Graviteam
April 19, 2024, 04:25:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Traverse efficient  (Read 8280 times)
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: May 20, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »

I've always felt that tanks hull traverse in Steel Fury is far too efficient..."

I agree with you!

Re WT I'll give it a go again but after playing the Panzer IV F2 in RO2( I had great fun burning up T34/42s) I am not sure I'd be playing it a lot.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:54:32 PM by lockie » Logged
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 05:50:52 AM »

I've always felt that tanks hull traverse in Steel Fury is far too efficient..."

That is very easy to change =) I will try to change as many as i can in the future and tell lockie how to do it. I have wanted it changed for a long time already myself!

The real heroes are those that never came back.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »

I know you can increase or decrease the  speed of rotation of a turret but how can you make it more difficult to traverse?
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »

Then we've to organize vote - do we need  to decrease efficient of the hull traverse in Steel Fury:
- yes
- no
Personally, I feel myself quite OK with traverse efficient, inspite that I don't know what it does  Grin

Provocative signature removed
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 01:30:25 PM »

I vote yes!
Treetop
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 03:19:43 PM »

Definitely for some tank models.  Tanks like the IS and KV, and certainly most of the German tanks, should have a significantly decreased rate of hull traverse on soft terrain.

I'm guessing that each vehicle in the game has in it's performance model a modifiable hull traverse coefficient?  Is there a variable ground resistance coefficient for the environment parameters as well that can affect a vehicle's hull traverse?
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 06:19:10 PM »

This is a few notes i gathered when trying to translate!
Some values are very unlogical or weird but this is what a rough translation gives =)

In your tech.cfg

cpillars()

1   Name of the track in your common_res
2   Weight
3   Left lever, braking when turning left
4   Right lever, braking when turning right
5   Drive type
6   Friction
7   Maximum adherence when clutching gear
8   Traction weight
9   Step for splitting geometry
10   Coefficient modifier
11   Pivot turn speed, good setting for making bigger tanks turning slower and feel more "heavy"
12   Number of wheels, count the wheels on your model and in your tech.cfg file
13   List of wheels, check your tech.cfg
14   The path of where the tracks are attached on/by the wheels

1          2  3  4   5  6         7       8    9    10   11      12  13                                                       14
jtiger_r, 1, 1, 0,  1, 0.002,  1000, 1.0, 0.1, 1.0, 1.3,   11,  0,  1,  2,  3,   4,   5,  6,   7,  8,  9,    10,   0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2;
jtiger_l, 1, 0, 1,  1, 0.002,  1000, 1.0, 0.1, 1.0, 1.3,   11, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,   0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2;

So when i have changed the steering/traverse speed i changed value numer 11!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:21:29 PM by Donken » Logged

33lima
Oberst

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:20 PM »

Be careful here. It is NOT just a matter of 'heavier tank, slower turn'. Some tanks could turn in neutral (pivot on their tracks) but many could not. I believe a tank like a Tiger which could pivot turn, could possibly change the bearing of its hull faster (and on the same spot) than an M4 or a T-34, which apparently could not pivot turn, only 'skid turn' by braking one track to a halt. Also it's said that some tanks could not even do that, but could only turn on a certain minimum radius (Cletrac transmission?).

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38431

http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm

FWIW I find the vehicle physics in T-34 -v- Tiger to be more convincing, for example tanks can do a very sharp 'emergency stop' in SF '42, but not in the other sim.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
lockie
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »

This parameter #11 is slow down the ability tank to make a turn. Means more value -> less agility. Place "2" or even "10" Smiley

Provocative signature removed
Treetop
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:15:38 AM »

Where is the tech.cfg located?  I've no luck in seeing it.

frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 04:46:08 AM »

Open your game folder.You will see a folder called data near the top.Click it open and you'll see a folder called k42, click then loc-rus/ then levels/ then LEVELS.Once you are past the LEVELS  near the bottom you'll see the tech_cfg folder.Open it and inside all the vehicles, aircrafts and some of the guns technical files are located.Youc na open any with notepad or microsoft word.
Treetop
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 07:39:58 AM »

Open your game folder.You will see a folder called data near the top.Click it open and you'll see a folder called k42, click then loc-rus/ then levels/ then LEVELS.Once you are past the LEVELS  near the bottom you'll see the tech_cfg folder.Open it and inside all the vehicles, aircrafts and some of the guns technical files are located.Youc na open any with notepad or microsoft word.

Thanks.  Smiley
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »

Be careful here. It is NOT just a matter of 'heavier tank, slower turn'. Some tanks could turn in neutral (pivot on their tracks) but many could not. I believe a tank like a Tiger which could pivot turn, could possibly change the bearing of its hull faster (and on the same spot) than an M4 or a T-34, which apparently could not pivot turn, only 'skid turn' by braking one track to a halt. Also it's said that some tanks could not even do that, but could only turn on a certain minimum radius (Cletrac transmission?).

http://www.tank-net.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38431

http://www.gizmology.net/tracked.htm

FWIW I find the vehicle physics in T-34 -v- Tiger to be more convincing, for example tanks can do a very sharp 'emergency stop' in SF '42, but not in the other sim.

Problem is no one have found the config for it or if it even exist such a config in steel fury (i have looked throu all files for many months and havent found any). So atm all tanks pivot but none can neutral steer. I dont think neutral steer was coded at all because this games timeline doesnt include tanks that could do it when the game was released. The only thing we can do is to change the speed of it =)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 09:57:59 AM by Donken » Logged

Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:17:27 PM »

I think the Panther was the first tank able to turn in place.

Bring back 3D markers!
Donken
Generalmajor

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »

I think the Panther was the first tank able to turn in place.

Far from it =)

To complicate things there are ongoing discussions still of what does turn in place mean. Going the hard complicated way its after the war ended that tanks could do a neutral turn (turning around in a way no longer than the tanks length). In my opinion its not.
When the tracks is going at opposite directions is what a neutral turn mean for me Cheesy

To uncomplicate things no, the panther was not one of the first. Churchill was probably one of the earlier ones, same as the french tanks like the Char B1.
But one that everyone knows is the Tiger!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: