Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 11:21:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Map Icons  (Read 11870 times)
Bipman
Hauptmann

« on: March 30, 2014, 09:59:20 AM »

Hello all again.

There are some map markings that are in the main manual but in my copy the descriptions are in Ukranian so I can't read them and Google translate doesn't work with it either.  Are there any English translations available ?

SPG
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »

There should be an English manual somewhere in your game folder (although very outdated). You can also use in-game help. Which markings are that? Maybe if you post a screenshot, we'll be able to help.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

There are some map markings that are in the main manual but in my copy the descriptions are in Ukranian

What?  Shocked

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Bipman
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:16:39 PM »

The manual is in English (version 2009.10.23) but parts are in Ukranian and I have managed to decipher them except page 52; some examples below  :-

Any ideas ?

Bipman
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 06:40:11 PM »

The manual is in English (version 2009.10.23) but parts are in Ukranian and I have managed to decipher them except
Any ideas ?
Ok, I may try to translate, but not guarantee the equal content Smiley
1. hand MG (DG, MG-34)
2. stationary MG (Maxim)
3. hand AT rpg (GzB39)
4. anti-aircraft stationary MG
5. light flame-thrower (FmW-41)

Provocative signature removed
Bipman
Hauptmann

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 06:50:31 PM »

Thanks for the translation !  There are a quite a few others over 2 pages so if anyone has a translation of pages 52 and 53 in the game manual that would be great thanks !

Bipman
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 07:19:36 PM »

The manual is in English (version 2009.10.23) but parts are in Ukranian and I have managed to decipher them except page 52; some examples below  :-

Any ideas ?

Its Russian at first.
Try last patch (dec13a) and use manual (2011.12.17) from it.

You can simply unpack it w/o install (its a ZIP archive) and see at CORE\!sys_upd\docs\support\tactics_manual.pdf
http://www.graviteam.com/AP-STAR/gtos_patch_dec13a_eng.gt2extension

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

Thanks for the translation !
U're welcome Smiley

There are a quite a few others over 2 pages so if anyone has a translation of pages 52 and 53 in the game manual that would be great thanks!
I may try, but my English is awful Smiley Anyway, enclose the required text and we shall see Wink

Provocative signature removed
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:20:48 PM »

I don't speak Russian, but I can understand a bit, especially in written form, despite cyrillic  Grin.
So I'll give it a try. It's probably not 100% correct, but hopefully someone will correct the mistakes.

FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:46:09 PM »

РСЗО  = MLRS

Блиндаж, эскарп = blindage, scarp

Проволочное заграждение = wire entanglement

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:38:11 PM »

Most of the symbols are standard Soviet/Warsaw pact icons.  Many are nearly the same as NATO sorts.  Probably all came out of some French field manual from 1900 and evolved away from each other.  I say such as all the gun, at gun sorts are the same or nearly the same for Nato or at least US.  Oddly the ww2 German ones are Greek to me. 

Yabba dabba do
Bipman
Hauptmann

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 06:10:23 AM »

Thanks to everyone for their help !  Now I Know what I am looking at.  I did open the Dec13 patch but the manual text for these items is still in Ukrainian.

Bipman
davidx
Hauptmann

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 02:39:42 PM »

Hello,

A good document for USSR symbols in english written by US DOD, that has assisted me is:

"Handbook on USSR Military Forces, Chapter XII: Maps, Conventional Sign, and Symbols" from 1946.

A pdf version is located in the DigitalCommons@University of Nebraska - Lincoln library with the link: http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/dodmilintel
Move down to the year 1946.

regards,

Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 02:48:59 PM »

Just use the wiki: http://gravitac.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Platoon_types

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
davidx
Hauptmann

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 06:57:38 PM »

Hello,

that link does summarize the tactical symbols nicely. My interest is also the operational symbols used in the briefing. I would like to create some operational variations of the demo/default operation, and would like to use the briefing stencils/symbols, appropriately.  I have some from references, and some by extrapolation, from its using. Is there something similar for the operational briefing symbols?

regards,
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 12:28:41 PM »

But these are operational phase symbols! I'm not sure I understand what symbols you are talking about. Could you give an example picture, please?

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
davidx
Hauptmann

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »

Hello,

specifically the symbols used in the briefing graphics for operations, example:

from "Operation Editor Manual Ver. 2012.06.07",
Pic. 1.4 Interface of Draw graphic editor,
Lowest left pane/window

regards,

Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2015, 02:01:55 PM »

These are the same Red Army tactical symbols as on the wiki. Handbook on USSR Military Forces has these, too.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: