Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 12:44:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intelligence on enemy  (Read 6356 times)
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« on: June 10, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »

One of the problems I've had is deciding on my tactics once I get to the tactical phase.  This is difficult because, at least at the start of campaigns, I often have no idea of the OOB of the opposing forces.  I usually end up assuming a defensive position, wait to see what the enemy is going to do and what he has, and then carefully advance if he shows no aggressive tendencies.  Sometimes this results in my large force sitting on it's hands while opposing a weak enemy force because there is no way to get info about what I'm facing.

As the campaign progresses I do start to get an appreciation for what I'm facing but it seems less that what I would expect from scouts, patrols, observer aircraft etc.

I'm interested to hear how others approach this.

Bring back 3D markers!
Ezra
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »

I can relate to what you said depending on the theatre and terrain. Generally I scout and advance up the axis of enemy movements that are indicated on the strategic map prior to advancing to the tactical; the red arrows etc. This is the best Intel at that point. I also try to keep my forces together as much as possible rather than split them up which diminishes the effectiveness of my reserve.

Just some thoughts Smiley
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »

A few examples from ww2 on the Eastern front:

1) Germans thought that Taranovka was empty on the 2th march 43. It was a real shock that there was a soviet regiment with a tank brigade.
2) Germans had not expected to see a serious AT defence in Rakitnoe on the 8th march, they thought that they had already crashed all troops around.
3) Soviet 111 Rifle Division did not know that Piper had crossed its positions in Krasnaya Polyana and went to meet 320 ID, even though he had destroyed part of 111 RD's battalion. 111 RD understood that something was wrong only when troops of 320 ID tried to pass through 111 RD positions at the same place.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:35:25 PM by FB_AGA » Logged
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »

I posted a similar question on the Steam forum a few days ago; at least, asking how people generally approach their battle set up.
I tend to put AT/field guns at the back away from harm and infantry in cover up ahead of them in the hope that any incoming armour will be distracted by the infantry rather than the guns, which can try and take them out (and the infantry will help finish off when they get damaged - or take care of their crew if the eject). I keep tanks mobile and try not to get them involved too early until I can see what sort of opposition there is.
If I have an overwhelming force I just grab the tanks and the infantry and set them off in an assault formation and see what happens. I am doing that at the moment playing Shilovo as the Germans. I seem to have so many units I can barely get them all on the map and can't get them all in the game (probably too many, it is a bit of a Blitzkreig situation - more than 20 tanks in one battle!). There are so many that for the first time I have seen scrolling arrows on the units toolbar at the bottom of the screen so I can scan them all.
Finally, there is an option you can set that will allow you to see the enemy before the start. I have resisted using that but the "Restart Operation" button remains my best friend...
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 04:39:06 PM »

A few examples from ww2 on the Eastern front:

1) Germans thought that Taranovka was empty on the 2th march 43. It was a real shock that there was a soviet regiment with a tank brigade.
2) Germans had not expected to see a serious AT defence in Rakitnoe on the 8th march, they thought that they had already crashed all troops around.
3) Soviet 111 Rifle Division did not know that Piper had crossed its positions in Krasnaya Polyana and went to meet 320 ID, even though he had destroyed part of 111 RD's battalion. 111 RD understood that something was wrong only when troops of 320 ID tried to pass through 111 RD positions at the same place.

So you're saying that intelligence is often nonexistent or faulty.

Bring back 3D markers!
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 04:52:35 PM »

I'm playing Op Hooper now.  I guess I can send small units of "trackers" ahead of the main force.  They are mostly sacrificial lambs however.  I would think that small units of 1-3 men, in cover, and/or at night could sneak close enough to the enemy to spot him without being spotted themselves.  The problem is they are spotted by buttoned up tanks and apcs as well as infantry.

Bring back 3D markers!
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 05:16:37 PM »

So you're saying that intelligence is often nonexistent or faulty.

Yes, the quality of information is usually low. The best source, in my opinion, is pows. Other ways usually provide to general information. For example, Germans found out that in Taranovka was troops of 25th guard division only in a couple of days from the beginning of battle for that village, when they got first pows. Before they could not tell what troops they were fighting with.

On the other hand, in July's Mius operation Soviet 5th Army command set 2 AT brigades and one AT division to counter possible German counter offencive of 2 tank divisions from the North, 22nd and 23rd. The only thing 5th Army HQ did not know was that 22nd was disbanded in April  Smiley
Ezra
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 07:45:51 PM »

Tanker,

My experience in "Hooper" was much like yours when using scouts. Did you you try unselecting "Fire at will" for the recon units? I find that to help so as to not draw fire when scouting.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »

I'll give that a try Ezra.  And I'll make sure they leave their fluorescent jackets and strobe lights back in camp. Cheesy

Bring back 3D markers!
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2015, 11:23:48 PM »

What I like about this game is you can't micro- manage, basically anything.
Fog of war, stupidity and goof ups are things that can't be really factored by the player to come up with the perfect math formula to influence the game in their favor.

You say your recon team should have been able to sneak up on a buttoned up tank or apc. How do you know if some other unit didn't spot them and warn them that a enemy recon team was in the area and be on 100 % alert? If you knew an enemy unit was in the area would you sit exposed to enemy fire?

Reminds me of the time I was on a field manuever at Fort Huachuca Arizona back in the mid 80's. My squad team was suppose to come down off of the mountain and fire up a radio station(mock up) with live LAW rockets during the very early morning, about 0300.
Our team leader got confused about where the target was exactly and wanted to make time by using the main trail. Him and the asst. squad leader and the rest of the squad started to check the map in the middle of the trail while I decided since everyone had stopped and were standing in the middle of the trail to go off into the woods and sit down.

About 5 mins. later we got a radio call to head to the cross roads, since the team was considered wiped out and to wait for a truck to take us back to the barracks.
Everyone thought my movement in the woods made too much noise and we were the victims of a mechanical ambush or a mortar strike.

When we got back to the barracks, we were told that a helicopter with infra red scopes spotted us and fired up the team, and the guy who walked into the woods was the only non- casualty. Everyone wanted to know how I knew. I didn't! I just don't like to stand in groups in the middle of an open trail.

Shit happens in real life and in this game.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: