel or the ATI Catalyst suite depending on your gpu.As you see in my own render 'entries I have the AA type and qual set to 0.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:02:08 AM by frinik » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 02:07:10 AM »

The blurry graphics are probably from the default 640x480 resolution which will default from the 'less than 128mb' problem.

As mentioned above, try editing the 'bb_wid' and 'bb_hei' to match your desktop resolution; at least one person has tried it with good results:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=10930.msg27588#msg27588

"Yes."
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:06:41 AM »

Thanks guys, I'll give it a look see.

BTW it's a Radeon HD7770.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »

One thing I noticed when I ntried playing the game with the Use Desktop Resolution ox checked I had a blurry line whenever I would use the gunsight optics and the image would become shifty and wobbly so make sure when going into the game settings menu  that you uncheck the Use Desktop Res box and that you check the No Video Restrictions box.
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 09:38:19 PM »

Kyth and Frinik
I opened the config file and set the two lines to match the in-game resolution which is the native resolution.  bb_wid   =   1920;    bb_hei   =   1080;
The "use desktop resolutions" box  is unchecked. I started the game and everything remains the same. Blurry/fuzzy similar situation the the thread that you sent me

I still have the annoying window "graphic card has less than 128 mb memory and game may not run at all."

I checked and my drivers for the card are up to date however I cannot find any catalyst control center from which to make adjustments. I see reference to having to DL and install it. Is that so?

I'm sure in the end it's something simple, hopefully just needs some fine tuning.
Thanks guys
H
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 02:15:17 AM »

Yes .It's odd though whenever you download new drivers they usually come with the Catalyst Control Centre .Just go to the AMD website and download the 13.1 version. Once installed you can go in the game 3D settings. I will give you mine which I use for my ATI cards.

Did you also set the AA  to 0 in the render entries as below?

aa_type   =   0;
aa_qual   =   0;

BTW, did you save the settings you entered? Otherwise they will revert to the original value.

I read a thread about people having similar problems to your with an ATI gpu, the latest drivers 13.3 and the same res you are using and a blurriness. They fixed it by turning off ( unticking ) the Morphological Filtering in the Catalyst Control Centre 3d graphic options. That might be worth a shot once you have the CCC installed. I personally have all type of AA off as they tend to send your fps plummeting for just a little eye candy in exchange.

I suspect you have an intel processor and the game defaults to the intel graphics HD3000 or 4000 rather than to your ATI gpu. Which is why the graphic look like s....t! 

I had that problem when playing game with an Nvidia card the games would default to the intel integrated gpu. But with Nvidia it' easy to set the default to the stronger gpu as Nvidia has a better working relation with Intel. Whereas AMD and Intel are bitter rivals and whenever a manufacturer pairs AMD graphics with an intel processor you cannot easily et the default to the ATI gpu....

Anyway there's a way you can disable the intel graphics so your games default to your dedicated graphics rather than to the integrated ones...One step at a time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 02:24:56 AM by frinik » Logged
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 03:12:34 AM »

Hemisent, try right clicking on desktop.  My catalyst control center is located at the top of the resultant list.  Mine is called "AMD vision engine control center".  How's that for pretentious?  Anyway that's what it's called after the latest down load of the drivers that I did today from the AMD site.

Bring back 3D markers!
hemisent
Oberst

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:10 AM »

Guys, thanks for all the help. I just DL'd the 13.1 driver and installed it. It came with the catalyst control center and it added itself to the list of options when I hit the start button.

Tanker, thanks...I didn't know that. Guess have a lot to learn about W7.. At any rate the CCC exists.

The AA was set to 0 in the render entries as below?

aa_type   =   0;
aa_qual   =   0;

I opened up the Control Center and found the screen for AA  and also the box for Morphological Filtering (it's already unchecked) but I have no idea what to do with these adjustments. From the looks of things the AA slider is already set to the far left or zero.

I just ran the game and if anything the view is worse and of course the "graphic card has less than 128 mb memory and game may not run at all." window is still there only a bit blurrier.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 03:35:53 AM »

There's something else to try, which is quite a long shot.

Step 1: Change your Win7 desktop settings to something lower, say 1600 x 900. If the results are okay, then,
Step 2: Change the config.engcfg bbwid and bbhei settings to match the new resolution, then try them out in-game.

If everything is okay so far, then:
Step 3: Change Win7 desktop setting back to 1920 x 1080.
Step 4: Change config.engcfg bbwid and bbhei to match the resolution.

Occasionally, application settings fail to 'take' when the driver settings remain as defaulted,

Good luck,

PS
Throughout all this, its important to un-check the 'Restrict Video Modes' (or check the 'Do not restrict Video Modes'  Cheesy) setting in the game. Since the game can't recognize your card, its automatic restrictions would be unreliable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 08:32:30 AM by Kyth » Logged

"Yes."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: