Graviteam
April 19, 2024, 07:11:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple orders are still questionable  (Read 4231 times)
Ezra
« on: May 11, 2015, 09:54:40 PM »

I addressed this kindly in another thread. Respectfully, Andrey`s ambiguous answer was: (unquote) "This is logical path of A.I.,etc due to ground anomaly"  

Come on! The ground was unobstructed!

Listen to the situation I am trying to address: I give a Ratal 90 a simple (covert move) order 100 meters in clear terrain straight ahead on clear level ground. The plan is to stay behind cover from a T-55 in a linear fashion. But no, the driver (A.I.) decides to do a big 360 degree circle exposing himself into the arc of fire from the T-55 because the wheels look jammed. Following this, the Ratal does a wide "wavy" curve to the destination and gets picked off by the T-55 as the Ratal 90 continued to do everything I told it not to do! Talk about rebellious A.I. A blatant disregard to a simple order. Somehow the behaviour can be rationalized by "logical path of A.I.?" Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

Sorry Andre, I can`t accept your answer on this one. I can repeat this "goofy" behaviour in "Hooper" consistently. I can see if it is a long path with debris or potholes but clearly the ground appears flat and unobstructed. All I wanted to do was move forward on clear terrain and the A.I. can`t handle the simple instruction. I could understand if the A.I. was an alcoholic, but come on!

Ezra
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 09:57:22 PM by Ezra » Logged
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 01:23:44 PM »

a simple (covert move) order 100 meters
simple not equal covert move

If you order "simple" move they do simple move, if you do covert move on 100 meters and landscape does not have a shelter on this 100 meters (almost always be so) - your troops will do something strange.
You order strange - you get weird.

Do not let the orders "at the 100 meters" in 99% of cases it is meaningless.
Let's 500 meters and it is better for 1500  Grin.

Do not micromanage, not for this game. If you do it often the game will annoy you and you annoy game too Grin.

P.S. As I said before for the heavy wheeled vehicles with a narrow base, there are some difficulties with movement on rough terrain - drive on the roads.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Ezra
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 10:33:30 PM »

Let me re-phrase. It was a simple move. Move from point "A" to point "B."  Roll Eyes All I wanted to do was move straight ahead for approx. 100 meters in obvious clear terrain to arrive behind a stand of (cover) trees. Sounds simple enough in clear terrain. Shocked

Where is the order for (simple move) if it isn`t "covert move?" The reason I used "covert move" was because it seems that the short move command would not expose itself at such a wide margin of error that is clearly and grossly irrational and clearly not "covert." It seems to work in many cases with infantry predominantly, regardless of terrain, but I am only concerned with a simple move order for a vehicle regardless of the move choice. I am not interested in rolling a proverbial dice. I just want to move behind cover, not have it deviate an extra 100 metres (while blatantly exposing itself) in order to accomplish the simple task. Move fast does the same thing. I don`t use march because then the vehicle would probably drive to some random road 100 metres away and then turn back defeating the whole purpose of the simple order.

Your explanation still does not answer the erratic behaviour displayed by the vehicle (Ratal 90) for no obvious reason. I can repeat the behaviour over and over again (on Hooper Map). How come the German half-tracks don`t act this way in the snow? They don`t drive in circles under the same circumstances in my observation especially when there is no visible obstructions and the order is straight forward. In light of this, how does one achieve confidence that the vehicle will do what it is supposed to do according to the simplicity of the order in this specific case? Move from here to there on plain level ground in a straight line under cover and stop at tree line? I am not talking about a lengthy move, I am referring to a small reposition without turning. The A.I. fails to execute this order and decides to dance around and do circles. Something is clearly wrong.

I thought that there was a penalty for "micro manage" in the orders delay (at least you would think) but apparently it isn`t so according to your definition of "micro-manage." A platoon is not micro-manage but a single vehicle is if it is under 100 meters?

You said, "Do not micro manage." Micro manage is the only option when you are down to a decimated  broken platoon. Wink
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:01:38 PM by Ezra » Logged
Ezra
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 06:39:13 PM »

After reading the credits (the title in which I imagine only a few read) it says. "A battalion-level tactical simulation." This still doesn`t answer my question, although the title would suggest that "micro-manage" below battalion level is folly, or at your own risk. Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: