Graviteam
April 19, 2024, 05:12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: ideas for future graviteam campaigns  (Read 13642 times)
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« on: July 04, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

I would love to see a Graviteam campaign covering the Falklands war of 1982.

the reasons why I think it would make a great Graviteam campaign are as follows.

The Islands themselves are very small land masses, it may even be possible to recreate all of it.
All of the battles and skirmishes were relatively small in scale, a couple were really small and there is a ton of data available about all of the units involved.
There was a great range of vehicles, weapons and ground forces on show that are not often seen in RTS games.
it's an unusual conflict and is ripe for bringing to the PC.

Here is a list of wiki links with info about all of the battles and skirmishes, 14 in total - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Battles_of_the_Falklands_War
Here is a wiki link with info about all of the weapons used -  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_the_Falklands_War

another great feature of this war was that it was a truly unique example of a sort of mini war, a complete Air, Land and Sea campaign fought in a tiny area over a limited number of separate engagements. In my humble opinion it is a conflict that could only be done by Graviteam.

If you could see any campaign brought to this series which one would it be, and why?

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 05:12:51 PM »

Falklands is planned from 2003s, but it's far far far plans. To lot of ships and aircrafts  Roll Eyes

And FB_AGA find a lot battles of all around existing areas, 43, 42, 41, summer, winter, spring, autumn, late autumn, early spring. And "old project" Sinyavino also have huge potencial: 41 early autumn, 41 autumn, 42 summer, 43 winter, 43 spring...

Of course Angola 2.0 as Op Moduler.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:18:15 PM by andrey12345 » Logged

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
whukid
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »

What about an urban map? Like Kharkov or Kiev

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:20:46 PM »

What about an urban map? Like Kharkov or Kiev
Please immediately send a lot of money. Or is it a philosophical question unanswered?  Cheesy

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »

Well, if to skip money issue and if to broaden Shilovo map 4-5 km to the north (3-3.5 of wich are filds and forests) and about the same to the east, it is possible to have south part of Woronesh. Woronesh is the second by the degree of destruction Soviet city after Stalingrad. There were only two Soviet cities where the front line cut the city in WWII.  Very heavy battle in August - October 42 (Soviets was attacking with tanks and flamethrowers). Also fights in July when part of 24th Panzer Division was fighting for Shilovo another was fighting in the south part of the city, had crossed the river and had a fight with KV-1s of 18th Tank Corps.

As I see it is about 2 Taranovka maps by the count of buildings but it is not a village houses...

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:34:54 AM by FB_AGA » Logged
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 07:48:21 PM »

Falklands is planned from 2003s, but it's far far far plans. To lot of ships and aircrafts  Roll Eyes

And FB_AGA find a lot battles of all around existing areas, 43, 42, 41, summer, winter, spring, autumn, late autumn, early spring. And "old project" Sinyavino also have huge potencial: 41 early autumn, 41 autumn, 42 summer, 43 winter, 43 spring...

Of course Angola 2.0 as Op Moduler.

It's great that you already thought about the falklands as a potential campaign, the more I think about it the more perfect it seems for the GT style of gameplay, although you are 100% correct about the ships and planes, there was a lot of both.  Shocked

is naval warfare something you guys have tried before? would it be very difficult to get naval engagements right? You could always let the ship v ship naval stuff be off map 'background' events that could affect the campaign indirectly and use the ships for things like resupply, Airsupport from the carriers and of course amphibious landings. Be a lot of fun with Harriers providing CAS.  Grin

and of course any excuse to put those modern day Spartans the ghurkas in an RTS,   
complete with Kukri in hand  Wink

If I win the lottery I will quit my job, buy Graviteam and force you guys to make it Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:11:06 PM by wildman » Logged
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »

Falklands makes an ideal modern reasonable budget project.  Most of the island is open ground with lots of hills and low human constructs.  The towns are quite small.  All good things there.  Equipment is interesting and straight forward.  IE.. both sides are using FN-Fal sorts etc.  Not much armor used at all.  If memory serves the UK landed a few Scorpion light tanks.  And Argentina landed a few of some sort of panard armored car.   

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 06:49:20 AM »

Falklands makes an ideal modern reasonable budget project.  Most of the island is open ground with lots of hills and low human constructs.  The towns are quite small.  All good things there.  Equipment is interesting and straight forward.  IE.. both sides are using FN-Fal sorts etc.  Not much armor used at all.  If memory serves the UK landed a few Scorpion light tanks.  And Argentina landed a few of some sort of panard armored car.   
Yes, but helicopters, aircrafts and ships (in close range) is too much.

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 09:14:23 AM »

Well depends on how detailed the models would need to be right?  Not like you need the entire British flotilla do you?  Unless you want to cover the air attacks against the British landing ships.  Which would be vary VARY nice.  Uk only deployed Harrier jump jets of 2 sorts and I think a bombing run or two by long range vulcan bombers?  Might be wrong on that one.  For Argentina was pretty much all A4's in the ground attack role.   Oh and the neat little FMA IA 58 Pucará.  Which IMO just would have to be in there.  =) 

The ships is the only thing I see as a BIG challenge.  The Brit light tanks are no real problem and also used by Iran in Iran Iraq war.  So most likely could be used for other stuff.  Same for Panard armored car.  Those things have seen action everywhere in little brush fire wars. Both are simple models to make really. 

The choppers used where excessive.  Lots of sorts on both sides.   

I don't know...  something could probably work out if getting creative. 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »

Well depends on how detailed the models would need to be right?  Not like you need the entire British flotilla do you? 
Of course no, but lot of assault ships, small and big. And vary helicopters. Its more than lot Smiley
All this is approximate as Halhingol, but tanks changed to ships and helis.

Unless you want to cover the air attacks against the British landing ships.  Which would be vary VARY nice.  Uk only deployed Harrier jump jets of 2 sorts and I think a bombing run or two by long range vulcan bombers?  Might be wrong on that one.  For Argentina was pretty much all A4's in the ground attack role.   Oh and the neat little FMA IA 58 Pucará.  Which IMO just would have to be in there.  =) 
Pure aircrafts is 4 types: Harrier x2, Pukara and A-4, yes. But helis Smiley

The ships is the only thing I see as a BIG challenge. 
Yes, even small landing boat is more times biggest than tank.

The Brit light tanks are no real problem and also used by Iran in Iran Iraq war. 
Tank, Panhard and Skimmitar APC, yes, not problem compare to ships.

wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »

I think you could do this without ships. Make them off map and any key naval engagements could be handled as background events. There is no real need to even model them. As for the helicopters there were many types however those used in Ground Attack and Close Air Support roles were not so many, in fact I cant find any examples of Helicopters supporting ground forces by either side. They were used primarily for transporting men and supplies in the times between the actual fighting.

Maybe you could add them in later as a nice juicy DLC package  Wink
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »

I dont know.. Seems like including some the air attacks that happened really would need to be in there.  Pretty epic stuff.  British ships within the Falklands in the various inlets getting hammered by A4's pretty much got the worlds attention in the early 80's. 

How the heck to model that for GTOS would be vary interesting.  Since the models can only use 1 texture sheet for a vehicle.  To do some of those large landing ships like Andrey says would be quite the challenge within what the game can do.  Also the triangle count.  If a simple model could probably make it work.  Something like what say, silent hunter 5 did.  But again....pretty much limited to 1 2048 x 2048 sheet for a BIG old ship.  I guess you could make them static... or somehow attach the various sections of model somehow via code.  Interesting challenge. 

Yabba dabba do
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »

I think you could do this without ships. Make them off map and any key naval engagements could be handled as background events. There is no real need to even model them. As for the helicopters there were many types however those used in Ground Attack and Close Air Support roles were not so many, in fact I cant find any examples of Helicopters supporting ground forces by either side. They were used primarily for transporting men and supplies in the times between the actual fighting.

Maybe you could add them in later as a nice juicy DLC package  Wink
Falklands w/o helis and ships?!? Thanks but no  Grin
Such fake can be done based on GTOS, Zhalanashkol map, SADF one side, Iranians on other for example Smiley

Shadrach
Major

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »

Personally I'd like a continuation of the Angola campaign since I loved the setting and maps, or some other minor 80s conflict the third world. South America?

Anything with obscure equipment and aging Soviet tanks like Graviteam are so good at!  8)

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 03:16:53 PM »

Personally I'd like a continuation of the Angola campaign since I loved the setting and maps, or some other minor 80s conflict the third world. South America?
Chaco war, Grenada and of course Baytak-Bogdo border event Smiley

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 01:20:16 AM »

The Chaco war is interesting conflict... Just no one has ever heard of it. 

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 07:09:11 PM »

To me the Chaco War is only interesting from a historical perspective.
Can't say I'd have much fun or interest in gaming this proxy war between Royal Dutch Shell and Standard oil though.

I would probably only purchase it if the map interested me and use it for the more modern weapons during quick battles already in the game.

Chaco War(1932-5 Bolivia vs Paraguay )-Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaco_War

http://worldatwar.net/chandelle/v1/v1n3/chaco.html
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:41:53 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »

Andrey will hate me for this since I brought this up before among other ideas.  Grin
But I would still like to bring this up for future consideration anyways.

I understand I'm most likely pissing in the wind and Graviteam already has its plate full with other projects that will probably take 4 or more years to bring to market but here is my suggestion again.

A campaign based on a battle that took place during Operation Mars in the Luchessa river valley north of Belyi in Nov. 1942.
I would think most of the infantry and equipment models are already made only thing that would need attention is the map and some campaigns.

The idea is from a popular boardgame GD'42.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29383/gd-42

There are some pretty decent maps and orders of battle information here.
Though the maps are conformed to a hex grid at I think 125 meters per hex. Not the best map I can't seem to find a better map of this area and would appreciate any help in finding one, but I think this board game map conveys a decent sense of the battlefield though.
http://www.gamersarchive.net/theGamers/archive/gd42.htm

Maybe one day if I can fund it myself I will see this in the game I love more than any other WW2 game, until then I'm not going to hold my breath over it though  Cheesy Grin

A good book on the subject is Zhukovs Greatest Defeat by David M Glantz and Vol. 1 of the GrossDeutschland diaries..
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:02:36 PM by Dane49 » Logged
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 12:16:15 AM »

GD '42 is a superb wargame.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 02:41:53 AM »

The Chaco war is interesting conflict... Just no one has ever heard of it. 

As I noted elsewhere, it's better known than the Gazpacho Altercation.

Tongue

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: