Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 09:52:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My old campiagn for sabow... operation safari seems to work with new sabow.  (Read 10660 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« on: March 26, 2015, 07:27:48 PM »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qmab26n4du8mbk8/Operation_safari_V1.5_ENG.zip

If your interested.  But may crash or explode for all I know.  Also requires you manually dump the folder in campaigns.  Yes... I made this THAT long ago.  Right now taking it for a spin in remastered sabow to see if it works and remember what I made back then. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »

Probably going to end up redoing this mission at some point.  Force structure with so many off screen arty and air spotters is crazy.  And was designed with friendly infantry having rpg 7's.  Which are removed now.  Well except squads attached to bmp and btr60.  They do have them.  Also i thing this was made before you got a penalty for player controlling allies.  In short... it needs to be reworked.   

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »

What penalty do you get for controlling allies?

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:07 PM »

Experience drops to like 20.  Its like that in GTOS as well.  Your guys are way less effective and die fast.  mission was not intended for player to get crap supporting forces.  You only get at most 3 tanks. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 10:31:36 PM »

Lucky day!  Still have all the source files for this guy.  Although no big deal if I did not. 

So I think I can improve this old thing in a hurry.  And in the mood this afternoon to give it a go. 

I want to keep the gist of the old girl.  Want to improve in following ways.  A.  drop a ton of the arty and air spotters.  (what the hell was I thinking!)  Replace with on screen mortars. B. Drop the Cuban bit.  All 3rd world party in the jungle.  To do this will mean making a small mod.  LOL...minimod 2.  Add in some custom units and add in the rifle grenades and stuff I have lying around.  Oh and give RPG-7's to squads where appropriate + increase RKG-3 numbers.  Half tempted to rip off the SKS and RPG-2 from GTOS dlc.  Add in gaz-66 with zu-23, give t62 to Angola for a playable vehicle (no choice really on this).  Basically what old mini mod did for Unita and Angola for now.  Not ready to tackle Iran side yet.  If all goes well, maybe a better op safari 1.1.  =)  As well as maybe old dystopia mission. 

But I want to keep the elements of only a hand full of player tanks.  And give all forces on map control by player.  But also don't have a ton of time.  So can't do anything to crazy.  But a good place to start for bring in older stuff I did I should think into remastered sabow.

Thoughts? Interest?     

Yabba dabba do
smithcorp
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 05:54:15 AM »

You're the hardest working man in rock n roll. Would love to  give a modified version a play.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 10:27:18 AM »

A little side project like this considering its not to much time is good.  I get sick of working on the jeep and can do this if in make crap mood.

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2015, 08:22:13 PM »

Working on old stuff right now.  Just got the rifle smoke grenades working..

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416288263

Its part of the OLD mini mod and Isabow.  Any infantry that has a suitable weapon (g3, fn-fal, R1a1) and has smoke rounds will fire if nothing better is available.  Giving to small numbers of troops  where makes sense.  As we don't want what is going on here, 7 smoke nades fired at once.   Grin  These are special force trained testing troops.   Tongue

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »

Cool effect.  The language on that link is German right?

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 11:52:31 PM »

Cool effect.  The language on that link is German right?

hmmm it should not be.  Or its steam being steam. 

and nearly have the old minimod remade, plus its going to get more stuff.  Alas, RGD-2 hand thrown smoke grenade appears to be totally broken.  Has been for quite awhile.  Something in the old beta sabow patch, and also in GTOS broke it.  No idea what.  Its not a big deal, since the ai infantry has NO clue how to use smoke.  But was sort of neat when armor got to close to infantry and they threw smoke grenades at tanks.   Tongue

Rebuilding OLD minimod for remastered sabow today.

Rifle grenades...  Energa and smoke Rn40L

Angolan playable t62.  No its not exactly realistic.

Rifle grenades making smoke.

Rifle grenades making way to much smoke

Unita playable t62... For old dystopia mission 

Just found out that many of the GTOS DLC assets are IN remastered sabow.  Like the type 56 (sks) rifle.  Cheesy  And probably why I can not find my G3a3 in remastered sabow files.  Was looking in wrong place.

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:28:01 PM »

Small potato thing.  Gave gaz 66 with zu-23-2 to Angola.  Arn't I nice?  

The next best thing to a tow-able zu-23 when their might be gun ships about...

Still some dumb bugs in the new minimod.  But far enough along to make operation safari 2.0 now.   Tongue
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:29:41 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »

Rifle grenades...  Energa and smoke Rn40L

Take the blindfolds off the infantry.  It's not fair.

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:06 AM »

ya, something changed with the default head types between 2012 and now.  THat was plugging in old values and that is what I got.  I did fix that...

Yabba dabba do
Nokturnal
Hauptmann

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 04:20:52 PM »

Thoughts? Interest?     

Definitely interested! Anything that prolongs this game's lifespan is welcome!
Asid
Hauptmann

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »

Great work Flashburn.

Thanks

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 12:58:39 AM »

Not done yet.  The mod part is, I think.  Testing the past few days and seems fine.  The campaign I need to do.  Taking longer than I thought do to being picky.  IE, not liking some of the things i did in this mission.  So trying to come up with something a bit better.  I hope. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 04:35:13 AM »

OK, play tested the basic changes this little mod thing does in the default Angola map.  And found an opps.  Only 1 time did infantry get close enough to my tanks to actually use the rifle grenades.  And they used smoke at that.  More importantly, did a total shut out on that default Angola campaign.  3 turns was all it took.  Plus a 4th to seal the deal. 

Was using no limit battle radius + user controls AI. 

My conclusions to this with the current limits of map sizes?  A somewhat skilled player can totally wreck the game by smart moves and using mass and economy of force. Ok, just like reality I guess.  Considering my mod should have HELPED the Unita side, well it only barely did.  If that.  But the big conclusion?  I am thinking about only making 1 active platoon.  Beefed up of course.  With supports of supply and repair.  Probably just merge those two into 1 platoon.  I really am walking away going alot of tank platoons on both sides, fighting in these shoe box sized maps is not working well.  Maybe limiting to 1 main platoon against a mixed bag of stuff fighting all over the map with a somewhat large reserve pool might be more rewarding.  That was the idea of Safari way back.  but this remastered sabow is actually running ALOT better than it did 3 years back.  So including more tanks and all that is vary appealing.  But for me, its not working!  Short 5 minute battles keep happening to me when I have 9 12 tanks. 

Right this moment I wishing for some some hardened targets, aka bunkers and pill boxes.  And clearing a decent sized village with combined arms sure would be nice.

But we really DO need bigger maps to maneuver and engage with some sort of fire and maneuver like reality. 

So I think I am going to try and build this safari 2.0 with aiming at setting settings of unlimited battle size, with limited movement nodes.  And pretty much force the player to have to attack from only 1 or 2 squares with combat units.  That way, the player sometimes will have 7 or 8 squares that MAY have enemies in them, and need to be cleared.  With wiped out squads getting swapped out from the reserve pool on the close of the turn/conscript platoon.   In short, way more game like.  with less sim I suppose to an extent.  The down side is that if your "combat" platoon is wasted its sort of game over.  Only way to "go back" is hit restart mission while IN the mission.  you exit out your pretty much done. 

Think this is going to be pretty "experimental".  Alot more so than than the last time. 

Well that is what I am thinking at any rate.  How to get the biggest bang out of what we have here.  The tanks are great.  Perhaps a little TOO great for how things are done in sabow. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »

Working on safari 2.0 now.  Finally.  A few more small units I forgot to add to the minimod 2.0 to add in.  Little things for this mission I did not think of basically. 

Its going to be a really experimental mission/campaign.  Not like default campaigns at all.  Hope it works out.

I hope ready to roll by next weekend.  Beta's I may do sooner. 

Yabba dabba do
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: