Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 10:07:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Night battles  (Read 4274 times)
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« on: April 21, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

I'm in doubt whether to forbid the AI to start a night battle or not.

I do enjoy occasional night battle, even though it can turn into a complete chaos  Grin. And limiting the campaign to daytime only will considerably shorten them. Also, it will give me an advantage over the AI, being able to start a battle any time. If I disable night battles, would there still be a chance for AI to accidentally bump into my forces and start a fight?

On the other hand, night battles can be too chaotic for me  Grin. Besides, the night gives a chance to both sides to regroup and resupply. Also I don't think night battles were too common during the ww2, so disabling them feels more realistic. But then I might be wrong...

What do you think?
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »

Modern war is 24/7.  And artillery spotters with flares really helps!  But most army's don't start fights in the dark.  Dawn or Dusk seem to be the preferred.  Dusk makes a lot of sense if you do not have air support.  You can start the attack in a coordinated way and not have to worry about enemy air attacks when night sets in.  But once battle is joined it is 24/7.  Most intense fighting will be in the day.  At night usually more scouting and probing.  Or one side or the other attempting to finish a fight that started during the day. 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 01:55:04 PM »

On the other hand, night battles can be too chaotic for me  Grin. Besides, the night gives a chance to both sides to regroup and resupply. Also I don't think night battles were too common during the ww2, so disabling them feels more realistic. But then I might be wrong...

Absolutely common at WWII, especially in snowy winter.
At the beginning of 1943 in Kharkov area fought at day and at night.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

Absolutely common at WWII, especially in snowy winter.
At the beginning of 1943 in Kharkov area fought at day and at night.
One more reason to leave the night battles on.  Smiley
Xambrium
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 05:30:34 PM »

I reduce nightbattles to 30min..
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 06:54:40 PM »

Also I don't think night battles were too common during the ww2.

What do you think?

At least on the Eastern front they were very common. If the strong defence was met attackers switched to night mod. That was in march 43 during Taranovka fights (when Germans failed to take the village at first glance they started to attack at nights in the snowstorm to reduce efficiency of USSR artillery and MGs), that was in July 43 on the Mius, when night attacks with tanks in the moonlight were used by USSR as a tool to reduce efficiency of PAK40 & PAK43 against T-34.

In the September 42 in Sinyavino swamps USSR troops were encircled (~ 30000 men), the way Germans echieved it was that troops about a coy strenght leaked at nights in Soviet rear and have organized defence of every path.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:10:53 PM by FB_AGA » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: