Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 08:28:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38
  Print  
Author Topic: Any update on Mius front?  (Read 410207 times)
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2013, 01:45:15 PM »

News about trophy system:
https://www.facebook.com/Graviteam/posts/622160604509884

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »

Wonderful!

Does this apply to small arms / heavy machineguns, at-rifles and light mortars / at-guns and howitzers / vehicles / tanks?

My guess is only for the first two categories above, since the rest would be taken out from the battlefield like in GTOS...
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2013, 04:36:31 PM »

Just to let you know Andrey, "trophies" would be better translated into English as "captured enemy equipment" (or captured enemy weapons).  It just reads better and makes more sense that way in English.  I recommend changing the term trophies in game, to that or something similar.

Bring back 3D markers!
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2013, 05:18:48 PM »

What about "trophy teams", what is the English term for this? And is "gathering of captured equipment" correct? Or maybe it should be "collecting of..."?

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
chashka17
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2013, 05:25:25 PM »

Just to let you know Andrey, "trophies" would be better translated into English as "captured enemy equipment" (or captured enemy weapons).  It just reads better and makes more sense that way in English.  I recommend changing the term trophies in game, to that or something similar.

I have to differ on that Tanker - I fully understand Trophy being 'Trophy of War' IIRC the term 'Prize of War' was in 'official' use in the UK Navy by the time of Nelson.  (It may have been earlier)

Historically 'trophy' comes from the Ancient world:- re wikipedia: -
In ancient Greece and Rome, military victories were commemorated with a display of captured arms and standards. A trophy (from the Greek tropaion) was originally a war memorial assembled from such items on a battlefield. The Roman triumph also displayed these items as well as cultural objects, which later came to be called war trophies. Body parts of slain enemies have sometimes served as trophies since antiquity, in a practice called human trophy collecting. The recovery of Roman eagles taken as trophies by enemy forces sometimes inspired years of added warfare.
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

Hi Andrey,

You mentioned as used in the latest GTOS patch but I've never seen the use of captured enemy weapons. Is there a setting to enable this?.

Kind regards

Aces

Edit: Actually I do recall seeing the Russians using captured German halftracks but never noticed any other weapons and small arms.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:00:29 PM by Aces » Logged

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »

I'm far from native english speaker, but I think that trophy is more of a show-off thing that is not meant for actual use. You could say that americans in wwII collected pistols like Luger or swords like katana as trophies, for example.

Better term would indeed be captured weapons/equipment.

Anyway, there's so many bad translations in the game that I wouldn't even notice. With all respect. Smiley
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

I think modern sports have altered the word trophy lately.

Most people now associate a trophy as something awarded to display for winning a sporting event.

I understand what it means in the game but I still translate it as captured enemy weapons for use as opposed to an award or a display.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2013, 06:20:38 PM »

I'm far from native english speaker, but I think that trophy is more of a show-off thing that is not meant for actual use. You could say that americans in wwII collected pistols like Luger or swords like katana as trophies, for example.

Anyway, there's so many bad translations in the game that I wouldn't even notice. With all respect. Smiley

You have to start somewhere.  And incorrect translations are the easiest thing to correct.

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

I have to differ on that Tanker - I fully understand Trophy being 'Trophy of War' IIRC the term 'Prize of War' was in 'official' use in the UK Navy by the time of Nelson.  (It may have been earlier)

Historically 'trophy' comes from the Ancient world:- re wikipedia: -
In ancient Greece and Rome, military victories were commemorated with a display of captured arms and standards. A trophy (from the Greek tropaion) was originally a war memorial assembled from such items on a battlefield. The Roman triumph also displayed these items as well as cultural objects, which later came to be called war trophies. Body parts of slain enemies have sometimes served as trophies since antiquity, in a practice called human trophy collecting. The recovery of Roman eagles taken as trophies by enemy forces sometimes inspired years of added warfare.

Chaska, a MG-42 or a Panzer IV salvaged from the battlefield and used against the enemy by the Soviets is a far cry from a cultural object or enemy body parts paraded through the imperial captial.  Your use of trophy in that instance is correct.  If every weapon captured in the game was paraded through Red Square on May 1, I'd agree that trophies was the best choice.  Google translator has lead GT astray in applying it to captured and reused enemy weapons.  Also you're not writing for people from the time of Nelson, you're writing for modern English speakers.  Take it from me,  it is very strange to use the word trophy in the sense it is being used in the game.  I've been using English for a very long time, almost my whole life Wink.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:34:57 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2013, 06:58:12 PM »

What about "trophy teams", what is the English term for this? And is "gathering of captured equipment" correct? Or maybe it should be "collecting of..."?

Either gathering or collecting would be correct.

The use of the word "of" in that phrase is more subtle.  I can only give examples.

You would say "The soldiers were gathering  enemy weapons after the battle."  You would not say, "The soldiers were gathering "of" enemy weapons after the battle.

Similarly you could say The gathering of weapons was a policy(passive voice) or Gathering weapons was a policy(active voice)

Sorry if I offered an overly complicated answer.  But basically gathered or collected would be correct.

Describe what you mean by "trophy teams".   Are you talking about teams composed of the best members? 

Bring back 3D markers!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »

Hi Andrey,

You mentioned as used in the latest GTOS patch but I've never seen the use of captured enemy weapons. Is there a setting to enable this?.

Kind regards

Aces

Edit: Actually I do recall seeing the Russians using captured German halftracks but never noticed any other weapons and small arms.
Its present only if it used in real world (we know) in this place.
In Shilovo Germans are rarely used SVT rifle.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:08:30 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2013, 07:03:34 PM »

Here's the problem. The game has two kinds of "trophies" - captured (in statistics), and captured to be used directly for rearmament if needed. The first is called the "captured". How to name the second one (preferably one word)?

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »

Describe what you mean by "trophy teams".   Are you talking about teams composed of the best members? 

"трофейная команда" in Russian, soldiers who collect and sort weapons after the battle. This is a temporary organizational structure.

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2013, 07:12:29 PM »

Here's the problem. The game has two kinds of "trophies" - captured (in statistics), and captured to be used directly for rearmament if needed. The first is called the "captured". How to name the second one (preferably one word)?

Is it a space requirement?  There is not room for more than one word?  If so perhaps consider abbreviations to fit in a multi word description.  Alternately the words salvaged or recovered, while not perfect could describe weapons gathered from the battlefield, but they could be either friendly or enemy.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:19:19 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2013, 07:13:41 PM »

"трофейная команда" in Russian, soldiers who collect and sort weapons after the battle. This is a temporary organizational structure.

Ah, I would say collection or salvage teams.
Edit: Another possibility would be recovery teams.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:18:07 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2013, 07:33:44 PM »

Ah, I would say collection or salvage teams.
Edit: Another possibility would be recovery teams.

I think collection is the best.
Salvage and recovery is for "allied trophy"

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2013, 07:34:42 PM »

Is it a space requirement?  There is not room for more than one word?  If so perhaps consider abbreviations to fit in a multi word description.  Alternately the words salvaged or recovered, while not perfect could describe weapons gathered from the battlefield, but they could be either friendly or enemy.
Space (2 words  max  ) and difference for player - one is statistic other can be used.

P.S. I think we can use COLLECTED for second category (captured and sorted by types)?

P.P.S In Russian "trophy" is right word for both: captured tank and reindeer antlers on the wall. And "capture" in most cases is a word for process to get trophy  Grin
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 07:40:49 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:42 PM »

Hi Andrey,

What about German usage of the much prized PPSh sub-machine guns?, I think that these were used as the Germans preferred the higher magazine capacity. I've seen a few shots of these weapons used by German troops in Normandy as late as 1944 so ammunition couldn't have been so much a problem. I've also seen photographs of German troops in winter using captured Maxim and DP MGs because the oil used didn't freeze and jam like the German MGs in sub-zero temperatures.

Regards

Aces
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:59:57 PM by Aces » Logged

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2013, 06:09:36 AM »

Either gathering or collecting would be correct.

The use of the word "of" in that phrase is more subtle.  I can only give examples.
Thanks. I mean this sentence: "It is planned to add gathering of trophies by trophy teams after a battle and their subsequent distribution to platoons by the following rules". So, it should be "It is planned to add enemy weapons gathering by collection teams after the battle...", am I correct?

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 38
  Print  

Jump to: