Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 07:40:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shield of the Prophet - HELP....!  (Read 4694 times)
DDTank
Hauptmann

« on: June 17, 2015, 12:22:36 AM »

Having got to grips reasonably well with the WWII Eastern front battles, I fired up this DLC for the first time.
Help please! Someone...?
I feel like I am back in the early days of trying to play Achtung Panzer and the uninstall tantrums. I have no clue how to approach the modern(ish) warfare on open plains and just get destroyed. Someone...?
Ezra
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:00:00 AM »

DDTank,

I am now playing the Russians in this DLC. I didn`t do to well as the Iranian proxy while defending. As the Russians I use over-watch tactics with armour as I attack in the upper (northern sector) through the shallow desert "wadi" terrain. It`s the only tactical cover that I have been able to exploit in terms of advancing with minimal losses. The open ground in the south is tough if you plan to avoid insurmountable losses early on.

Be patient (I play in 1 Hour time mode).

Just my limited opinion.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 05:30:17 AM »

Look at map in OP screen.  Try and stay away from anything that looks like wide open desert.  Unless you think you can sneak some tanks threw.  If you get into a tactical battle in the open desert its a bunch of head bashing until one side is out of tanks.

As Soviets its just push threw the Iranians with force on the east side.  The Southern force can have major issues....that is all I will say about that. 

AS Iranians you are going to need to be really flexible for the 1st half of campaign.  Your fighting a delaying action until reinforcements get into the battle.  I generally will try to  get as much fuel to as many cheiftans as I can the first turn or 2.  AS well as pull as much stuff back to better defensive positions around the center map.  You will HAVE to fight delaying actions.  But the longer you can hold off the onslaught the more time you can get guys dug in somewhere in the middle of the map.  Infantry can be useful here.  Open desert not at all.  If your getting your butt kicked or better about to get it kicked.  Flee the battle.  Those units will sooner or later become active again.  Air spotters can be useful, but you dont get many.  So try not to let them get killed.  So long as weather is good you can call in those F5E's every time a battle happens.  When they get lucky with their bombs they will really mess up tanks.  They dont seem to kill many.  But a mobility kill is good enough for a delaying action. 

Hull down positions will help keep your tanks alive, well more of them alive.  Infantry generally suck in this DLC.   BUT....in broken land at night they can actually be vary useful.  Find lowish ground that the enemy will have to use.  Hopefully they kill some tanks with RPG's.  AT missles are quite useful but not alot of ammo.  Try and find good places for the  AT3 or dragon crews. 

Yabba dabba do
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »

That's very helpful; thanks guys - I will give it another go...

Couple more things, Flashburn:
"get as much fuel to as many chieftans" - how is that done? I need to look at the map again but is there a supply depot I just get them too?
"Hull down positions will help keep your tanks alive" - how do you direct that? There is the embark/disembark command for vehicles like troop carriers; does that tell them to turn in/out if used on tanks (would they not just all get out...)?
Thanks again.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:32:34 AM »

You can put them on defense before the battle starts.  It's one of the icons over on the bottom left of the screen.  The tanks are placed hull down in revetments.  Infantry dig trenches.

Bring back 3D markers!
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 11:00:08 PM »

If you're attacking across open ground in full daylight you're wrong, unless you have an overwhelming force and can afford the high casualties!

You can try throwing some smoke(arty - mortar) in front of your attacking units or attack at night or during a sand storm or try and use any terrain dips in the ground, but outside of that expect heavy casualties attacking head on over an open area.
Also, recon any area you wish to attack(Preferably a recon unit) with a small force to ascertain what you are up against so you can direct any supporting fire to neutralize the heavier enemy weapons.

These are basic tactics when attacking, if you are a novice military tactician then expect to get your ass handed to you.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 11:11:42 PM by Dane49 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: