Graviteam
April 19, 2024, 09:10:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 8806 times)
HassoVonManteuffel
Oberleutnant

« on: June 04, 2015, 08:07:29 PM »

Hello there,
I'm kinda new to Operation Star (played few games), and already can praise the creators and say that game easily shall be my top fav wargame, ex eaquo with Close Combat and Combat Mission (old generation).

1) On my notebook (Win7 64, Intel i3-2310M 2,1GHz; GeForce GT 520M; 4GB DDR3) the game can't work properly, it stutters at x0,5 speed with low fps, reaches desired speed only on tac-map. On the other hand - on my PC (XP SP3 32, Intel Dual Core E6500 2,93GHz, GeForce GTS 250) it runs fast like Me262 Schwalbe, even on high settings. What do?

2) Why can't I access the simulation settings? (the last category)

3) What does the battle-size setting changes? What does the "simulator" setting in the realism settings?

4) How does the command radius work? In old CM all squads in the communication radius were under the influence, in CC it was totally different from the communication area and was clearly shown (spacebar), here I can't tell. How can I check the commander's influence radius? Is it more CC-esque or CM-y? (Also, from what I deduced, if the squad is outside the command circle, the commands cost more and commander level reauired is higher, so it would bo more vital to actually know the radius)

5) What's the difference between "attack" and "assault" commands from quick menu?

6) Do I lost command over routed squads/bailed out crews like in CC or can I have them back after they recover, like in CM?

7) This may be a stupid question from a veteran wargamer like me, but: how does the morale work here? I started to question my assumptions when I played particular game. Tigers against KVs. I packed my Tigers closely, so commander would influence the soldiers, about 20 ms from each other. And then after few minutes of firefight I got one PzVI with 2 crewmen dead, some damages to its equipment and stuff, being shot at by 3 KVs, and the crew goes like "Ve schall send zese Mongolian Bolschewik Apes to ze Hell, mein Fuehrer", while the Tiger just next to commander's tank is retreating after being shot at once! by one! tank, and that shot did nothing, only caused confusion to one of the crewmen, they were all like: "Oh noes, gunmen bit his finger off when he was chewing off his nails and than the impact happened, so much blood!". The experience, morale, cmdr level and other stuff was the same as the other tanks before battle, so I'm dumbfounded, as it defies my understanding of AI morale
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 01:25:03 PM »

Welcome to forum!

1) On my notebook (Win7 64, Intel i3-2310M 2,1GHz; GeForce GT 520M; 4GB DDR3) the game can't work properly, it stutters at x0,5 speed with low fps, reaches desired speed only on tac-map. On the other hand - on my PC (XP SP3 32, Intel Dual Core E6500 2,93GHz, GeForce GTS 250) it runs fast like Me262 Schwalbe, even on high settings. What do?
Laptops are just more limited than desktops.

2) Why can't I access the simulation settings? (the last category)
Simulation settings are from Steel Armor Blaze of War, they are disabled here.

3) What does the battle-size setting changes? What does the "simulator" setting in the realism settings?
Limited battle radius defines how much units are to get into a battle. "Simulator" setting is simply a preset for other settings, look for what is changing (tactical battle time, limit trench digging, etc.).

5) What's the difference between "attack" and "assault" commands from quick menu?
These are presets for different order modifiers, see the table on p. 38 in the manual (it's somewhat old) or right in the game.

6) Do I lost command over routed squads/bailed out crews like in CC or can I have them back after they recover, like in CM?
You can disband a squad in the operational phase, and not wounded soldiers will be transferred to other squads in the platoon.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Fireflyboy
Oberleutnant

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:32:02 PM »

HassoVonManteuffel, I'm a big noob myself, but there are couple of things I can help you with.

How does the command radius work?
It's more like in CM. It is based on communication. So infantry squads should be kept closer to be able to pass voice commands around. The tanks, on the contrary, can be dispersed, since they all have radios.

Also, from what I deduced, if the squad is outside the command circle, the commands cost more and commander level reauired is higher,
You are correct.

What's the difference between "attack" and "assault" commands from quick menu?
"Assault" makes your troops keep a tighter formation. "Attack" makes them advance in a more loose, broad formation.

Hope it helps!
HassoVonManteuffel
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 07:36:23 PM »

Thanks for the replies!

Ok, I know that, but I don't think this is the case - let us take, for example, Spacemarine from the same year as OS. It's more requiring in terms of specs, however, it works perfectly on ultra settings on my laptop, while on my PC a bit worse (after a longer while it stutters slightly). Whatever, is there any way to cheat the game and laptop to allow the game to run at least at 1x speed in 3d view, even at the cost of 7-10 fps?

Limited battle radius defines how much units are to get into a battle

Well, that is what I could understand, by my question I meant what exactly these 3 settings mean - unlimited, moderate and limited. So, unlimited allows for big battles from the whole operational map? And limited - for skirmishes between the squads in the immediate perimetre? It could be nice for a little in-game explanation, as it is kinda unclear (the pop-up infobox that shows after hovering the mouse over the setting's name)

You can disband a squad in the operational phase, and not wounded soldiers will be transferred to other squads in the platoon.

So, no recovery for troops during the tac-battle?

It is based on communication. So infantry squads should be kept closer to be able to pass voice commands around. The tanks, on the contrary, can be dispersed, since they all have radios.

Ok, but the radios themselves have some limits, isn't it right? And, while going through some clicking around in the menu, I've found some different coloured lines, so it shows the command radius, am I right? But is there any proper size in metres for the radio/voice radius? (Well, wires would be automatically set up, so I just need to wait for it)
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 08:57:24 PM »

Ok, I know that, but I don't think this is the case - let us take, for example, Spacemarine from the same year as OS. It's more requiring in terms of specs, however, it works perfectly on ultra settings on my laptop, while on my PC a bit worse (after a longer while it stutters slightly). Whatever, is there any way to cheat the game and laptop to allow the game to run at least at 1x speed in 3d view, even at the cost of 7-10 fps?

Disable option 6.16 in your game options settings and see if that works.
I play this game on a lap top similar to your specs and I had to disable that option to get better speed.

Also, on the summer maps I generally have to play the game at x2 speed.

HassoVonManteuffel
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 01:45:06 PM »

@Dane

Thanks, gonna check that up when I get to it
Fracchione
Oberleutnant

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 08:49:59 PM »

On my crappy laptop it runs fine(win7 64 4330m 6 gbRAM i3 2.10Hz). Only issue is smoke while zooming.
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »

I usually set smoke and dust to the lowest setting. You still get plenty of it and it still looks good. Smiley
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 11:41:44 PM »

On my crappy laptop it runs fine(win7 64 4330m 6 gbRAM i3 2.10Hz). Only issue is smoke while zooming.

Is that smoke coming from the ventilation ports of the laptop? Grin

Bring back 3D markers!
Fracchione
Oberleutnant

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 09:51:45 AM »

Is that smoke coming from the ventilation ports of the laptop? Grin

I delayed the installation big time fearing it would not work. However, good for me it does.
HassoVonManteuffel
Oberleutnant

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 01:28:45 PM »

Danke fuer der antworten!

Disabling the 6,16 helped me very much, with enough fiddling around with options I got kinda neat graphics, and still something around 15-20 FPS, we'll see, how shall it fare during larger battles.

another question - what does that different sings over the squads mean? From what I get, the "radio" signs that commander is giving orders and another squad is receiving them, but what about this "Y" shaped sing and these "scattered" dots? And what about others, that I probably didn't see yet?
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 05:45:15 PM »

JCMiller put together a decent guide here, for this game on the Steam forums.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=339318454
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2015, 06:05:22 PM »

Very nice guide.  Thanks for posting Dane.

Bring back 3D markers!
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:43:08 PM »

This guide is in the sticky since long time. Cheesy

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »

Thanks Krabb.  I must have missed it.

Bring back 3D markers!
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 03:51:23 PM »

Yep, it had old not very clear title and was lost in the list. I moved the link to the top there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: