Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 02:14:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CTD on Mission Start, Then Failure to Launch Completely  (Read 21508 times)
SeriousCat
Oberleutnant

« on: February 26, 2015, 05:53:46 AM »

Bug 1: CTD on mission start, then failure to launch

When I try to start a mission, there is a CTD without any error message.

I have the following mods enabled in the following order in JSGME:

1. Unofficial Patch v0.1
2. Steel Sound Mod v1.0
3. Steel Tank Add-on v1.0
4. Game Mission Pack v1.4
5. Game Mission Pack v2.2
6. Game Mission Pack v3.2
7. Weather Scorching Summer v1.1
8. Steel Tank Add-on January 2015 Update
9. Compass Mod v0.2

However, when I disable all mods the game still CTD on mission start. I restart the computer and now I can't launch the game using "starter.exe" or even launch the Mission Editor. When I try to launch "shell.exe" directly, it returns the following error message:

D:\Steel Fury\bin\rel\shell.exe
Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

So I tried editing the compatibility settings for both "starter.exe" and "shell.exe" to always "Run this program as an administrator", but they still don't launch.

Bug 2: Error message obscures game settings

Within the game, there is a bug where an error message at the following location that is so large it actually places itself over the setting sliders:

Main Menu > Game Options > Main Settings

The error message is as follows:

Troubleshooting

Video card memory size is less than 128 MB. The game is not likely to perform properly, image artifacts may appear. It is recommended to adjust the video card with bigger memory size!
Your system does not meet the minimal requirements. The game is not likely to perform at all, or its performance will be slow! It is necessary to upgrade the computer.

However, my computer far exceeds the game's system requirements. My specifications are as follows:

CPU: i7 2600K 3.4GHz Quad Core
RAM: Strontium 16GB DDR3 RAM
GPU: GeForce GTX 690 4GB

I've tried changing the game resolution to 1920x1080 (60 Hz), but it doesn't affect the game menu.

What are the sliders behind the error message?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 06:00:21 AM by SeriousCat » Logged
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

Hi,

I think you might need to reinstall the game. I assume it was working before, hence the screen shots?

The settings hiding behind the error message are

- 'Quality' - from the slide position, it's set to User-defined.
- 'Display frame rates' - seems to be off.

There's a discussion in another thread about editing the config file to change resolution.

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:14:29 PM »

Hi,

Please check this FAQ. A problem similiar to yours is addressed there:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t30-faq-steel-fury

And why don't you follow just the recommended installation order for Steel Tank Addon? You can see it here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury

"Unofficial Patch v0.1" and "Compass Mod v0.2" are already included in the "Steel Tank Addon" mod and therefore you should not install them.

Txema
SeriousCat
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 04:51:26 AM »

The FAQ lists the fix for the "videocard has less than 128 Mb RAM" problem as installing in a folder other than Program Files on C: or installing on another drive. In my original post I explained my game installation folder is "D:\Steel Fury", so it's not in "C:\Program Files", "C:\Program Files (x86)", and is already on a another drive.

I'll try to change the config files and see what happens.

And why don't you follow just the recommended installation order for Steel Tank Addon? You can see it here:

http://stasf2008.ephpbb.com/t6-steel-tank-add-on-steel-fury

If you read my install order, you'll see it's identical. That's how I knew which order to install it—I read the first FAQ. The game automatically came with both mods enabled in JSGME, either through the game installation or through later patches. I'll disable them and see if if that works.
SeriousCat
Oberleutnant

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »

Even with a fresh install, with mods or no mods enabled, with config.engcfg edited or unedited, the game no longer runs.

I paid $10 for a game that doesn't work.  Cry
Txema
Generalmajor

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:55 PM »

You could try installing DirectX 9.0c

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

It is necessary for the game to work.

Txema
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:45:40 AM »

There are 2 distinct issues here:

1) The game does not properly read Nvidia gpus. I have that problem with 2 of my laptops equipped with Nvidia gpus but my desktop equipped with ATI the game reads the VRAM on your graphic card  correctly. I have read about that problem from Nvidia gpu users exclusively for the past 5 years. The good news is don't worry your pc knows what VRAM you have so despite this ominous message you can still play the game at very high settings since your gpu is very powerful. I think the problem has to do with Nvidia 's shaders architecture . Still the game can be played at the highest settings if your card has the power. You can still use Nvidia inspector to play with the AA settings.

2) The game won't start. SF is a very stable game and with very few bugs. So if you can't start the game it's either because your download is corrupt and you installed something incorrectly. I don't think it's a Direct ( X issue because you would have an error message. BTW I have the game on Vista Win 7 and Win 8.1 so the OS is not a problem.

In order to find out what went wrong here';s what I would do:

1) Listen to Txema 's suggestions and removed both unofficial patch and compass mod( which should never be enabled last by the way)

2) disenable all the mods and the re-enable them one at a tiome and test each and every one.
So for example just re-enable the Steel Sound Mod and STA 1.0 ( Steel Tank Add on)and test with the stock missions. If your game won't start then tell us what error message do you get.

If it works then try enabling the mission packs one at the time and test each.

Once you've isolated the "strain" we can administer the cure.
SeriousCat
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 01:18:46 AM »

You could try installing DirectX 9.0c

I already have DirectX 9.0c from other games.

In order to find out what went wrong here's what I would do:

1) Listen to Txema 's suggestions and removed both unofficial patch and compass mod( which should never be enabled last by the way)

2) disenable all the mods and the re-enable them one at a tiome and test each and every one.

Even with a fresh install, with mods or no mods enabled, with config.engcfg edited or unedited, the game no longer runs.

I mentioned before that I tried disabling all mods, but the game still doesn't launch.
Kyth
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 02:15:14 AM »

Have you considered using the 4GB patch? It is one of the things mentioned in the FAQs:

Q. Sometimes I have code 006 shader error while loading or no error at all on some missions with certain mods or high graphics settings. How to get rid off this error?
A. Game is using more than its 2GB memory address, modern high res displays combined with a lot of extra content added in the mods can use more than 2Gb.
Solution:  Allow the games exe to be large address aware which gives it 2GB of virtual memory on top of its 2GB address.  Requires a 64bit OS and more than 3GB physical memory and the systems swap space not disabled.
Turn off compatibility mode on Shell.exe and Starter.exe (this is just a precaution, you can try turning it back on after but I needed to leave it off). Download this program  http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php (or any large address aware patcher). Run the program on Shell.exe and Starter.exe

"What am I, chopped liver..?"

"Yes."
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 03:30:00 AM »

Kyth, he's got a powerful system with a very strong cpu and lots of RAM.I think then that what I suggested is that his installation is corrupt. In my opinion he should try re-installing the game and putting it in the same partition. Also when re-installing the game disable your anti virus. If often causes  problems when installing games.

1)Can we have a snapshot of your game folder?

2) Where did you get the game? Disc or digital download?
SeriousCat
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:50:48 AM »

Have you considered using the 4GB patch?

I've tried the 4GB Patch through three separate installations: (1) Patch on "starter.exe" only; (2) Patch on "shell.exe" only; and (3) Patch on both "starter.exe" and "shell.exe". Unfortunately it didn't help.

1)Can we have a snapshot of your game folder?

Do you mean the installation file directory? The game is installed in a separate 2TB HDD with a single partition, at the directory "D:\Steel Fury".

2) Where did you get the game? Disc or digital download?

I bought the SFI Armored Combat Bundle from Storm Eagle Studios. Their games are delivered via a distribution platform client called Stormpowered.
frinik
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »

My suspicion is still that your installation is corrupt, missing some files. Have you tried re-installing the game?  How big is the download from Storm Eagle?
MistaMeowmas
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »

Hey, just wanted to bump this to see if anyone else is having the same issue. I've got a not as strong build, but it still manages playing ArmA 3 and other heavy games at decent settings, so I KNOW my PC can run this game, but for some reason it won't launch, it just crashes. Funny thing is, it worked last night no problem, could access the menu and probably even get in game, but it's giving me the dumb 'you don't have enough memory'. I'm honestly surprised there isn't a fix for it yet, but I guess it isn't as popular a game as some. Which sucks, too because I was REALLY looking forward to running over some Huns in my T34. Sad Any fixes guys?

PS: I should mention, I can actually run the game, if I set the launchers language to Russian. I was able to do a little bit of the driver tutorial, then went back to the menu to see if I could change something, and the game then crashed with no message whatsoever. Anyways, I don't know what really is going on, I just know that I'm having the issue of the 'memory', I managed to fix the game messages being off screen, but I'm still having the occasional issue. My OS is installed on a completely separate SSD so that can't be causing it, I can re-install the game but I don't actually think thats the issue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:38:42 PM by MistaMeowmas » Logged
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 07:53:00 PM »

Hi, unfortunately this game isn't supported anymore. Try reinstalling it.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
MistaMeowmas
Oberleutnant

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 08:29:14 PM »

Hi, unfortunately this game isn't supported anymore. Try reinstalling it.

Darn, really? Well I actually got the game working, but now the Matilda in the training missions aren't coming loaded with shells, odd...
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »

Maybe it's because of mods. I remember one of the old mods broke Matilda's shells (was fixed later, but anyway). Or maybe some files got corrupted.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
MistaMeowmas
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:51:46 PM »

It's possible! I'm using STA and stuff, but one of the mission mod packs might have messed it up. I'll reinstall it later, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: