Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:39:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to the game - A whole bunch of questions  (Read 10264 times)
ru_disa
Oberleutnant

« on: April 14, 2015, 02:00:41 PM »

Hi all,
I started playing GT:OS recently. Simulations and wargames are my favorite hobby and I have to say that I'm really impressed by what I've seen in GT:OS so far. I have a few questions:

1) First of all, is this game still being actively supported? Is it being patched? Are there new DLCs or sequels planned?

2) I have the non-steam version of the game; I got it from an IndieGameStand bundle (the game is titled Achtung Panzer: Operation Star - I assume it's the old Strategy First version). I've downloaded the update files "Core Update v581c1 (May 20, 2013)" and "Patch December 2014 (December 30, 2014)" and I've updated the game. When I try to apply the patch "Polygons Update March 2013" I get an error message. What can I do? What does that file do?

3) What DLCs would you recommend I get first?

4) I see that a new version of SABOW recently came out on Steam. Would you recommend this game over Steel Fury: Kharkov 42? Is SABOW compatible with GT:OS or is it its own separate game?

Thanks to everyone who'll take the time to reply! I appreciate it.

Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:42 PM »

Hi ru_disa,

I can answer a few of your questions.
The game is still being supported and you can check this site for the latest patches.
A new game called Mius Front 43 is planned for the near future and will be a stand alone game with a new engine and interface with its own set of DLCs and very simular to GTOS.

I don't think you need the polygon updates anymore since the all the old maps for GTOS being sold now have been updated.

As far as what DLCs you should get next depends on what your interested in.
Sokolovo and Krasnaya Polyana are 2 winter DLCs that round out the Operation Star campaigns around Kharkov during early 1943.
Volokonovka and Shilovo are 2 summer campaigns that take place in 1942.
Plus there are 3 Semi modern campaigns. Angola 1988, Afghanistan 1979 and Chinese/Russian border 1969.
Shield of the Prophet-1979, Zhalanashkol-1969 and Operation Hooper-1988.
These DLCs are all compatible with the latest patch for GTOS.

SABOW is a tank simulator and its own game and is not compatible with GTOS, though some of the DLC content from SABOW is now present with the modern DLC additions to GTOS.

SABOW is a semi modern tank simulator and Steel fury is a WW2 tank simulator.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:29:37 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Asid
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:56:55 PM »

4) I see that a new version of SABOW recently came out on Steam. Would you recommend this game over Steel Fury: Kharkov 42? Is SABOW compatible with GT:OS or is it its own separate game?

I have SABOW as well as SFK42. SFK42 is an excellent WW2 tank sim. The Steel Tanks Addon makes it even better.

I have a post here with some links etc including the demo: http://dogsofwarvu.com/forum/index.php/topic,338.0.html

Regards

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying
ru_disa
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the info guys!
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:04:55 AM »

A new game called Mius Front 43 is planned for the near future and will be a stand alone game with a new engine and interface with its own set of DLCs and very simular to GTOS.

As far as what DLCs you should get next depends on what your interested in.
Volokonovka and Shilovo are 2 summer campaigns that take place in 1942.
Plus there are 3 Semi modern campaigns. Angola 1988, Afghanistan 1979 and Chinese/Russian border 1969.
Shield of the Prophet-1979, Zhalanashkol-1969 and Operation Hooper-1988.
These DLCs are all compatible with the latest patch for GTOS.
I would like to know if these DLCs will be playable in Mius. I like to play in Shilovo, I would like Shilovo in SABOW.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 03:33:41 PM »

I would like to know if these DLCs will be playable in Mius. I like to play in Shilovo, I would like Shilovo in SABOW.

Mius Front will be an improved version of GTOS. SABOW is a tank sim.

Andrey said SABOW wasn't very popular or profitable. So I'm not sure if they have any plans to add anything new to it, other than addressing current bugs.

Mius Front will have its own set of new DLC and I think a summer campaign for Taranovka 1942 is planned for it.
I wouldn't doubt that some things may be ported over from GTOS to Mius Front in the future though to generate some extra cash.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:36:04 PM by Dane49 » Logged
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 03:47:11 PM »

I would like Shilovo in SABOW.
SABOW is a tank sim.
Andrey said SABOW wasn't very popular or profitable. So I'm not sure if they have any plans to add anything new to it, other than addressing current bugs.
You are pessimistic. I don't know if it takes a long time to create a DLC with the map Shilovo for SABOW. I don't know if the maps are compatible between the 2 games. But if Graviteam offers the map Shilovo for Sabow, I think some customers will buy it (I bought Shilovo 5 $ I think). I think I am not alone to want an european map in SABOW (I don't play the campaigns).
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 07:20:41 PM »

You are pessimistic.

Yes,very.

I've been waiting for over a year for Mius Front.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »

Sabow will most likely be getting a ww2 DLC.   Lips Sealed 

Yabba dabba do
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:57:42 AM »

Sabow will most likely be getting a ww2 DLC.   Lips Sealed 
If this is true, I will be happy. Because we will can use T-62 / M60 on the WWII european maps Grin I hope a summer map and a winter map. And we will can try to fight some platoons of Tiger I with some T-54/55 Grin
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 04:35:49 PM »

I have SABOW as well as SFK42. SFK42 is an excellent WW2 tank sim. The Steel Tanks Addon makes it even better.

I haven't played SFK42 for years but will re-buy it soon. I think of it like a "FPS" version of OS - it's like being in one of the tanks in the game. What is this addon and where do I get it?
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »

I'd tell you here but I'd be accused of advertising.  Check pm.

Bring back 3D markers!
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 02:35:22 PM »

I haven't played SFK42 for years but will re-buy it soon. I think of it like a "FPS" version of OS - it's like being in one of the tanks in the game. What is this addon and where do I get it?
Steel Tank Addon

Tanker, what's this? Another conspiracy theory about forbidden links? While it's ontopic and in answer to a direct question, of course it's allowed. Advertising would be posting links everywhere just for the sake of it.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 08:55:05 PM »

That's good to know Krabb.  I seem to remember you removing links and complaining about advertising in just such a case when that link was posted in direct response to a question.  I can't be bothered to look it up but it sure didn't seem to fit the description of "posting links everywhere."

Bring back 3D markers!
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 09:03:41 PM »

I'm sure you remember that direct response perfectly and even could quote it. But this is not the place to talky-talky about this.

If it's not clear for someone, this was the last warning to avoid offtop (and it will be removed without notice). My Mauser is at ready.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:47:33 PM by Krabb » Logged

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
33lima
Oberst

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

4) I see that a new version of SABOW recently came out on Steam. Would you recommend this game over Steel Fury: Kharkov 42?

I would recommend owning and playing both, they are complimentary products. SF-K42 is WW2, modded has a fantastic set of tanks and missions, and is easier to master (simpler tanks, no wargame element to learn). SABOW features two tanks modelled in much greater detail and its wargame element, tho that (and the more complex tanks) takes more time to learn, provides it with an excellent campaign system that SF lacks (just single missions or sets). In some respects it seems to me SABOW is the more sophisticated tanksim. I would say that both SABOW and SFK42 are absolute must haves, for any serious tanksimmer. All the more so for SABOW, because of Graviteam's recent relaunch and updates and SFK42, because of the mods.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"
But it's "Saviour of his country!" when the guns begin to shoot!
'Tommy', Rudyard Kipling, 1892
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: