Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 09:57:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transfer units under ai commander control  (Read 6093 times)
Bipman
Hauptmann

« on: May 13, 2015, 06:49:46 PM »

Hi

What does the 'Transfer units under ai commander control' button do exactly ?  I've looked in the manuals and online and can't find anything.  I presume you tick it to allow ai control and untick it for manual control ?

Bipman
Ezra
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 07:26:50 PM »

I am terrible when it comes to reading manuals. Maybe I can help a little.

From experience I have learned that "transfer units under AI control" affect the behaviour of specific units. e.g. If you want mortar units to respond to "fire on area" command which is only available to company leaders, the AI button must be selected (highlighted) for the mortar group in order to bring a barrage on target (but not the leader in this specific case). However, if the company leader is highlighted as well as the mortar platoon, the whole company can act on their own initiative without your input (sometimes preferable) bringing down harassing fire on enemy movements and attacks. Sometimes this takes a certain time period to commence and bit of fiddling about to accomplish. You will catch on and love it once you practice it. Try it in a quick battle with a whole mortar platoon against some enemy infantry in the open and you will get the feel for the "AI Control." It can be quite devastating against armoured (half-tracks) as well! I stopped two armoured companies dead in their tracks once with a well directed mortar platoon.

Often--upon set-up-- I set all my companies to AI and then deselect specific units as the battle unfolds, vice-a-versa.

"AI control" also affects your wire laying platoons when establishing comms during entrenchment or hasty defence (if one has the time). It allows the comms squad to shuttle back and forth (without your input) in order to lay cable for greater continuity in defensive communications. It can be quite startling how effective your defensive positions can be when comms are established. Having said this however, sometimes I can`t get the wire troops to do anything? Such are the inconsistencies of war.

Further more, if you activate AI to the whole company, they can act on their own initiative as they see fit.

I hope this helps a little.

Ezra
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:35:09 PM by Ezra » Logged
Bipman
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »

Thanks,  I understand a bit better now!

Bipman
Ezra
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 11:00:32 PM »

You are welcome.

I have been fiddling with this game for years and I am still learning things. The learning curve is steeper than your typical RTS, but then GTOS is not typically an RTS in the technical sense. It`s an adjustment to relearn what most people have become accustomed to in this (wargame) genre. I often find that the less I fiddle with it the more I enjoy watching the outcome. It seems that the more I try to micro-manage the more convoluted the maneuvers become. Now I spend more time planning and less time interfering. In this way the outcome is more in my favour when I let the AI do the fighting.

Consolidated momentum seems to be crucial in offensive battles, whereas terrain and comms are critical on defence.

This forum is great for support.

Ezra
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: