Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:27:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Which way do you prefer to play multiplayer games?  (Read 77530 times)
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

Yeah, whatever it is that allows one to play other over the net.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 08:26:02 PM »

I would like to play Andrey also.
With me as a Russian tank platoon commander and him as a German Infantry company commander Smiley Grin

Well, I prepared beforehand groups of tank destroyers and better AT guns for infantry  Cheesy.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Missouri_Rebel
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2013, 01:26:22 AM »

Is that the choice?  Direct connect or over the net? Seems like everyone over at the facebook page says direct connect IPv4? What is the correct one for playing over the net? I certainly don't have 2 desktops or any friends real close that play.
Santini
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2013, 02:27:25 AM »

I would like to play Andrey also.
With me as a Russian tank platoon commander and him as a German Infantry company commander Smiley Grin

Well, I prepared beforehand groups of tank destroyers and better AT guns for infantry  Cheesy.

!!!!!! Gotcha.
jiltedjock
Oberleutnant

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »

I have always found Men of War /Men of War Assault to have good multiplayer matchmaking.  It uses Gamespy and peer to peer host/client.

Obviously Gamespy is on the way out, but for me if multiplayer is to be successful, there does need to be some kind of lobby system available in-game.
StkNRdr
Oberleutnant

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:18 PM »

PBEM.  Play only with the person of your choosing and play at your convenience.  Should not in any way affect AI games.  It would also bring attention to the game, and Graviteam in general, on such sites as The Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club.  http://www.theblitz.org/

In addition, the idea of coop play is interesting also.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »

With all due respect, there will be no turn-based species, nor the classics, nor mutants as WEGO. Only realtime with time control by agreement.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
StkNRdr
Oberleutnant

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »

With all due respect, there will be no turn-based species, nor the classics, nor mutants as WEGO. Only realtime with time control by agreement.

Ah, copy that.  So that being the case, my comment would be that for realtime play an option be considered to allow either players to pause play at any time unilaterally.  You never know when one will spill that beer, the baby starts crying, or worse yet, the wife returns and finds you playing.

And, again, the coop play sounds intriguing.

Sorry for the post about this in two threads, I found this one after I posted to the other.
eniced73
Oberleutnant

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 03:00:19 AM »

That is a shame.  The game has so much to offer and very nice graphics and models.  Sometimes missing a good shot or one of your tanks getting blown up is disappointing.  Replaying the turn and watching from different angles lets you enjoy every ounce of the game.  Just my opinion. 
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »

You never know when one will spill that beer, the baby starts crying, or worse yet, the wife returns and finds you playing.

Yes, these are the reasons for which I do not believe in multiplayer gaming with the session more than 15 minutes.  Cheesy

By multiplayer I mean one that does not fails 99% of the time (like MMO). But not that 10 people on the weekends looking for someone to play by entering IP addresses.

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »

Replaying the turn and watching from different angles lets you enjoy every ounce of the game.  Just my opinion. 

And also destroys all germs of realism that there in the game.

StkNRdr
Oberleutnant

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2014, 10:03:31 PM »

Replaying the turn and watching from different angles lets you enjoy every ounce of the game.  Just my opinion. 

You have a very good game and have every right to be proud of it.  With all due respect though, wasn't "realism" destroyed the minute you put a pause and +/- game speed buttons in the game?

Not everyone plays a game the same way.  Watching a replay allows you to be present in every squad and see things from their angle which I rather enjoy.  One other aspect is the taking of screenshots, getting just the right moment and angle.  Having this ability in the game does not take "realism" away from those that do not want to use it, they simply do not use the option.  It does add flexibility to game play for other players. 

I understand this is not my product and I have no say in the matter but I am not new to war games as I have been playing them for 45+ years.    In my opinion there are areas that could be improved, that's all.  Product flexibility equates to added sales.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2014, 03:17:54 AM »

That's why it's called a game Andrey.   Otherwise it would be real life and we might die.  How about giving choices that people enjoy instead of dictating?

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2014, 08:46:46 AM »

I would never use a replay feature. Now to be totally clear we are talking a bout play back right.  Showing WHAT happened not going back in time like loading a save right?

My simple solution to missing cool things is just PLAY more.  =) 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2014, 09:39:36 AM »

You have a very good game and have every right to be proud of it.  With all due respect though, wasn't "realism" destroyed the minute you put a pause and +/- game speed buttons in the game?

This is a necessary options, unfortunately. Especially pause. But, all this cant back to the past or cut timeline to discrete chunks. And do not have much influence on realism.

Real world: timeline is incessantly and commander can start order in any time but cant do many orders in one moment.
Take this 3 key points as ethalon for simulators.

WEGO: timeline is discrete and commander can start many orders buf only from 1min/30 sec time chunk.
does not match with the ethalon in any of the items (0 from 3)

Real-time with pause with command bar (as in GTOS): timeline is incessantly and commander can start order in any time but can do limited amount of orders (limits come from command bar) in one moment.
match 2.5 from 3

WEGO has no scope if we are talking about realism.

Not everyone plays a game the same way.  Watching a replay allows you to be present in every squad and see things from their angle which I rather enjoy. 
I cant understand, you want replays or WEGO?

If replays I am agreed (this feature in far far plans), if WEGO - no.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:42:12 AM by andrey12345 » Logged

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »

That's why it's called a game Andrey.   Otherwise it would be real life and we might die.  How about giving choices that people enjoy instead of dictating?

This game is simulator by one half Smiley
In this case we need to do somthing limits or it will be an arcade game.

Basic important things like scales, control methods and orders must be close to reality as possible.

1) Scales for speeds, distances and sizes must be right - this differs simulator from the arcade.
2) Control should be carried out using the second derivative - this differs "arcade simulator" from the "true hardcore simulator".
3) Continious timeline and correct orders system (as I describe in previous post) - this differs wargame from chess.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 09:55:30 AM by andrey12345 » Logged

Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:46 PM »

From what I understand Combat Missionx3 is also getting rid of the play back for their game also.

I cant understand, you want replays or WEGO?
Some of these players want both. I personally don't see the need for either.

One thing I've noticed is that CM is trying very hard to turn CM into GTOS,though that may take them years and they will still be playing catch up far into the future.

I am not interested in seeing this game(GTOS or GTMF) turning into the old CMx2 model I came to this series because it wasn't that abomination that CM became.
And it looks to me that CM is now finally starting to see the error of its ways too.

Graviteam is the leader in this arena and needs nothing from the CM model to make this game better.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 03:24:11 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2014, 04:04:30 PM »

CM2 (don't think there's a CM3 yet) devs never wanted wego or pbem to be implemented from the beginning.  They reacted to demand from their customer base to put it into the game.  As a result, it was put in after the fact.  CM2 is meant to be played H2H (head to head), therefore wego or pbem play is important because not all people can sit for 1-3 hours to complete a game. 

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2014, 04:09:13 PM »

I would never use a replay feature. Now to be totally clear we are talking a bout play back right.  Showing WHAT happened not going back in time like loading a save right?

My simple solution to missing cool things is just PLAY more.  =) 

All I can say is don't knock it until you've tried it and never say never.  I personally think it's pretty cool to have a feature that allows you to reconstruct what happened during a battle.  If it bothers peoples' sense of reality, it can be thought of as debriefing your troops and constructing an AAR of what happened during the battle.  That would be realistic right?  Until we have those kind of reports from the survivors that could be a substitute.

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »

This game is simulator by one half Smiley
In this case we need to do somthing limits or it will be an arcade game.

Basic important things like scales, control methods and orders must be close to reality as possible.

1) Scales for speeds, distances and sizes must be right - this differs simulator from the arcade.
2) Control should be carried out using the second derivative - this differs "arcade simulator" from the "true hardcore simulator".
3) Continious timeline and correct orders system (as I describe in previous post) - this differs wargame from chess.

Andrey, do you think debriefing your surviving troops about the details of what happened during the battle in order to construct an AAR is realistic? 

If yes, then a replay feature could be considered as a debrief of your troops.  Until we can have the troops tell us what happened in their sector during the battle the replay is a realistic substitute.  I'm sure all army's reconstruct what happened by interviewing the troops after a battle.

Bring back 3D markers!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: