Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 06:48:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shilovo Campaign Videos-Wildman  (Read 7537 times)
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: July 10, 2014, 01:49:55 AM »

Hope you don't mind Wildman, but I thought that people interested in the game may want to look at some of the Shilovo videos you posted on Youtube.  8)

Graviteam Tactics: Shilovo Campaign #1

Graviteam Tactics: Shilovo campaign #2

Graviteam Tactics: Shilovo campaign #3
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 08:41:21 PM by Dane49 » Logged
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »

as long as GT veterans don't openly mock my nooby ways I don't mind, by the way both your links are for the 2nd battle   Cheesy
Wörghern
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 01:33:04 PM »

War were won by noobies Wink Otherwise, nices vids, thx Smiley

Panzergranate Neun und Dreizig Geladen! Schuss!
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 04:08:21 PM »

as long as GT veterans don't openly mock my nooby ways I don't mind, by the way both your links are for the 2nd battle   Cheesy

LOL, We were all noobs once. Besides I've noticed a marked improvement in your gameplay with each new video and enjoy watching them.
Maybe I can put some time aside this weekend and post a few more myself.

I'll fix the other link  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:12:34 PM by Dane49 » Logged
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 09:34:06 AM »

Maybe I can put some time aside this weekend and post a few more myself.

I think you should do a Sokolovo campaign series on highest difficulty settings  Wink
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »

I'm a novice campaign player for the sole fact that I have to keep the camera well above the battlefield to manage all the units involved during the tactical phase.

This was never a major issue when there was only 1 platoon per grid square during set up with earlier versions of this game, but the campaigns now require me to play this game in Wargame:Air Land Battle mode(Drone camera).

The main thing that attracted me to this game is the graphic detail of the units, terrain and weapons systems and the fact that I can put the camera at ground level and immerse myself in the tactical battles at the squad and platoon leader level, which is why a large percentage of my time with this game is spent playing quick battles with me managing no more then reinforced platoons or understrength company units.

Except for a few areas of the Sokolovo map I've never really liked it. It needs an over haul-more trees and bushes in the north(especially in and around Sokolovo) and less trees in the south(Some of the dense forests hit your FPS pretty hard during battles). Another thing is hardly any combat during the Sokolovo campaign takes place on the lower half of the map and there isn't a German campaign(I prefer to attack during campaigns).

I was thinking of making a few instructional videos concerning the UI and the different user commands along with how to use on board and off board indirect fire assets. I'm not very familiar with editing software so it may take awhile.
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »

Sorry for the offtop.

Except for a few areas of the Sokolovo map I've never really liked it. It needs an over haul-more trees and bushes in the north(especially in and around Sokolovo) and less trees in the south(Some of the dense forests hit your FPS pretty hard during battles).

I have to disapoint you. As I know this polygon was built according to the 1985's map + devs photos. But according to the map from 1941 there were much less trees in the north part of the map. About south part, just slightly less was in 1941 than now.

Another thing is hardly any combat during the Sokolovo campaign takes place on the lower half of the map and there isn't a German campaign(I prefer to attack during campaigns).

I hope it will be fixed some day. When this operation was done there were no information about more fight; however, last year showed that it is not true. In the summer 43 more than 30 soviet tanks were burnt there by german ATG. Roughly the same could be said about the may 42. While in the february 43 about a battalion of Das Reich was encircled in that forest. Moreover, few days later a huge column of LSSAH was ambushed in that area and suffered heavy losses. And of course 6 PzD in march 43, at least 3 heavy fights in the first part of the month.

So, maybe a bright day will come some time  Grin
wildman
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 04:27:28 PM »

I was thinking of making a few instructional videos concerning the UI and the different user commands along with how to use on board and off board indirect fire assets. I'm not very familiar with editing software so it may take awhile.

that's a great idea, something like that is much needed and would be really helpful. I hunted for something similar when I first got the game but found nowt.

You could do a 'GT:OS for dummies' series covering all the FAQ noob questions  8)
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

I have to disapoint you. As I know this polygon was built according to the 1985's map + devs photos. But according to the map from 1941 there were much less trees in the north part of the map. About south part, just slightly less was in 1941 than now.

My problem with the town of Sokolovo portrayed in the game is that it looks like some of the American urban sub-divisions where the whole area is bulldozed and then the houses are added with the trees and bushes coming much later after people lived there for awhile, the town seems like it has no real character and reminds me of the fake urban town mock ups I trained in when I was in the Army.

The large town in the south of the Sokolovo map has some character but all the other towns on this map look like no one ever lived there or tended to their land, gardens or shade trees. I would think that this area had more vegetation that wouldn't be of tactical interest and probably not deemed necessary to project on the original scale map of that era but may have been there anyways, but having never been there myself I'm sure I could be wrong.

Regardless, I find the map somewhat tedious and inhospitable as compared to the other maps that have large towns on them.

As a side note- There was a debate here in the United States about what Civil War battlefields looked like in the 1860's and how much time and effort should go into cutting the lawns and cleaning up the area that made them look less authentic to that era, but historians said that the areas in question were even more devoid of vegetation and trees due to the fact of grazing animals and the local population using trees for building,  cooking and heating fuel.

This is not a political thread and I wish to keep it that way, but I suspect this winter in the Ukraine will see similar denuding of the local terrain as people fend for themselves to stay warm. I should have taken the same thing into account before I made my earlier statements about not enough vegetation, while considering that the Ukraine was the most fought over area of WW2 and had seen 3 years of constant warfare and changed hands numerous times during this period and I suspect the local population was utilizing what was immediately available.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:47:51 AM by Dane49 » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »

For anyone interested, one of the French players made some videos of the Shilovo campaign and some SABOW videos also on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFalcon00000/videos
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »

For anyone interested, one of the French players made some videos of the Shilovo campaign and some SABOW videos also on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/MrFalcon00000/videos
It's me... Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: