Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:30:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambush Tactics  (Read 9586 times)
Saint19
Major

« on: October 27, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »

Hiya Gents,

I'm wondering if there is any documentation that would better explain how to conduct an ambush in both the game, and the military way....I realize the game may be somewhat different.  But I'd like to have a better understanding of tactics.

In the game I see that thee is an AMBUSH button.  But do I just leave it checked and place my squads in appropriate places?  Do I order them to hold fire?; or does that AMBUSH button cause them to hold fire until appropriate?

Currently I'm playing HOOPER and am just getting started as UNITA.  What I find interesting is that this add-on makes me want to learn more about conflicts I'd never heard about, or that you don't hear about in "school".

Thanx for your help.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 04:57:43 PM »

Good question,

I don't use that defensive order in game much but do sometimes play QBs and have chosen ambush for the defending side. I assume that in ambush mode that it's harder to spot the defender as they set up in areas of concealment and they will only fire at enemy units that are close by, 50- 100 meters maybe.
I suspect it would help using ambush at night to keep recon units from exposing your main weapons too soon.

I've never seen any documentation explaining ambush in any great detail either.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:04:31 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Saint19
Major

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 05:26:30 PM »

I think I don't have it setup correctly.  I'll have to experiment a little.  I'm sure my guys have fired at much further out than 100m. 
Saint19
Major

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »

Here is what I found that I'm not doing...from the Tactical and Operations Manual:

"Fire arc [V]: set fire arc and distance. Any aim more than 100 m out of the sector will not be fired at. This command is good for ambushes (the units will not fire till the very last moment). Press the button to cancel. When you set an arc, vehicles
and guns move in the set direction (along the center axis of the arc). With arcs under 15 degrees, the order can be used as a "turn" command (the arc will be highlighted with red) and arc will not be set. To cancel an arc, right click the button."

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 03:23:10 AM »

The number 1 important thing to do an ambush right in Gtos is picking the right place.  If you are talking infantry a spot that is likely to have enemy forces pass threw.  But the more your forces can see, the higher the chance they will be seen.  I usually try to find low spots.  Where my guys can not see to far.  Any enemy that blunders into that is going to get messed up.  Does not matter what the orders are set too in this case.  Also means less return fire from other enemy forces in the area. 

Ambush mode makes them get low.  If infantry they will never stand up.  They stay prone or take a knee. If a vehicle they turn in and will not pop their top.  Basically they see less all around.  But its harder for them to be seen.  In ambush mode they also seem to open up all together as opposed to 1 or 2 guys at a time.  Which is good.  Backing this up with fire arcs means it is more likely they will open up in the kill zone you intend.  BUT.... if the enemy comes from an unexpected place it might actually hurt you.  Backing up with hold fire and then order open fire also increases the likely hood that they will fire in your intended kill zone.  But takes command points to order fire so you might not want to do that. 

But setting up a proper ambush should go something like....

1.  Pick a good spot that takes advantage of the land form.  Also knowing what is around and what  you are ambushing helps.  How you want to bushwack tanks is probably different than how you want to with infantry.    Dug in is better than not.

2.  back up with heavy weapons if you have them.  AT guns, machine guns and mortars.  If tanks or AFV's around it seems to work best if the infantry open the ambush.  They throw what ever they got at the vehicles.  Better still if they are modern guys with RPG's. Then open up with guns and machine guns.  This seems to give a much better chance for the heavy weapons to survive.  IF there are tanks around.  If just infantry open up with the big stuff and clean up with the infantry.  If your ambushing troops have a mortar attached remember to set a force fire deal so they dump there mortars for sure!

3.  If the enemy is in a column formation but has over whelming force you might be able to brake contact after killing the head if you have too.  This assumes you dont have things like AT guns that even out things.  With ambushing vehicles in a column formation with good cover around or its dark, there is often enough time to get out of dodge before the enemy can come to bare on you.  But this depends on where you stuck your ambush and what is around.  To give this a go.  Order cease fire, no formation and move commands....NOT attack commands.  And works best with ambush off so they run like hell.  No trying to bound and over watch stuff.  Dont even try this if they are under huge return fire.  they will just die.  But if you have 30 to 60 second lull this can work if there is a place to brake visual contact with your enemy.  I often do this to half tracks.  Works pretty well.  By the time the tanks get up there, your gone. 

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:12:18 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Saint19
Major

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 01:29:27 AM »

Wow.  So much useful information.  Thanx guys.
Lemonade
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 09:56:33 PM »

How do you guys set up your defensive positions against enemy forces in situations when your units cannot dig-in and there are no entrenchments nearby?
Buildings are scarce and you don't always have a forest near the position you want to defend.
I always find such missions extremely hard.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 10:04:10 PM »

If I don't have decent terrain to defend from in a grid then I don't defend there.
You can set up in other adjacent grids that are under your control.
Saint19
Major

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 10:37:14 PM »

Thank Dane, 

Sometimes I get stuck in "Igotta do it this way or defend this spot-itis "
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »

That "Hold Fire" command where you uncheck the bullet, is that actually more of a "Return Fire" command? I may have imagined it but I use that for ambushes and try and flick it back on again when the enemy get within about 100m but sometimes the shooting starts before that if they are spotted and it seems to me that those units involved switch the tick back on themselves (so when you select everyone it is a shaded tick that indicates only some units are affected). Or as I say, maybe I imagined it... But I can't imagine they will just sit there and get shot if they are on Hold Fire and they get spotted (?).
I have found this a reasonable approach to ambushes. Fire arcs don't always seem to work for me. When you set those by the way, are you supposed to leave it as fire at will or uncheck the bullet too?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: