Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 02:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Soldier Voices  (Read 23891 times)
hnbdgr
Major

« on: November 13, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »

Hi All,

I have a question about soldiers voices and how they react to situations. Well I know the voices aren't like those from AAA titles and so on, but that can be probably modded.. I've already installed a sound mod from vyllis (i think) and it's pretty good (though it does away with some of the environment sounds).

My gripe is with the fact that soldiers voices do not seem to react to situations, rather they are random blurbs. A unit with 90 morale will sit in a trench with no enemy in sight and suddenly you hear " We're all going to die!" german Smiley that is a bit of an immersion killer for me, so I toned the voices down to 20% volume until I found a better solution.

So my question is can these voices be modded to react to situations or is it hardcoded in the game that they will just blurb out random stuff?

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 01:20:07 PM »

Hi All,

I have a question about soldiers voices and how they react to situations. Well I know the voices aren't like those from AAA titles and so on, but that can be probably modded.. I've already installed a sound mod from vyllis (i think) and it's pretty good (though it does away with some of the environment sounds).

My gripe is with the fact that soldiers voices do not seem to react to situations, rather they are random blurbs. A unit with 90 morale will sit in a trench with no enemy in sight and suddenly you hear " We're all going to die!" german Smiley that is a bit of an immersion killer for me, so I toned the voices down to 20% volume until I found a better solution.

So my question is can these voices be modded to react to situations or is it hardcoded in the game that they will just blurb out random stuff?

All voices divided by groups: panic, attack, commander killed, enemy spoted, iddle etc
Groups played respectively to situation, but you can freely add " We're all going to die!" sound to enemy spotted group and change all things Smiley

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »

Thanks Andrey,

it seems I have some sort of bug in my game then, because they use inappropriate voices for the situation. As mentioned before, a unit which is "idle" in my opinion does scream: "Davon gehen wir nicht lebending raus" and similar things... is it possible this is a bug? I can make a recording if you like.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »

I think something from German sounds placed not in properly groups.
We dont know German language and cant check this.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »

ok no problem I'll have a look into this. is there a modding/unpacking tutorial somewhere on this forum?
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »

Right above your thread. Smiley

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »

Right above your thread. Smiley

Haha:) can't see the trees for the forest Cheesy
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »

Its a cute funny issue this one.  The German voices do not match up with what is going on around them. 

Yabba dabba do
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »

So they are mixed around! I knew it! Smiley

I understand german very well, I can put them in the right groups. I unpacked the speech flatpack but can't find any programs on the internet that would play that file...!

It ends in ".sound" but manual says it is an ".aaf". I've tried a lot of software already and no luck. Andrey can you point me to the right software? Perhaps a converter to wav or similar? (there is a wav2aaf converter described in the manual, but I need it the other way round)

many thanks
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 11:33:21 AM »

Ok Andrey I've searched high and low and can't find a way to convert those AAF files back to WAV or any other useful file. This is needed so I can check the sounds before I move them around to their correct place.

I've noticed wav2aaf calls a procedure from progpack that is only 2kb: "wav2aaf.loc_def.program". So it should be an easy thing to convert back(aaf=>wav) with a simple program, the problem is I don't have it:)

Pretty please can you release a tool for it, or point me to the right one? By now I'm pretty sure your version of .AAF files is proprietary and unique and isn't readable by any open source or commercialy available DAW (digital audio workstation)....

Waiting for your advice.

hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »

Ok I've been told:

"it’s not an AAF file that is for sure even though it has “AAF” as it’s ‘header’ ie the first 3 bytes are “AAF” On a ‘real’ AAF the “AAF” doesn’t appear until the 8th byte and has a lot of other stuff in it"

which reinforces my believe this is not an industry recognized AAF but an in-house labeled AAF...

Ultimaratio
Oberleutnant

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2014, 07:36:01 PM »

I am from Austria so my mothertongue is german. I would be willing to help if requested to fix this issue.
soundmatrix2014
Leutnant

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:20:36 AM »

Hi Ultimaratio, i managed to edit most sounds with goldwave, but also i have problems with this one Smiley hope the devs will give us a hint Smiley its sooo anoying to hear in german someone say were going to diee while there is nothing going on .. with that i want to change the audio files completely with the ones from men of war, way cooler already fixed the mauser, mg34 tank, mg34 inf, mg42.

if you want them here they are

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1u4405qtl7u4c42/shot_kar98.loc_def.sound

http://www.mediafire.com/download/izasxpuvt7028af/shot_mg34.loc_def.sound

http://www.mediafire.com/download/jcmm38dy5uwws4n/shot_mg34t.loc_def.sound

http://www.mediafire.com/download/971gwp7m22zxkw4/shot_mg42.loc_def.sound

I opened them with these settings

programm: Goldwave
file type: Raw
Atributes: PCM signed 16 bits, little endian mono
Rate hz: 48000

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:40:58 AM by soundmatrix2014 » Logged
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 11:06:31 AM »

Hey Soundmatrix! your post motivated me to do some more trial and error and lo and behold I got some results with the speech files!

First, this isn't supposed to be officially possible, because word from the devs is, the .sound (or "AAF" - note, it's not a true AAF file as the header is incorrect) files are a "terminal" format. Readable by the game but not convertible back. This would appear to be true but luckily they can be read.

I believe the speech ".sound" files use a variation of the VOX/DIALOGIC ADPCM encoding used for optimized for storing digitized voice data at a low sampling rate (according to wiki), which would make sense since it's voice. I managed to open the sound files and get playable (yet NOISY) audio in the following programs and under following settings:

AUDACITY - Import Raw -

Encoding VOX ADPCM
Byte order: Little Endian (doesn't seem to make any difference with others though)
Channels: 1 Channel (MONO)
Offset: 0 or 1
Amount to import: 100%
Sample Rate: 44100hz

Alternatively download VOX studio from here: http://www.xentec.be/download/download.html

and in there you will find several raw import options produce good results but important to note is that none of them seemed better then what I got with audacity - so unless you want go experimentin' there's not need to try VOX.

If you want too however, start with these settings:

DIALOGIC
ADPCM
Non Standard - 44100

and take it from there, anything that has PCM or ADPCM in description should be a good bet. If the sound seems off: If it's faster - you will need to decrease sampling rate and if it's slower you will need to increase  sampling rate.

The important thing is, here is a way to play these .sound files!  Even if the quality isn't as good as the originals. I can now go and change these sounds around and repack them back Smiley

hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2014, 04:59:43 PM »

Ok what I discovered is that the "panic" voices and the "safe" voices are the same. Literally there are no german "safe" voices in the game Smiley) not sure if this is something that has been overlooked, maybe the sound files are lingering somewhere on devs HDD's but they are not in the game, I'm 100% sure of that.
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »

ok I still don't have an answer to this problem.

The mod manual omits the speech category completely. It is important to distinguish between sound ans speech. Sounds - and how to convert them are covered in the manual very well and they work. But speech doesn't.

The reason for this is because according to my findings  the speech files originate from ADPCM encoded WAV's. Nowhere does it say what type of ADPCM encoding it is, neither what sample rate is used for them, though by playing the raw ".sound" files back through audacity and other programs I'd swear they ought to be 44.1 khz anyway since that's when I can hear the speech.

So simple question - what ADPCM codec is used, and what sample rate?

many thanks

badger
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 01:33:08 PM »

By golly I've done it!!!!

so after weeks of on and off trying I finally managed to import and play speech files!!!!
Why wasn't it done before? Because the mod manual lies, they all lie! Cheesy

Short and sweet you have to download the microsoft directx SDK (any version)

Under utilities there is a file called AdpcmEncode.exe. move it to a safe place. This is the only file in the entire galaxy that will encode audio into the correct ADPCM WAV format (not audacity, not audition, not goldwave, nothing else will do it)

take your source audio file and convert it to a 44khz 16 bit PCM WAV file in any program that will do it (Audacity for instance)

Then place the WAV and AdpcmEncode.exe in the same folder. Next, Do a cmd line: AdpcmEncode.exe file1.wav file2.adpcm

Then convert the file2.adpcm into ".sound" (or AAF as the manual refers to it) using starter.exe wav2aaf utility. This process is outlined in the manual and it works fine.

voila - you've got a file that's readable and playable by the game.

So much pain and anguish over a missed reference in the manual Smiley but it's all over now.
Veteran66
Hauptmann

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »

i try to open the sound file like your instructions, but it work not for me Sad

can someone send me the german Troops soundfiles in mp3 or wav?
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2015, 10:24:35 PM »

Congratulations hnbdgr.  I'm glad your persistence paid off.

Bring back 3D markers!
wiggum15
Oberleutnant

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 02:48:42 PM »

Hi !

So is there already a fix for the german voices to download ?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: