Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:11:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel Armor returns :)  (Read 176477 times)
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 04:36:32 PM »

Good news indeed!

please add more grass to grass areas like european maps, they have many foliage. in these games, not so much, but it matters more here because we're playing at ground level.

IMO, the biggest flaw with the grass in SABOW is the draw distance - infantry cannot hide in grass because the grass disappears on long range. In GTOS it is not a problem, since it is "RTS" and not "FPS".
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 04:46:12 PM »

the biggest flaw with the grass in SABOW is the draw distance - infantry cannot hide in grass because the grass disappears on long range.

In all games, even in Crysis.
No mircales in computer graphics  Grin

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
lavish
Oberst

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 06:12:05 PM »

the biggest flaw with the grass in SABOW is the draw distance - infantry cannot hide in grass because the grass disappears on long range.

In all games, even in Crysis.
No mircales in computer graphics  Grin

Unfortunately. Grin I think this is a major problem in FPS games. Although something like "envelope grass texture" has been suggested as a solution.

How about sparser grass and longer grass draw distance for SABOW? That might help infantry to stay better hidden at long range, on flat ground.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 07:20:56 PM »

How about sparser grass and longer grass draw distance for SABOW? That might help infantry to stay better hidden at long range, on flat ground.

In GTOS/SABOW can be made to draw the grass in the far distance than other games (~800 meters).
But this feature not have any sence if you can setup low end graphics options  Grin

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:04 PM »

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 10:21:08 PM »

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 10:49:39 PM »

Speaking of grass.  Extremely expensive stuff that grass for games.  Only game I have seen try and do something for long range grass is the ARMA series.  Which is pretty much just rendering out an elevated (or sinking in of units) ground mesh.  Its better than nothing but will be some time in games before enough power is there to actually do grass at long ranges. Or voxels I guess.  That works for grass but is butt ugly close up.  Actually kind of ugly everywhere.

Yabba dabba do
Nokturnal
Hauptmann

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 11:55:20 PM »

Andrey - Just out of curiosity, how excited are you guys to have the rights to this game back where they belong?  Grin
You seem very happy to be showing off these lovely pics and I do remember the early days with the game and the very strong support we received from GT despite the issues. So it felt like it was a game you guys were proud of - Am I right in thinking GT, or you in particular, are very happy to have it back?

I only ask because when we used to (constantly) talk about the future of SABOW once the bulk of the unofficial fixes were released, it seemed like it was sort of given up on. People would talk in a 'that will never happen' type way - Only because there was so little that could be done of course, but I just wonder if that's still the case for GT?
I don't expect anyone to give me a solid answer but I can't help asking: Does SABOW have a future?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 12:28:59 AM »

Am I right in thinking GT, or you in particular, are very happy to have it back?
Yes

I only ask because when we used to (constantly) talk about the future of SABOW once the bulk of the unofficial fixes were released, it seemed like it was sort of given up on. People would talk in a 'that will never happen' type way - Only because there was so little that could be done of course, but I just wonder if that's still the case for GT?
I don't expect anyone to give me a solid answer but I can't help asking: Does SABOW have a future?
I hope, but we'll see after the re-release

Flanker15
Generalmajor

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:42 AM »

That's good  Cheesy
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 05:00:52 AM »

Speaking of grass.  Extremely expensive stuff that grass for games.  Only game I have seen try and do something for long range grass is the ARMA series.  Which is pretty much just rendering out an elevated (or sinking in of units) ground mesh.  Its better than nothing but will be some time in games before enough power is there to actually do grass at long ranges. Or voxels I guess.  That works for grass but is butt ugly close up.  Actually kind of ugly everywhere.

I would settle for ai that had the same problem spotting me as I had spotting them, no matter the level of plants.

Bring back 3D markers!
johncage
Oberst

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 05:43:38 AM »

i don't really care about grass that renders all in the distance, though it's possible. i'm talking more generally more abundant foliage. right now, it's kind of empty. even in the desert regions, i feel the grass on the ground texture doesn't match with the actual blades coming out. i don't mean tall grass, but in those grass patches, a more 3d effect.

also, do you feel the shader or normal effect on the ground always has these squares on it? will that be fixed? maybe a different shader or higher resolution normal map layer?

anyway, just some thoughts for graphical improvements. i really feel the core engine is good enough for it, and can go all the way up to the level of war thunder. possibilities are good.

also, the smoke is really resource intensive, do you feel there is a way to streamline it? i know volumetric smoke effect is good, but it's really different in this game, like super thick. can control not just density, but volume and thickness?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 11:45:00 AM »

i don't really care about grass that renders all in the distance, though it's possible. i'm talking more generally more abundant foliage.

Possible or not only confirmed by practice. In the case of the grass practice tells us that full-fledged grass ~3km not possible for performance reasons. As the complexity of rendering it increases with the square of the distance. Please show me a game where the grass is displayed on at least 2 km? Otherwise, our talk vague about some fantastic things.

right now, it's kind of empty. even in the desert regions, i feel the grass on the ground texture doesn't match with the actual blades coming out. i don't mean tall grass, but in those grass patches, a more 3d effect.
This is always the case, due to projection of grass texture maps on landscape is obviously not the same as the 3D projection for grass blades. It is generally different things and are designed for different: one is material (totally virtual), the second is object ("3d effect" as you talk).

also, do you feel the shader or normal effect on the ground always has these squares on it? will that be fixed? maybe a different shader or higher resolution normal map layer?
Please bring a screenshot what you mean, it is not clear.

anyway, just some thoughts for graphical improvements. i really feel the core engine is good enough for it, and can go all the way up to the level of war thunder. possibilities are good.
For WT level must first redraw textures at higher resolution for much more money (we will not to do this), the rest does not matter. Let me remind you that the SABOW is the game released in 2011, not in 2015.

also, the smoke is really resource intensive, do you feel there is a way to streamline it?
There is the same problem as with the grass, lots-slowly, few-quickly. Significant optimization leads to a strong decrease in quality (examples with edge squares can be seen in clouds in WT if you reduce quality).
Best solution is GPU with good fillrate. May be coming DX12 is have some ways, but they are not for SABOW of course.

i know volumetric smoke effect is good, but it's really different in this game, like super thick. can control not just density, but volume and thickness?
In our game there is not volumetric smoke.
Control for volume and thickness not have any sence  Grin.
Thickness does not affect in any way, only yes / no pixel.

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 02:02:57 AM »

Nokturnal
Hauptmann

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »

And there was rejoicing across the land!

Quote from: andrey12345
I hope, but we'll see after the re-release
Thanks for the answers andrey. Will be looking forward to the re release and I'll be pushing it on to as many people as I can!
johncage
Oberst

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 08:13:57 PM »

the squares on the ground from light reflection:

also, poppy plants a little too big?
http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/games/pc/steel-armor--blaze-of-war/steel-armor--blaze-of-war_004.jpg
Nokturnal
Hauptmann

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »

Can't comment on the ground textures, but the poppy plants seem accurate.
Of course it depends where you look...What regions etc..
A lot of the photos from Soviet-Afghan war seem focused on where the battles took place so I couldn't find any shots of the poppy fields from that era (though I am sure they exist somewhere).
However from recent years here are a few.

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2015, 12:06:19 AM »

Military plants simulator  Grin

P.S switch grass option to ultra and you get smaller and density plants on big distances Smiley
P.P.S About squares on ground
click on image to explore

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:21 AM »

And now really good news  Grin

SABOW will support Ultra Wide monitors, I know you want this feature  Cheesy

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: