Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:06:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Unable to execute file" at the end of installation... (?)  (Read 3993 times)
ubermenschx
Oberleutnant

« on: April 03, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »

I am sure this topic has been visited before...

I cannot get Kharkov to install on my Windows 7 laptop.
I select a file (other than in my Programs folder as the destination) and get this:

"Unable to execute file
Create process fail; code 740
The requested operation requires elevation"

Any ideas?

Thanks, Ubermenschx
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »

if you would care to Google the error code you'd quickly find lot of references and possible solutions to your problem:

Error 740: The requested operation requires elevation

Article ID: 243

Last updated: 11 Dec, 2013 

Print

Email to friend 

Views: 44664

The message "Error 740: The requested operation requires elevation" indicates that WinZip has been configured to Run as administrator. Some people might do this to make it possible for WinZip to create and/or edit Zip files in protected folders, such as those inside the Program Files folder. That configuration will work for some uses of WinZip, but it will then cause this issue for other uses.

Error Message

User Account Control in Windows 8, Windows 7, and Windows Vista causes applications to run as a "user" rather than as an "administrator" by default. Certain actions you take will cause User Account Control to display a dialog which will allow you to elevate your permissions level to the administrator level. A program that is running with user permissions, however, will not cause User Account Control to offer you this option.

If you right click a file or folder in order to use the WinZip context menu for zipping (see the picture below), and if WinZip is configured to always Run as administrator, the error above will occur.

Context Menu

WinZip Properties

The configuration mentioned above can be found in the Compatibility tab of WinZip Properties. If you right click the WinZip desktop shortcut and choose Properties, the dialog will open. If you find the check box next to Run this program as an administrator is checked, Windows will require WinZip to always run with administrator permissions. In other words, any time you start WinZip, using one of the shortcut icons or by double clicking a Zip file, a UAC dialog will display requiring and enabling you to elevate your permissions.

The "Run as administrator" configuration causes a conflict with context menus, such as the WinZip one pictured. Conext menus are contolled by Windows Explorer (explorer.exe), and that is running as a user by default. Windows Explorer is unable, then, to elevate permissions, which is necessary to cause WinZip to run, since it is set to always run as administrator. You will need to remove the check from this box to stop seeing this error.

Note: You should also click the Change settings for all users button and uncheck the Run this program as an administrator box if you find that it is checked in the all users dialog.

If you have any questions about this information please email Technical Support

ubermenschx
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »

Thanks for the information. Interestingly, Windows Explorer is the default program to open Zip folders (?) Not WinZip or another utility... so I am not sure how I would change the Administrator setting (Huh?)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »

The key is if you insist on installing games on your c: drive is using admin rights I.e.2. Right click.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: