Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mius; feature request: Saving the game  (Read 16474 times)
Shadrach
Major

« on: October 07, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »

Since Mius will be a new game with a (presumably) new engine - not sure what features it will have, specifically when it comes to the game UI itself.

Would it be complicated to implement a saving feature during the operational phase, so that we can have saves per turn and the possibility to go back?

For instance, sometimes during a big operation, 12 turns, in turn six I figure I did a huge tactical blunder in turn four. It would be much better to roll back to turn four instead of having to restart.

For us guys who are more interested in the many potential "what-ifs" and outcomes of decisions, than having a save round forced on us by the game with no option to go back. I am not playing the game for a "hardcore" challenge I am playing for enjoyment and historical accuracy  Wink

I am not suggesting to add full save during tactical battle, I understand that this would a hell of a lot of stuff to handle - unit positions, incoming rounds, artillery, order state, etc. There is a save during battle now but I hardly ever use it and I have found it to be unstable when doing it. I can live with replaying a 1 hour battle, but not having to go back to start on the operational map.

But for operational phase this could be as simple as taking the existing save-game, putting it in an archive and giving it a name, with the possibility to open such file if needed later. I know I've done it manually several times (can't remember what the files are called), when I wanted to have a "save point".

Would this be possible to add to Mius or is it already too late for such features?

-Shad

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:46:33 PM »

In global its not complicated. But...

This feature have many issues, for example destructions on polygons, achievements and statistic in profile, that need to be rolled back.

In GTMF we plan to add extended operation statistic for each turn. Somthing like this:

"I am not suggesting to add full save during tactical battle, I understand that this would a hell of a lot of stuff to handle - unit positions, incoming rounds, artillery, order state, etc."

Full save in tactical battle now present in GTOS/APOS about year or more - its coplicated in tech, but simpler in concept rather than in operation phase.

"Would this be possible to add to Mius or is it already too late for such features?"
We plan to improve the game after the release, as it was with APOS/GTOS.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 05:51:27 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Shadrach
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Andrey - I am sure you will be adding lots of features to the game after release, that is one of the things I really like about you guys, great continuing support.

Am I correct in assuming the files 1942_07_Voronezh_04_06_07_shilovo_ger* are related to the save game of for instance Shilovo for the German side?  What does the 04_06_07 mean, some kind of turn counter?

There are a lot of *.damsav files so I guess those reflect the damage to the polygons?

In addition there are the files:
shelp_tac.hlp_seen
shelp_op.hlp_seen
1942_07_Voronezh_04_06_07_shilovo_ger.opsave
user.tcsprofile
That I see are updated when saving the game.

I believe I did it once, I "backed up" all the files in users\profiles\537469616E and could reset the game to an earlier turn. Of course there are saves for all the operations there but it is not a lot of data. It zips down to about a megabyte which is not a lot for a save game.

Should be an easy job for me to just create a batch file to make an improvised backup or do it manually. However it would of course be best if this was implemented in the game itself.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

Am I correct in assuming the files 1942_07_Voronezh_04_06_07_shilovo_ger* are related to the save game of for instance Shilovo for the German side?  What does the 04_06_07 mean, some kind of turn counter?

There are a lot of *.damsav files so I guess those reflect the damage to the polygons?
Yes.
Its possible, but very hard to debug and support.

1942_07_Voronezh_04_06_07_shilovo_ger.opsave
user.tcsprofile
That I see are updated when saving the game.
Only this file, is "operation image" at current state.

I believe I did it once, I "backed up" all the files in users\profiles\537469616E and could reset the game to an earlier turn. Of course there are saves for all the operations there but it is not a lot of data. It zips down to about a megabyte which is not a lot for a save game.
Yes its is possible, but its not work correctly in all cases. And restore do not affect correctly on statistics or achievements.

Another bad issue is can broken after patch and mod enable/disable.

I hope in Mius will be somthing different may be necessary in all this will disappear altogether Smiley

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
JamesX
Hauptmann

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »

Personally I think not being able to go back to a previously saved point in an operation is a good thing!  Real life commanders could not turn back time and had to adapt to the developing situation.  Being forced to follow the consequences of your decisions makes it all the more tense & challenging.  Anyway that's a personal preference which a player can choose to use or not with a new saved game feature.

A new feature that would be excellent would be the ability to record your battles & play them back from any viewpoint.  There is so much intense dynamic action that is missed as you cant be everywhere at once.  I've had so many incredible battles which I wished I could keep and view again.  Also the 'newsreels' you could make from these recordings would be classic - and also a very good show piece for the game...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:15:26 AM by JamesX » Logged
Shadrach
Major

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »

Personally I think not being able to go back to a previously saved point in an operation is a good thing!  Real life commanders could not turn back time and had to adapt to the developing situation.  Being forced to follow the consequences of your decisions makes it all the more tense & challenging.  Anyway that's a personal preference which a player can choose to use or not with a new saved game feature.

That was kind of my point Wink I don't care about the tense challenge or it being like a "real commander", I am interested in "what if" situations and want to test different approaches to solving a problem. If the only way I have of testing a different approach is going back to start and replaying potentially dozens of battles to get where I was then that is a huge frustration.

But yeah, it should be an option for the play - some people enjoy games with permadeath, some do not Wink

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »

May be "roll back + many branches" feature is better suitable than savegame?

Shadrach
Major

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »

May be "roll back + many branches" feature is better suitable than savegame?

Yes I think this would work - dependent on how far it is possible to roll back turns.

Different "saves" in the effect of having several points/branches on which to restart a campaign would be a welcome feature.

Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:20:39 PM »

Hi Andrey,

A small feature request, could we please have the additional option to select the formation as a "V" or Panzerkiel (panzer wedge formation) for tanks, we have line and column but I think that V formation would be a nice addition.

Thanks and kind regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
Gamefront: http://tinyurl.com/bpbaeyl
Mediafire: http://tinyurl.com/bn2aoqt
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 07:28:53 PM »

Hi Andrey,

A small feature request, could we please have the additional option to select the formation as a "V" or Panzerkiel (panzer wedge formation) for tanks, we have line and column but I think that V formation would be a nice addition.

Thanks and kind regards

Aces
Not promise in release, but we check and write requests in plan queue.

Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »

Thank you for your attention Andrey,

Kind regards

Aces

"IL-2 MAT Manager" co-dev.,Silent Hunter III "Super Turms","Super Pens","Crew on Deck" ,Multi-Skin Bombers dev. Wings of Victory v2.10.
cuca_
Hauptmann

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 10:39:37 PM »

They work fine, too bad I don't have a hooper DLC, but it's OK I'm more into WWII Cheesy
cuca_
Hauptmann

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:25 AM »

...I commented on a different thread but my comment ended up here... nvr mind
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »

Hi Andrey,

I was playing Steel Fury last night and it reminded me that this game has barbed wire and/or tank trap obstacles whereas I've never noticed them on any map in APOS. Might they be a feature of Mius? or something that could be added where appropriate to APOS maps?.

Thanks and regards

Aces

PS. Oh and minefields would be fun Smiley, lots of those on the Eastern Front. I appreciate that it would be very intensive to calculate the positioning of infantry and vehicles and mines but maybe a % chance of hitting a mine in a given area might be doable?.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:51:52 AM by Aces » Logged

cuca_
Hauptmann

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 11:55:35 AM »

Hi Andrey,

I was playing Steel Fury last night and it reminded me that this game has barbed wire and/or tank trap obstacles whereas I've never noticed them on any map in APOS. Might they be a feature of Mius? or something that could be added where appropriate to APOS maps?.

Thanks and regards

Aces

PS. Oh and minefields would be fun Smiley, lots of those on the Eastern Front. I appreciate that it would be very intensive to calculate the positioning of infantry and vehicles and mines but maybe a % chance of hitting a mine in a given area might be doable?.

I definitely want minefields Cheesy
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »

I've seen barbed wire on the Taranovka and Rakitnoe maps.
Aces
Generalleutnant

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 01:49:48 PM »

I must have missed those Smiley

cuca_
Hauptmann

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 11:28:27 AM »

Ability to place tank obstacles, barbed wire and mines before the battle would be great Cheesy
It gives a tactical edge.
Lanzfeld
Leutnant

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »

A new feature that would be excellent would be the ability to record your battles & play them back from any viewpoint.  There is so much intense dynamic action that is missed as you cant be everywhere at once.  I've had so many incredible battles which I wished I could keep and view again.  Also the 'newsreels' you could make from these recordings would be classic - and also a very good show piece for the game...

I came here to specifically see if this was going to be a feature in the new release/game engine. I guess it is not. I agree with you that this feature would improve this game so much.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »

Released game without some features at infinite number of times better than unreleased but with these features.
Therefore, for players better strategy is offer features to remove from the game, not what to add.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 03:10:41 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: