Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 10:14:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this game still being supported (other than DLC)?  (Read 3855 times)
magogian
Oberleutnant

« on: January 11, 2015, 08:57:35 PM »

New player here but long-time vet of similar games such as theatre of war, combat mission, etc.  The game seems very interesting but the explanations/instructions for the game are pretty weak and frustrating.  The manual is atrocious and obviously hasn't been updated since rather drastic revisions to the UI.  And many of the tooltips for the UI are just wrong, especially use of LMB and RBM.  I've also read most of the linked guides.

Yes, there is a "learning curve" but that seems largely a euphemism for poor/incomplete/missing explanations, i.e. it takes hours to figure out the game because much is poorly explained if at all. For example, I can't figure out why my unit icons are flashing. I can't find anything in the manual on it. I'm sure there is an explanation somewhere, but I can't find it with a moderate effort at searching.  Also, targeting priorities isn't explained (the manual explanation just seems wrong/outdated).

I bought this game at several DLCs hoping for a good experience, but I am really disappointed in the poor job the developers have done in introducing players to the game.

Nevertheless, are there recommendations on up-to-date guides? I have perused those linked at this: http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11239.0

Thanks all

Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:55:11 PM »

You're not the 1st and certainly won't be the last to complain about the lack of a comprehensive manual.
The game is what it is, and while there are some helpful videos on youtube and some other link sources here and on the Steam community, it's still a trial and error experience.

The AI isn't scripted so no need to worry about spoilers playing the same campaigns over, but there is a learning curve and you will have to learn how to play the game the same way the rest of us have.

The devs have stated countless times that English isn't their mother tongue and they don't have the money to locate someone who speaks Russian and English and has mastered the game and can write and put together a manual too.

You can ask questions here and on the Steam forum, but a comprehensive manual isn't forthcoming. Which means you will basically sink or swim of your own volition.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 11:48:34 PM by Dane49 » Logged
wodin
Generalleutnant

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 02:21:48 PM »

Actually the game is far simpler than people think it is and thus get confused. Really click on a unit and press spacebar and there you go a list of orders. The only other thing to learn is how to set out your 3 arty areas, which isn't to difficult. Once you've placed your units choose the unit that can call in arty, right click on one of the circles and then you cna move it where ever you want..you can also drag it aswell. Do that for all three for each of your units that can call in arty and your all done, you can then choose where you want it to fall if in one of the three areas you chose it will come in quickly..move the areas during game and you get time penalties. Thats it really.

The only confusing bit can be the screen showing your units and kills \medals etc//that could have been laid out better..but it doesn't really effect the game.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »

The reason that it may be far simpler than most people think is explained by Dane.  There is no manual in English that is comprehensive or up to date.  The wiki does go a long ways to compensate for that though.

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 04:49:16 PM »

Think before the quick order panel.  When it was just the modifiers.  That certainly caused confusion to new players.  But that was what?  2 years ago.  Although I prefer the modifier panel and never use the quick orders.  Although both in effect, do the same things.  The radial menu for mius should put this accessibility in the rear view mirror hopefully.  That is commonly used and is understood.  Hopefully that will allow folks to just worry about coming up with good tactics and less on mucking around with a UI.  But those earlier versions of the GTOS/APOS and the complaints from back then are still out there.  The internet never forgets.    

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: