Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 06:56:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mius River Front DLC  (Read 33494 times)
benpark
Hauptmann

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:02 PM »

Looking great. Any infantry shots?
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »

Fascinating.  What were they doing to the main gun barrel?  Seems a shame to mutlilate it.  There's probably better ways to make in nonfunctional.
Sorry Tanker I'm a bit late catching up here...
Nothing specific was said (as far as I could tell) as to why the guy sliced the barrel open.  I presumed the gun had been spiked & he was cutting out the block that had been put into the barrel.  Guessing tho.  Roll Eyes
Still it was amazing that they got it started & drove it without worrying about dismantling & lubricating things like tracks.  The guy filming said that no-one living there actually knew how long it had been sat there, just that it had been made in late WW2.  Seeing how far it had sunk into the turf I thinking it was more than a few years.  Quality Russian built-to-last hardware  Grin

It's a beast that's for sure.  I was impressed that it got out of that hole under it's own power.  As for Russian built, the AK-47 with it's loose tolerances, famously, will fire after months or years buried in sand and mud.  Perhaps not as accurate as an M-16 or a FAL but perfect for a 3rd world warrior and conflict.

Bring back 3D markers!
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57:19 PM »

Fascinating.  What were they doing to the main gun barrel?  Seems a shame to mutlilate it.  There's probably better ways to make in nonfunctional.
Sorry Tanker I'm a bit late catching up here...
Nothing specific was said (as far as I could tell) as to why the guy sliced the barrel open.  I presumed the gun had been spiked & he was cutting out the block that had been put into the barrel.  Guessing tho.  Roll Eyes
Still it was amazing that they got it started & drove it without worrying about dismantling & lubricating things like tracks.  The guy filming said that no-one living there actually knew how long it had been sat there, just that it had been made in late WW2.  Seeing how far it had sunk into the turf I thinking it was more than a few years.  Quality Russian built-to-last hardware  Grin

It's a beast that's for sure.  I was impressed that it got out of that hole under it's own power.  As for Russian built, the AK-47 with it's loose tolerances, famously, will fire after months or years buried in sand and mud.  Perhaps not as accurate as an M-16 or a FAL but perfect for a 3rd world warrior and conflict.

Yeah I recall a field test between half a dozen or so assault rifles.  They put them thru the mill in hot desert & ice desert as well as temperate & jungle zones. Dumped in a hole; thrown in the river; left outside overnight etc etc.
The AK & the Galil were the overall winners, being most likely to fire & cycle after the rough times.  It was only those 2 that actually could fire after 100% the tests.  Everything else failed to fire or load after at least one of the tests.  Can't recall who came bottom...

Reminded me of the crazy rush to issue cleaning kits for the M16 after it's initial deployment in Nam under a 'maintenance free' banner.  Tongue
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »

Russian made ak's......well the newer ones for sure.  Their tolerances are actually pretty tight.  WAY more than Egyptian, Romanian, etc made ak's.  I own a saiga rifle in .223.  (basicaly ak reconfigured for hunting).  But my barrel is right off the ak101 line.  From a cold barrel with ammo it likes will shoot stupid good for 1st 12 -15 rounds.  From warm or hot barrel with crap ammo never exceeds 3 1/2 inch. at 100 yards.  Hmmm cold with ammo it likes......under 2 inches with odd ball 1 inch groups now and then.  For what it is this is quite good.  Compares well to things like Ruger mini 14 (new model or old model tinkered with).  Only 1/2 the cost...er was half the cost.  And as for the m16/m4....it works well so long as you keep it clean.  In the desert this means cleaning all the damned time or it probably will fail.  My time in Iraq is why I will NEVER own that sort of design in a firearm.  It works......but to much damned cleaning.  Or when I see one  I think clean clean clean, not so fun.

Ak is a full proof design BUT is getting up there in age.  Needs a face lift in ergonomics.  Safty/selector is something out of 1907.  Better stuff now.  Other than that.....damned fine weapon.  But that has happened/is happening with stuff like galil and or Polish ak's.     

Yabba dabba do
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2013, 11:05:15 AM »

Russian made ak's......well the newer ones for sure.  Their tolerances are actually pretty tight.  WAY more than Egyptian, Romanian, etc made ak's.  I own a saiga rifle in .223.  (basicaly ak reconfigured for hunting).  But my barrel is right off the ak101 line.  From a cold barrel with ammo it likes will shoot stupid good for 1st 12 -15 rounds.  From warm or hot barrel with crap ammo never exceeds 3 1/2 inch. at 100 yards.  Hmmm cold with ammo it likes......under 2 inches with odd ball 1 inch groups now and then.  For what it is this is quite good.  Compares well to things like Ruger mini 14 (new model or old model tinkered with).  Only 1/2 the cost...er was half the cost.  And as for the m16/m4....it works well so long as you keep it clean.  In the desert this means cleaning all the damned time or it probably will fail.  My time in Iraq is why I will NEVER own that sort of design in a firearm.  It works......but to much damned cleaning.  Or when I see one  I think clean clean clean, not so fun.

Ak is a full proof design BUT is getting up there in age.  Needs a face lift in ergonomics.  Safty/selector is something out of 1907.  Better stuff now.  Other than that.....damned fine weapon.  But that has happened/is happening with stuff like galil and or Polish ak's.     

Still OT Smiley
the whole saga of the dirty-tricks & pay-offs behind the M16 made for an interesting book back in the 80s (Can't recall the title/author Roll Eyes)  The promise of maintenance-free (or even low maint.) never did pan out even with the latest variants.  I get the impression 'mainstream' .223 (SA-80 & M-16 variants) generally sucked when it came to manufacturing something that made the users life easier.

I wonder about older hardware.  The Colt 1911 is still a favorite pistol in contests, despite being a design more than 100 years old.  Your AK experiences make interesting reading from that perspective. 
& on WW2 knew a guy who saw a lot of infantry action in ETO. He said the Sten couldn't hit a barn from inside with the doors closed, unless you had some German ammo.  He preferred the MP40 but it was very ammo intolerant, & the was too accurate for house to house CQB when you needed to spray & pray.
I have yet to find someone who can describe the PPSh in combat 1st hand, gonna have to look harder. Wink
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

Part of the difficulty with the M16 introduction in Viet Nam was caused by McNamara (SECDEF) rushing the rifle to production and distribution without having the chamber and bore chromed as specified by the designer of the rifle.  This allowed fouling and corrosion to cause jams.  Additionally the powder originally used, caused the firing rate to increase from the design rate of 850 to an unintended 1000 rounds per minute, causing increased fouling and jamming where the spent casing would not be ejected.
The rifle was also rushed into deployment with inadequate cleaning supplies and instructions.

After modifications, chroming and firing rate adjustments  and sufficient cleaning kits and instructions the reliability of the rifle improved tremendously.

Bring back 3D markers!
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »

So the usual politics over common sense deal then...  Smiley

Guy I know who was there said they were first issued the M16 as a 0 maintenance 7000-8000 rounds lifespan rifle.
Then there was a panic when someone realized they actually needed cleaning & were failing at critical times.  The guys were rushed into teaching sessions with new cleaning kits which were hurriedly assembled & shipped out.

In the long-term I'm glad they managed to sort it out to some degree, could have been a real problem if a Fulda scenario had kicked in during that 'learning' phase.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: