Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:18:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Area sight and Line of Sight/Line of Targetting  (Read 5935 times)
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« on: June 11, 2015, 04:54:21 PM »

One thing I've noticed is that even if a unit does not have LOS or "area sight" as shown by the tools in game they still are able to sight and hit enemy units.  I placed some AT guns in some woods.  The area sight, LOS tools showed that they could not see very far into the fields beyond the woods' edge.  But the guns spotted enemy tanks and started engaging them about 1/2 way across the wide field.  Theoretically the tanks were out of sight of the guns.  Either the tools are unreliable or the guns were using tall periscopes and indirect fire.

Bring back 3D markers!
perelandra67
Leutnant

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 10:12:17 PM »

any discussion on this? I am wondering about it as well
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »

Never heard from the Devs on this or other players.  I guess you and I are the only ones that have noted this and/or taken the trouble to post about it.  It is a curious phenomenon though.

Bring back 3D markers!
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:36 AM »

I think this also depends on which viewing device the ai gunner/commander/crew are using with the LOS tool.  The game is actually using what a vehicle or solider can see.  So if the the commander of an AT gun is what is reported by the LOS tool, its not paying attention to what the actual gunners sight can see.  Or I guess other members of the crew.  If they can see, they can generally still shoot.  Or is the LOS tool using what the actual gun location is?  In which case, the gunner sight is often above and/or to the side of it.  So that would account for that some what. 

You sometimes see guns firing into dirt right in front of them as the gun has no clear view, but the sight or crew does.  So they give it a go anyways.  Hell, sometimes they dig a trench threw the dirt and more morph the land around where the rounds hit.   Tongue Then actually do make hits....

Yabba dabba do
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:50:04 AM »

The LOS tool only accounts for what the leader of that unit sees. It doesn't take into account other members of the squad or crew who will pass enemy spotting info on to the rest of the members.
Jethro
Oberleutnant

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

This is an old topic.  I know... 

But, I'm pretty sure it's because the LOS tool tells you when the ground is visible.  Often, you can't see the ground.  However, you can definitely see the great hulking Tiger tank sitting on the ground.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: