Graviteam
April 23, 2024, 12:38:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone got any useful reference lists of important stuff?  (Read 4221 times)
DDTank
Hauptmann

« on: March 24, 2015, 04:49:05 PM »

For example, you select a unit and right click to bring up the actions window (which is another way of using the orders tool bars...sort of...):
What's the difference between Fast Move and March? It seems Fast Move is just that, in a straight line whereas March is move quickly using roads and paths, correct?
What's the difference between Assault and Attack? It seems Assault involves the attack formations using numbers of lines / how spread out / tanks in front etc (that in itself doesn't always seem to work) and once they have sorted themselves out they seem to take their time getting to their target. Not quite sure what Attack causes; is it faster and more direct maybe?
What is the Defend command for? Yes, I know it sounds obvious but I have seen units lying on top of each other in a nice pile using this command, a lucky artillery hit would take out the entire lot!
With Recon they seem to spread out in a line but what do they do if they encounter something, engage?
Hunt...?
Can't remember the other commands (I do not have the game open at the moment, this is lunchtime at work) but you know what I mean.

Also, on the grid map with icons (can't remember which one this is called, it's the one accessed at the top right during the battle screen), all sorts of things flash on and off which I assume are something to do with coms or awareness e.g. eye icons and little triangular line icons on the actual unit icon (do they represent transmissions or something)? White, yellow, blue...what are all these things?
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 12:33:11 AM »

For example, you select a unit and right click to bring up the actions window (which is another way of using the orders tool bars...sort of...):
What's the difference between Fast Move and March? It seems Fast Move is just that, in a straight line whereas March is move quickly using roads and paths, correct?
What's the difference between Assault and Attack? It seems Assault involves the attack formations using numbers of lines / how spread out / tanks in front etc (that in itself doesn't always seem to work) and once they have sorted themselves out they seem to take their time getting to their target. Not quite sure what Attack causes; is it faster and more direct maybe?
What is the Defend command for? Yes, I know it sounds obvious but I have seen units lying on top of each other in a nice pile using this command, a lucky artillery hit would take out the entire lot!
With Recon they seem to spread out in a line but what do they do if they encounter something, engage?
Hunt...?
Can't remember the other commands (I do not have the game open at the moment, this is lunchtime at work) but you know what I mean.

Also, on the grid map with icons (can't remember which one this is called, it's the one accessed at the top right during the battle screen), all sorts of things flash on and off which I assume are something to do with coms or awareness e.g. eye icons and little triangular line icons on the actual unit icon (do they represent transmissions or something)? White, yellow, blue...what are all these things?

The quick orders are pretty generic, basically a one size fits all and will do for learning the game. But for more advanced players who want more control you should use the modified orders approach.

As you've probably noticed the troops will stay pretty well together- asshole to elbows like a buncha noobs on a boy scout camping trip. Not very tactical!
For command and control where you don't expect the enemy that's fine, once you get near the enemy though you want to start opening up the formations. You have a modifier button that gives you 3 options. Bunched, semi-open and open. You also have modifiers that will put them on line, column or fire team tactical wedge/inverted Vs.( Point team and the rest of the squad following in a somewhat V formation).

If you've been playing for awhile you want to start using these modifiers and try some quick battles where you take a platoon on a combat scouting mission and start experimenting with these buttons. Once you get use to it it's fairly simple.
Left click squad, left click formation type, left click formation spread and/or left click road or non-road movement and right click where you want them to go.
The main thing about this exercise is to observe how the modifiers interact. This game is deep and there are no simple answers. It's trial and error, consider it self administered boot camp before you're ready for prime time. I can go into more detail later, but right now i have an alcohol buzz. Just remember, this game is about tactics it's not a math formula.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:35:10 AM by Dane49 » Logged
Fracchione
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »

The alert signals show enemy contact(red) or sector control(green).
The comm icons deserve a detailed lecture,which I am not able to do; for now I can say for sure :

1) white antenna-radio comm
2) orange eye-lack of comm
3) blue waves-comm between units
4) yellow waves-comm between squads
5) white dots-signals or voice

Just experiment moving units at different distance from the leader, it will show various degree of comm quality
and its changes.

If some of the above isnt correct,please tell me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: