Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 12:58:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: idea for a Hardcore Commander mode  (Read 5667 times)
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:15 PM »

for hardcore players only.

Player can only view the battlefield from the Commanders actual viewpoint.

You can view the tactical map but it is not 100% accurate due to the time lag involved in WW2 communications, it is entirely dependent on platoons calling in their position and reporting enemy movements and shows information relating to the last reports received. The quality of information would be affected by the quality of the platoon commander, experience would improve the quality of information and therefore the tactical map would show a more accurate picture.

Telephone wire connections are vital, if they are broken then all real time communication with that platoon is lost and tactical map updates for them cease, also no direct orders can be issued.

Recon units can foray out to gather intel but they must find a field telephone/radio operator or return to the command post to deliver the information so the tactical map can be updated. Again more experienced recon units would gather better quality intel and deliver it faster.

Motorcycle or Horse mounted Despatch riders can be sent to 'cut off' platoons to find out what the situation is and to deliver orders, but this takes time and they might never reach their objective. Tactical map is updated upon their return, again the experience of the relevant Platoon commander affects the quality and accuracy of the information. this is risky as orders and intel can be intercepted by the enemy.

Captured enemy soldiers can be interrogated for intelligence, only information related to that soldiers units can be extracted. the higher the rank of the prisoner the better the quality of intelligence assuming their will can be broken. Morale of the prisoner could perhaps affect the likelihood of him breaking under interrogation.

The Commander can travel around the battlefield to view the situation for himself however as he travels between positions he loses all ability to communicate with individual platoon commanders.

I would love to play this game in this way, it would be a completely different experience and it would reflect what it must have been like for a commander in the field during WW2, scraps of intel coming in, platoons losing contact and that feeling of not really knowing what was going on and having to trust your men.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 06:01:46 PM by wildman » Logged
Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

Could've sworn Andrey suggested this as a joke once.
Xambrium
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »

Only harware to be used

Wink
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 12:25:57 AM »

to be frank commanding from a command half track or even a fox hole would be vary interesting.  I would love that.  But realistically for the scope of how big some battles can get, not exactly a main stream thing.

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:39 AM »

It'd be fine, if you had subordinates that were more competent than the ai.

Bring back 3D markers!
Shadrach
Major

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 09:35:46 AM »

Haha, good idea, reminds me of the old "Waterloo" game, used to play this on the Amiga back in the day. You could turn off "free look" and only view the game from Napoleon or Wellington. All communication was handled by written orders and written status updates from your commanders. Sometimes it would be an hour between status updates, with 15 min turns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterloo_(video_game)

Like:
"D'Erlon, at 1 15 pm order Donzelot defend the hills 1 mile south of you"
"Lobau, transfer your cavalry to Reille"
"Drouot, at 6 30 pm give support to Reille, D'Erlon and Milhaud"

The AI was very impressive for the day, to be able parse these orders.

A buddy and me used to play this all the time, all through the night. Sometimes we'd give orders, then let the game run overnight to see what happened Smiley

Also the Histwar: Les Grognards game has something of the same, you can only view the battlefield from the commanders position and are reliant on information from your subordinates.
http://www.histwar.com/

Not tried it myself - but I like the concept for true immersion.
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 10:10:12 AM »

I used to play waterloo on the Amiga too : )
also the Total War games used to have a Generals camera mode which restricted your view of the battlefield.

for me there is something really great about not seeing everything and not knowing exactly what is happening then receiving bits of information and trying to put the pieces together in your imagination.

And to those who raise the point that the AI has flaws, humans make mistakes all the time, I would just put AI mistakes down to Platoon commanders misinterpreting my orders or losing their heads in the heat of battle.

This could be just a game mode not the actual game, thus it would be completely down to the player to decide if he wanted to play this way, apart from adding a few variables as far as the campaign map updates are concerned and the addition of a few units - despatch riders, gestapo interrogation squads lol it would be pretty straight forward to add this, or maybe make it as a mod.
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 11:46:33 AM »

Haha, good idea, reminds me of the old "Waterloo" game, used to play this on the Amiga back in the day.

LOL I played that game too. A lot!
jiltedjock
Oberleutnant

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 01:48:27 PM »

I used to play it too.  Scourge of War Waterloo will be its natural successor I think, particularly using the In The Saddle orders mode.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 02:10:44 PM »

I think you can play the game this way now.
Lock your camera on your highest commander and issue all your commands from the 2D map.
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 02:16:26 PM »

I think you can play the game this way now.
Lock your camera on your highest commander and issue all your commands from the 2D map.

yes,  I tried that and it kind of works, although it's a bit fiddly for noobs like me to find the correct options. and some of the key features that i mention in the OP - Tactical map being updated dependent on reports from platoon commanders and online telephone wires, despatch riders to communicate with offline platoons etc aren't currently achievable.

It would be nice to have these additions to add real depth to the experience.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: