Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 08:37:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with patching  (Read 43397 times)
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »

Ok

I have reinstalled APOS to C:\Achtung Panzer Operation Star to keep it out of program files.

I have manually updated MSVC++2005 from the MS site.

I have rerun the 581 patch and this time not ticked the update MSVC++. The patch installed quickly.

Now I am seeing the Updater.

What should I be seeing here to install the patch. I installed the patch into the above folder. Do I need to manually search for the file.

Or do I just need to wait???

Thanks
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 11:53:27 AM »

hit install & browse for the patch - see this
http://www.graviteam.ua/help/install-patch.html

About 1/2 way down is APOS patch method
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 12:22:06 PM »

What should I be seeing here to install the patch. I installed the patch into the above folder. Do I need to manually search for the file.

Or do I just need to wait???

Once you have your updater open hit the install button and locate your march patch file then select that file.

Does the upper right hand corner of your start menu for the game say version 5.81.Because if not your patch will not install.
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 12:47:52 PM »

No, it is still 5.75 because as I can't find the file needed to update to 5.81 I close the updater that the patcher opens and then my APOS stops working.

What is the name of the actual file I am looking for because even installing the patch into its own folder I can't find what the updater says it needs? Is it desc.addpack?

I have never been so bewildered by a patching process as I am now.

Just so I can detail what I am doing so if anything is glaringly wrong please tell me.

Download v5.75 from gamersgate.

Installed it into C:\Achtung Panzer Operation Star.

Got the Core_Update_GTOS_cu-v581(ENG) from Graviteam Website.

Run the installer with running MSVC++2005.

The installer finishes and the Updater Box appears.

At this point should something appear in the box or do I need to exit out and wait until my APOS shows that it is now v5.81 on the top right?

Or should I be accessing a file before exiting the updater box to make APOS go to v5.81.

Sorry for being such a pain but I am lost (and I have being using computers since the Apple IIc Sad )
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:59:35 PM by Sgt_Stiener » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 12:58:49 PM »

Have you downloaded your 5.81 core update to your game folder?

If yes-open it and when it ask where you want to install it direct it to your game program file.

Then turn of your PC and reboot,sometimes with windows it takes awhile for the game to accept the update.You may have to keep rebooting until the game finally accepts the core update and your start menu displays the 5.81 version.

Until your start menu has version 5.81 you will not be able to install the March patch.

Once your game is the 5.81 version you can proceed with installing the March patch.

Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 01:02:15 PM »

Dane49

I have run the patch directly into the C:\Achtung Panzer Operation Star folder where I re-installed the game to get it out of the Program Files (x86).

The installer runs and at the end I get the updater box on screen.

It obviously wants something to install but what.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »

It wants the patch but until you have version 5.81 on your game it won't accept the march patch.
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »

So if I shut down the updater and wait my version will eventually change to 5.81?
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:49 PM »

Go to your control panel open up your programs then programs and features and make sure that the 5.81 update is in your program files.

Like I said earlier sometimes it takes a few reboots and some time for the game to accept the new update.

It did that to me initially so your probably experiencing the same problem.

You may have to turn off your PC and restart a few times before the update takes hold.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:18:08 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »

Ok

In control panel all it show is Achtung Panzer Operation Star Version 1.0.

It's getting late here so I'll accept defeat for today and will try to untie this Gordian Knot tomorrow.

Thanks mates for your help.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »

OK,

It probably needs some time.

I'm sure once the 5.81 update displays in your programs and features it will also display on your start menu in the game.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Graviteam updating and patching.

If it's any consolation once you've mastered the basics it will get easier the next time you upgrade and you can always count on it with this game there will always be a next time.
Usually every 3-4 months.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:33:23 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 01:37:43 PM »

Last post before bed.

I am actually the guy who drew the short straw for a bunch of guys whose wargaming re the Eastern Front goes back to Panzer Blitz the board game and Kampfgruppe on the Apple IIc who are looking for another CM:BB.

I was actually warned on other forums that I'd tear my hair out on this game.

So if I can master this a bunch of oldies will be getting the game as well.

If need be I'll screenshot every step of the patch process but currently I am hoping that 5.81 magically appears and I can then do the March patch and the DLCs.

Again thank you all for the help Smiley.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »

Well if you guys are looking for a tactical game about the East front with an operations and campaign layer added to boot then you have certainly come to the right place.

If your used to playing CM:BB you may have to relearn a whole new way of controlling your units while playing GTOS.

Micro-management is not only frowned upon by the developers of this game it is also penalized in the command and control orders system for the game.
While there is an option to turn the new CC orders system off in the game,it is still very difficult to micro manage your units.I personally like that but others may disagree and it usually boils down to a matter of taste.

With that said,the game still has some minor bugs to work out which is why it is essential to learn the upgrading and patching process since the game is always being improved and upgraded to address any new problem or features the developers add to this ever expanding series of games.

I think once you get settled in and you become more familiar and comfortable with the mechanics of the game, that  eventually in the long run you will thank yourself for giving it a spin.

The developers of this game along with a few people in the modding community have turned out a very well researched quality product at an affordable price and to me is a must for anyone who enjoys gaming the Eastern Front.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »

I agree with Dane's comments.  The only thing that I will add is that, unlike the CM series, this game has no multi-player component.

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 04:07:09 PM »

I think much of the confusion comes from the fact that sometimes you are dealing with desc.addpack and sometimes you are dealing with .gt2extention files.  To add to the mix, the 581 installer is a .exe that installs to the game without using the in game mod installer (I believe that last part is correct if memory serves me right).

The polygon update, when downloaded and unzipped gave me a desc.addpack file.  The DLC from Gamers Gate came to me as .gt2extention files.  Also the Mar13 update patch was a .gt2extention file. 
I make folders on my desktop so I know where to find the downloaded and expanded files.  I make separate ones for engine updates, patches, polygons, and the DLCs.  It may be overkill, but organization never hurts.

This first picture is of the addpack type files.  This is what I dealt with when installing the polygon updates.  I got to this window by clicking on install on the GTOS installer and browsing for the downloaded file.  You will notice that the desc.addpack is in the core folder that you get when you download and unzip the polygon update.  In the lower right of the screen shot (red circle and arrow) is the file extention window.  Notice I have selected *.addpack.  If I had selected .gt2extention, another option, I would not be able to see the desc.addpack file, nor would I be able to select it.
Once you click on the file and get it down in the Filename window you click open and it will be installed to your game.

Here is a picture of the .gt2extention file that I got when dowloading updates for the DLCs, and the Mar13 patch.

Finally, this picture shows the choices (bottom right corner of picture) that you have for file types.  It is important to know which file type you are looking for because if you are looking for .gt2extention and you have *.addpack selected in that window, the .gt2extention will not be shown to you and vice versa.

Sorry for the lack of clarity in the first two shots but I think you can make them out.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 04:10:01 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 05:35:06 PM »

Latest patches are here
http://www.graviteam.ua/help/install-patch.html
Top of page body - English patches.
5.81 (2138) is currently there
http://i36.tinypic.com/vd1kiv.jpg

when you run it alter the path to the install dir. 
http://i34.tinypic.com/k0nb55.jpg
When the updater window opens hit save & play
You need to hit save & play I think, I do even if I don't intend playing immediately to make sure APOS has taken its' medicine...  Smiley

Check the top right of the menu screen to get version number.  Click on that number or on update to relaunch the updater, use install to feed it the patch
Hit save & play when done, which should take you back to the menu & show any version or patch month changes top right. (ie confirming the install).

----forum suddenly isn't taking my image uploads.  Huh?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 05:52:21 PM by chashka17 » Logged
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »

Back again.

Apparently this game hates me as the March patch now insists on downloading at 23.8 kbps and times out before completion and resuming takes you back to the start.

However, in the Tutor section on Gamersgate I did find this.

http://www.gamersgate.com/gametutor?issue=240050

I will be using the patches from the Graviteam website but I assume that the basic mechanics in the above tutorial will allow me to patch the game.

I must admit that I find myself wondering how many people may have purchased this game only to never play it due to the mind-boggling convoluted patching system?

Hopefully I can download the patch tomorrow and finally play this game.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 01:53:41 PM »

I must admit that I find myself wondering how many people may have purchased this game only to never play it due to the mind-boggling convoluted patching system?

Grin Grin

Yes,it seems to qualify to play this game persistence is your membership initiation. Tongue
Sgt_Stiener
Oberleutnant

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »

I face a dilemma though.

If I recommend this game to my friends only 1 is likely to be able to patch it. That would mean going to 8 houses to patch 8 games for poor old me.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 02:46:11 PM by Sgt_Stiener » Logged
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 04:10:56 PM »

I face a dilemma though.

If I recommend this game to my friends only 1 is likely to be able to patch it. That would mean going to 8 houses to patch 8 games for poor old me.

You can't talk them through it on a conference call?

Bring back 3D markers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: