Graviteam
April 19, 2024, 03:13:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Intro & a few questions  (Read 23185 times)
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:20 PM »

Greetings All,

My real name is Andrew or "Drew" if you prefer. Or you can just use the motto/handle as you wish<grin>.

First of all let me thank Graviteam for keeping this forum up as it is full of useful info. I am very impressed
that a basically 5 year old game still has a pretty active board. My recent gaming over the last few years
has been largely FPS's but I have pretty much played Crysis, Far Cry I&II, and Stalker to death by now &
since it has been a long while since I got into a Sim - well here I am! I'm running Vista (I know) on a HP
Pavilion a6200n with GEForce GT 220 along with its own 1Gig of video ram and AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-Core
Processor @ 2.60 GHz with 3Gigs RAM on a 32bit O.S. <-- All this just in case it matters. I'm having no
probs running the game so far except whenever switching or loading it falls back on the Desktop until loaded.
Is this common? It looks like it's crashed but it loads fine if I'm patient. Just kinda odd.

A couple Newbie questions:
1. How do I know if I need the mod - and which one to get? (Bought this as an Amazon D/L this week).

2. I'm having trouble completing the gunner tutorial. Specifically, It seems to be 3-parts but although I MG
the soldiers and go on to 2nd task all I ever do is fire practice rounds at the tank(?). It sez I should be
targeting two vehicles and a 2nd vehicle way distant is visible back and to right of tank but the targeting
diamond just stays locked on the tank even if I exhaust all practice rounds. Also, the Matilda seems to just
endlessly ride ovals around the range so I need to constantly be pressing "short stop" to get off a shot.
Neither can I advance on the 2nd target and hitting it is a wanker at that range so I'm never sure I did.

I could ask more but let me leave it here in hopes I can maybe get some help with the tutorial.
Please accept my thanks in advance,
-Andrew
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:42:52 PM »

BTW,

In trying to grab a few patches (including those under stickies) I got nowhere but spammed.
Or broken links like the last collection of links in the sticky just above my post. So any help
to working sites that don't try to hijack my pc, install or sell D/L "helpers" I don't need would
be a real help. Can someone reply with actual working links to all the patches recommended?

TIA,

Andrew
Panzerfaust
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 12:31:21 AM »

Welcome to the forum Drew,
I would try the SPM 2.0 Mod (reference this post) http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11026.msg31426#msg31426   It has a lot of the content from those dead links plus new missions, new vehicles and interior crew stations for some of these new vehicles all rolled into one neat package. You will need JSGME for installing the mods and you will need the Unofficial_Patch_SF_v0.1_eng no matter what mods you use (you need it even if you just play the stock game).
I do believe since SPM 1.5 Beta or SPM 1.5 Ultimate Update the training missions now use the T-34 with full real ammo instead of the underpowered Matilda and it's practice rounds.
Cheers.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 01:40:30 AM »

Would be any chance your handle be inspired by Meine Ehre heisst Treu?Huh?? Roll Eyes

There's this download link which I personally use:http://tanksim.org.ru/modules/wfdownloads/viewcat.php?cid=6

No spam, no obligation.
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 03:04:07 AM »

To frinik - Yes that is my source. I'm interested in gaming German Armor on the Ostfront of WWII.
But I am a real Noob also.

To Panzerfaust - Is Unofficial_Patch_SF_v0.1_eng  included in SPM 2.0 Mod? Or use frinik's link?

To you both - Sincere thanks for your welcome and your help. I see by the many, many posts you
have made I can be glad to have your help.

In fact, I'm gonna drink to that right now! Right now, that's British Gin & Tonics but if things work out
here I may be heading out to grab some Schnaps <wink>. BTW, if you're up on your history,... Is it
true Scnapps & Uppers were air-dropped to 6th Army encircled in Stalingrad since Goering's plan to
supply 6th Army via air fell through ?  Was this ever repeated in other engagements?
Unrelated question I know, but thought I'd ask. Games are a way to extend love of history I think.

-Andrew
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:00:12 AM »

I don't recall any schnapps being airdropped but I remember reading that one awaited shipment contained ... condoms instead of food and medications that were needed.

As for my link just try it what can you risk?Huh?
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »

I'm still pretty new to this ( and mods as well). Embarrassed Embarrassed
Nor do I have any experience with jsgme which is apparently some type
of file manager for mods ?? To the best of my knowledge I need to:
1. D/L jsgme and install it wherever on same drive as game.
2. D/L all the files in Panzerfaust's link and the file in frinik's link.
[after this I get fuzzy],...
3. Open jsgme and load the above files into it rather than just clicking
    and running them by themselves or what??
Sorry to sound so stupid but I don't see instructions anywhere for what
to do with the D/Ls. Perhaps it is in the .exes? Any help would be most
appreciated. Usually when I've run patches I put the patch file in the
same game directory and just pretty much double-click and restart game.

Also, frinik - what does your file 10map_for_steel_fury(4rus).exe do?

-Andrew
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:31:22 PM by Mine_Honor_is_True » Logged
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »

Well,

Update. In rooting around my folders apparently Amazon sold me a copy that already had
jsgme loaded and running. It also came with two "mods" or fixes; The Unofficial patch
and another one called Compass_mod.v02. However loading frinik's file seems to bring up
no missions of date 1943. Also, any attempt to load Steel_Panzer_mod_2.0_fix_V2 or
SPM V5.1 causes a user initiation error and nothing will load once any mission is chosen.
Doesn't matter order they're loaded or if either loaded without the other. No go. Both
SPM's also fail even when frinik's Summer 1943 Redux is unloaded.

Andrew
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 12:42:59 AM »

Mine_Honour_is_True;  What summer redux are you talking about?

OK What you need to do:

1) Install the game

2) Create a folder which you will name MODs in your game folder

3) Download the Steel Panzer Mod 2.0 and unzip it into that MOD folder.

4) Enable it I through the JSGME which is already - oddly - included in Amazon' download.

It looks like Amazon may have sold you a used copy of the game as the stock version never came with the JSGME, nor the unoff patch nor the compass mod already included.....

You do not need to install Beta 1.5 as it is already included in Mod 2.0.IF you do then you'll create conflicts in your game.Mod 2.0 is enough .The patch you can enmable firt or last it does not make any difference.
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2013, 03:52:04 PM »

I'm beginning to think I got ripped off. There's a file in here written by, "Whukid."
Also, read his review on Amazon - he sez it comes with jsgme and the latest
vers. of SPM in his review as written by him is 1.5

The game seems to run as delivered but which SPM2.0 mod are you talking about ?
I seem to have several based on Panzerfaust's links. Also, the jsgme sees the
mods I unpack into Mod folder (although they don't run.). But .exe files like your
10map" link and the SPMv2.0 .exe do not show up.

At this point I feel totally frustrated and lost. Sorry guys,.......... Maybe I'm stupid
but I've never had so much trouble with a game even back in the DOS days. I have
deleted the entire install and saved the game D/L from amazon into a external HD.
I would be happy to try a fresh install if you all aren't sick of me already. I know it's
all elementary to you guys who've been playing sims for years but I would like to have
the best most up-to-date vers of the game if I could. I just had no idea it was such turmoil.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 04:27:41 PM by Mine_Honor_is_True » Logged
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 02:21:49 AM »

There' s only one Steel Panzer Mod 2.0 .The download link is on the first page of the sticky entitled " Steel Panzer Mod 2.0 (open testing)" . Here's the link to the page:
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11026.0

It was an open beta mod all comprehensive ( Beta 1.5 plus the Ultimate mod which was released in the fall).I can't remember the size of file but it's big. It was released in late December 2012.Since then there's been 5 patches released some fixing bugs , others adding new vehicles or other improvement. The latest one in English is fix number 2 which you'll find ate the same page I posted above. In Russian there's been 3 more fixes up to fix number 5.The only issue is that it changes your game into Russian but this can easily be fixed.

OK so you install your Amazon version. Then you download Steel Panzer Mod 2.0.You unzip it into the MODS folder I told you to create. Likewise with the fix. Once installed into your MODs folder , open the JSGME. The 2 files should appear in the small left screen of the Generic Mods Enabler entitled Available Mods. You double-click on the Mod 2.0 and wait as it can take up to 10 minutes since the file is big. Then once it's enabled and appears on the right screen entitled Activated Mods you do likewise for the fix number 2.

Then you start your game and everything should work. The activated mods will overwrite your game original files.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 05:15:58 AM »

Hello Drew,

Since JSGME is central to all the mods, it would be good to look through the user guide and understand how it's supposed to work:

http://www.4shared.com/office/Psv9a0zR/JSGMEUG.html

Also, when seeking help, it's useful to post a screenshot of your activated mods, like so:

Then we could zero in on your problem right away.

Good luck,

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »

I've never had so much trouble with a game even back in the DOS days. I have
deleted the entire install and saved the game D/L from amazon into a external HD.
I would be happy to try a fresh install if you all aren't sick of me already. I know it's
all elementary to you guys who've been playing sims for years but I would like to have
the best most up-to-date vers of the game if I could. I just had no idea it was such turmoil.

To set the record straight, the most up-to-date version of the Steel Fury game is 'as installed', with the unoffical patch 0.1.

Everything else, for example SPM (Steel Panzer Mod), is a Mod, which requires a higher level of knowledge and alertness from the user. These have been produced for free by the modders, without obligation by the modders (except from the kindness of their hearts  Grin).

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Tsohg76
Hauptmann

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 05:11:29 PM »

Thanks to the Modding community! this game has so much more Depth! Then when i first played it years ago. the finest Tank sim ive ever played now.
Mine_Honor_is_True
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 06:08:28 PM »

In reply to All,

Just wanted to let everybody know I appreciate the replies.

User Panzerfaust has been kind enough to PM with an offer of help.
I intend to try to work with him to see if I can get things ironed out.
Obviously, I take personel accountability for anything I do with the
game as well as for my ability to understand the game mechanics, etc.
 It does appear however that the copy I was sold by Amazon was modded.
This may have made the learning curve a little steeper than expected.
They refunded my purchase but left me with this functional copy. The
copy I have runs fine but my goal is to be able to use the game as good
as any others - such as you guys. Hopefully Panzerfaust & I will do just that.

TIA,

Mine_Honor_is_True
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 01:44:40 AM »

: Mine_Honor_is_True , even if your copy has been modded it should not be a big deal unless it is a corrupt one.AS Kyth posted previously it would help if could take a snapshop of your game folder and of the JSGME to see what you have so we can all guide you.

IF in your JSGME for example you have the Beta 1.5 mod enabled all you need to do is disenable it.
Rooman296
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

Hi, everyone...I'm somewhat new to the game, having downloaded it from Amazon last year, played it a bit and then became frustrated with the impossible-to-locate mission builder and just forgot about it. But recently I gave it another shot and while the game itself is great, the mission builder issue is driving me nuts. I joined this forum first and foremost just to FIND the mission editor, the most elusive thing I've ever experienced with any game. After looking high and low, taking all the advice to make batch files and command prompts and etc etc etc..it has finally dawned on me that my download simply does not have the mission editor. It's the only explanation. I have searched every folder, subfolder and location I can think of. I just didn't get it from Amazon.

I've emailed both Amazon and Strategy First to see if I can simply get the necessary folder with the MB in it! Then I can think about modding and so forth but first I want to play with the MB.

If I don't have any luck with the companies, I am hopeing somebody on here will share a copy of the MB. This whole thing is so crazy and has come close to making me a wee bit nuts myself. I'd appreciate any and all help.

"Rooman"
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 04:07:40 PM »

Rooman296; I had already posted how to create the mission editor in the game. Here it is again:

***How to create a Shortcut to the Mission Editor.***

1)Open notepad

2) Copy the following line into it and save it  ( call it editor_mission):
"bin\rel\shell.exe" root\programs\newmis.program

3)Click on the file tab of the notepad and click on save as and save your file as "editor_mission.bat"

4) you should get  a working batch file which you only need to paste into your game main folder and your ME will be up and running.Just click on it and an editor_mission screen will open .You are in business. 

Thanks!

Please note that the mission editor only appears in any installation once you either create it yourself as explained above or once you go into the user-made missions menu and use of the maps listed to create a mission of your own.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 04:10:14 PM by frinik » Logged
Rooman296
Oberleutnant

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 04:10:36 PM »

Rooman296; I had already posted how to create the mission editor in the game. Here it is again:

***How to create a Shortcut to the Mission Editor.***

1)Open notepad

2) Copy the following line into it and save it  ( call it editor_mission):
"bin\rel\shell.exe" root\programs\newmis.program

3)Click on the file tab of the notepad and click on save as and save your file as "editor_mission.bat"

4) you should get  a working batch file which you only need to paste into your game main folder and your ME will be up and running.Just click on it and an editor_mission screen will open .You are in business. 

Thanks!

Thanks again for posting that but it doesn't work. As I stated, I don't think my download came with the mission editor. I tried your solution and various versions of it before and all that happens is a quick flash of what appears to be the command prompt screen followed by...nothing.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »

It 's imply not possible that your game will not accept a batch file...OK PM me your email I will email you my all made editor batch files that you will simply pate into your game's main folder. I guarantee you that they will work.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: