Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 01:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Any update on Mius front?  (Read 410180 times)
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:03 AM »

Regards

Aces

When will this be added to game?
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »

I'm far from native english speaker, but I think that trophy is more of a show-off thing that is not meant for actual use. You could say that americans in wwII collected pistols like Luger or swords like katana as trophies, for example.

Better term would indeed be captured weapons/equipment.

Anyway, there's so many bad translations in the game that I wouldn't even notice. With all respect. Smiley
Here's the problem. The game has two kinds of "trophies" - captured (in statistics), and captured to be used directly for rearmament if needed. The first is called the "captured". How to name the second one (preferably one word)?

If it has to be different trophy is fine, captured is the correct term in both cases.
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »

Yes, your are absolutely right, the game definitely needs chickens Cheesy. I was trying to work out what was missing from the villages and you've nailed it, come on Andrey WE NEED CHICKENS!! Cheesy

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »

If there will be chickens, I demand that we must be able to booby trap them in case of angry germans like in the pic above. Cheesy
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2013, 09:45:43 AM »

Either gathering or collecting would be correct.

The use of the word "of" in that phrase is more subtle.  I can only give examples.
Thanks. I mean this sentence: "It is planned to add gathering of trophies by trophy teams after a battle and their subsequent distribution to platoons by the following rules". So, it should be "It is planned to add enemy weapons gathering by collection teams after the battle...", am I correct?

Or maybe

"It is planned to add salvage teams who will gather/collect enemy weapons after a battle" Huh?
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2013, 02:35:11 PM »

Regards

Aces

When will this be added to game?

Lol
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #126 on: November 18, 2013, 04:46:59 PM »

Tanker - the point of Nelson as example is because it establishes a long-term tacit understanding within GB military parlance that prizes/trophies can/will be rapidly redeployed against their former owners.  (That understanding is taught today as a 'Battlefield Expedient'.)
& I am using the GB military as example because they are located in the ancestral home of the English Language.  Tongue 

You appear to be basing your argument on the fact you speak a form of English.  i.e. your understanding of English Language given the vagaries of personal preference, regional variation, cultural variation, level & type of education & class status.
The problem for me with that is, having known teachers of English Language (at graduate level) in the USA, UK & Russia, I know none of us speaks the same language.  Nor does the average Joe speak the same language as someone at RMA Sandhurst, Dartmouth, West Point or Anapolis etc etc. & 'strangely' enough a German friend writes/speaks some of the most technically excellent English I have seen/heard.

That said, the argument here is not about what is correct per se but about what is generally felt to be comprehensible.
It is probable that the bulk of semi-English-speaking people will understand 'captured' more readily than 'trophies', but for me it isn't as exclusive a term as you appear to believe. 
I agree 'Captured' or 'Captured Equipment/Materiel' covers all angles in both contexts Andrey specifies above.

There is a lot to be learned from the Russian labelling within the game.  But we aren't going to bridge the language gap without a fair bit of mutual cross-referencing.

As regards OF

"It is planned to add gathering of trophies by trophy teams after a battle and their subsequent distribution to platoons by the following rules"
[- I'd swap 'by' for 'using/under/with' etc depending on what is coming next.]
vs
"It is planned to add enemy weapons gathering by collection teams after the battle"
Both are "correct" insofar as they are intelligible, but the second flows better & faster.
Personally I would have used:
'Gathering of enemy weapons by collection teams after a battle is planned.'

I think English is inherently reductive in nature, so the whole of the text can be further changed to link & precis all the elements accurately & maximize info vs space/time to read.

As far as I'm concerned Krabbe is correct in his use of 'OF'.  Whilst what you say is true, it doesn't allow for the way English is taught to foreign language speakers nor the reasons for words like 'of' which may seem superfluous in 'modern colloquial' speech.
If you are writing a paper (or a legal document), academia expects the clauses & sub-clauses to be incontrovertibly defined.  Thus whilst you can drop the odd word  in the spoken tongue, 'formal' documents don't tend to look on the subsequent possibility of ambiguity with leniency.
Krabbes' English is good but he doesn't have the kind of incisive understanding of nuance a native speaker may have.  For him, he might not see a clausal difference without extra sign-posts.  (The same goes for me when reading something other than English or when looking at legal stuff ).
Teaching someone to use what appears to be an archaic form helps in the long-term scheme of comprehension & clause/sub-clause deployment.

I would not expect 'Trophy team' to appear in English in the same way as it does in Russian.  But the Cyrillic language has links to Greek, & the Russian importation of a Greek concept that is still used as it was in Ancient times is entirely logical.

I do frequently hear 'trophy' used correctly on US TV - in shows like Criminal Minds.  The overall context is different but it is as it 'always' was - the removal of some token from someone the 'victor' has killed.   Wink
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #127 on: November 18, 2013, 05:19:07 PM »

Either gathering or collecting would be correct.

The use of the word "of" in that phrase is more subtle.  I can only give examples.
Thanks. I mean this sentence: "It is planned to add gathering of trophies by trophy teams after a battle and their subsequent distribution to platoons by the following rules". So, it should be "It is planned to add enemy weapons gathering by collection teams after the battle...", am I correct?

Or maybe

"It is planned to add salvage teams who will gather/collect enemy weapons after a battle" Huh?

Yes lavish, your phrase would be better.  I suggest, "We plan to add collection teams to recover enemy weapons after the battle and distribute them to friendly platoons according to the following rules."

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #128 on: November 18, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

Chaska your post is very long and I did read it quickly.

Trophy or prizes, in English, has a uniquely 18th century maritime connotation to it.  Or a Roman Triumph following the defeat of a barbarian foe connotation.  There are enough cultural differences between Russia and the English speaking countries that the word trophy will have a different meaning, especially when referring to 20th century events and modern audiences.

I think that we can agree that in colloquial English, whether as spoken in England or in the US, the term "trophy" is less appropriate than "captured enemy weapons" for the meaning that the devs are trying to convey.  British readers can address whether I'm correct in my assessment as far as Britain goes. 

I don't wish to get into a scholarly debate over the finer points of English.  I think that my suggestions regarding trophy and the use of the word "of" improve the understanding of the game's text for English speaking people, where ever they may be from.  That's my only purpose for suggesting the corrections.

Bring back 3D markers!
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #129 on: November 18, 2013, 05:46:31 PM »

As a Brit "It is planned to add salvage teams who will gather/collect enemy weapons after a battle" is how I would say it.

I've never used the term "trophy" in all my life in that context in UK English, a Sport Trophy, A trophy in the context of a souvenir yes, as another way of saying "captured enemy weapons" for usage as opposed to hanging on a wall or putting in a "trophy" cabinet no.

Regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #130 on: November 18, 2013, 05:51:31 PM »

Yes, I agree Aces.  When I first saw it used that way in a Kharkov 42 scenario, the image of collecting enemy ears or teeth, (which did happen in WW2) sprang to mind.

Bring back 3D markers!
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:11 PM »

Soldiers brought "trophies" home after the wars, flags, weapons and various other items. I'd use the term souvenirs in this context but I think that the term trophies, particularly in US English could be used instead in this context and I think that that is the issue. Not that it's a big one at all really but I suspect that in Russian the terms is used like this in the context of captured and used enemy weapons. It is just a translation issue. I'd love to see enemy small arms used in realistic numbers.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:09:52 PM by Aces » Logged

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2013, 06:26:39 PM »

I think souvenirs would be the most used term here in the US also.

Bring back 3D markers!
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #133 on: November 18, 2013, 07:00:55 PM »

In one of my Steel Fury mods I armed one of the German Panzergrenadiers with a PPSh.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:16:20 PM by Aces » Logged

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2013, 07:21:24 PM »

He'll be the envy of his mates. Cheesy

Bring back 3D markers!
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:09 PM »

Specially with a 71 round drum magazine Cheesy

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #136 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »

Under rain
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3865970/Re_GTMF_Graviteam_Tactics_Mius#Post3865970

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Void
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2013, 09:16:17 PM »

Nice, nice! moooore screenshots! .....and release date please Wink
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2013, 12:34:05 AM »

I knew it! I knew it! Finally! Vehicles that get wet from the rain! Cheesy
I was waiting for it for a long, long time. I even remember Andrey's post in which he mentions that GT considers adding alternate specular maps for rainy weather!
However I have a question. Will the specular map swap be gradual or instantaneous after first drops of rain hit our vehicles?

It might not be crucial for gameplay, but sure is for immersion and video recording! Smiley
Thanks!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »

I knew it! I knew it! Finally! Vehicles that get wet from the rain! Cheesy
I was waiting for it for a long, long time. I even remember Andrey's post in which he mentions that GT considers adding alternate specular maps for rainy weather!

In GTOS this feature present about half year. Little bit another tech but the same thing.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: