Graviteam
April 24, 2024, 02:59:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Line of Sight, Targeting, .. the 'All Seeing' AI etc..  (Read 6886 times)
Thomasew
Major

« on: June 26, 2015, 07:23:52 AM »

Hi,

As much as I love SABOW, .. the one aspect that bothers me, .. is the AI's ability to see through everything.  Sad

I spend a lot of time with the Battle Editor, and try to set up scenarios, .. where I can ambush the enemy etc..  Smiley

Unfortunately, as the AI can see through walls, hills, etc., this becomes virtually impossible to accomplish.  Sad

The addition of smoke screens etc., whilst visually impressive, .. does little more than accomplish that, .. as targeting can still be done through the smoke ..  Huh?

Whether the Enemy is behind a hill, ridge, wall or smoke etc., I can still target them .. i.e. white dot.  Huh?

So, if they're behind smoke, I can still target and shoot at them. If they're behind some other obstacle, I can still follow their progress, or work my way around them.

Likewise, .. if I'm behind a hill or some other obstacle, .. the Enemy AI can target me, .. and fires away .. hitting only the obstacle between me and them.  Roll Eyes

Surely, this defeats the realism aspect of the simulation. ??

Is this something that can be addressed and fixed?

.. I hope so ..  Smiley

Cheers
Tom

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:30:31 AM by Thomasew » Logged

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win
johncage
Oberst

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 03:11:55 AM »

they're not seeing through things, they just have good sight and it seems like they can see through things. in easy mode maybe they can add option delayed response time to first contact, but i suspect that will make things really easy and unrealistic when you injure a tank, and it takes them 10 seconds to find where you are.
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:38:19 AM »

AI might have LOS to the vary top of your vehicle.   Also maybe firing based on another unit passing on information.   I do not know if they will target and fire based only on sound.  See what happens if you get really low and shift location.  Do they move their fire?  Or still plaster the last place you where at? 

Yabba dabba do
Thomasew
Major

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 05:17:02 AM »

they're not seeing through things, they just have good sight and it seems like they can see through things. in easy mode maybe they can add option delayed response time to first contact, but i suspect that will make things really easy and unrealistic when you injure a tank, and it takes them 10 seconds to find where you are.

OK, .. let's say I agree, .. albeit slightly  Wink , .. that the enemy can't see though things, .. but have the uncanny ability to see the tip of my aerial from over 1000 yards away ..  Huh? ,

.. that doesn't negate the fact, .. that when I have absolutely no LOS to them at all, .. I an still Target them, .. whether they are behind an obstacle, or in the midst of a Smoke Screen. Obviously, I can't shoot at them thru an obstacle, .. but, I certainly can Target, and Shoot at them thru a Smoke Screen. That's not realistic at all. If I can't visually see them, .. I shouldn't be allowed to Target them.   Shocked

Here's an example ...

I've just targeted an Enemy Tank, .. from my location behind a ridge. (see white dot)

The Enemy Tank I've just targeted, .. by randomly clicking on 'designate target', .. is beyond, and behind, .. that far crest on the horizon ..  Shocked

I have absolutely no LOS, ..

So, with all hatches closed, .. and looking only thru the periscope, .. I've targeted an Enemy Tank, .. and can easily follow his progress/path.  Huh?

I would say, .. give us an option to disable the 'white dot', .. but, as the AI is actually assigning the Target, .. I'm not sure that that would help.

We should only be allowed to 'designate a target', .. if we can actually see it, thru the sight or binoculars etc., .. and not because the AI knows it's there.   Smiley

As I mentioned earlier, .. I can easily target the Enemy thru any smoke screen, .. and although I cannot visually see the Enemy Unit, .. I can just fire at the white/red dot ..  Roll Eyes

.. which kinda negates the Enemy AI using a Smoke Screen.  Sad

.. not so ?

What might alleviate the 'target designation' issue, to some degree, albeit small, .. is to narrow the 'field of view' of target designation. As it is right now, .. you can designate a target, even if it's not directly under, .. or even close, .. to the crosshair (center). It's far too wide/great. It seems to have a radius of 2cm to 3cm from the centre.  Shocked

Narrowing this focus, .. would also help oneself in 'designating a target' at far range, .. especially when you have groups of enemy units in close proximity to one another. I sometimes have difficulty in designating the target I want, .. as the targeting AI seems to have it's own priorities e.g. closer etc..  Huh?

You should only be able to designate a/the target, .. if it is actually inside the blue circle (Target Designator).  Smiley

In my example above, .. it would have been slightly more difficult to 'designate a target' (white dot) thru the ridge/hill, .. if it was limited to targeting within the Blue circle .. only!!

Cheers
Tom

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:55:11 AM by Thomasew » Logged

He Who Will Not Risk Cannot Win
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 01:12:21 PM »

AI, except that check sees / not see target, remember it and can interpolate their movement even when not see it at the moment. How long it will interpolate depends on the distance to the target and how well AI seen target before.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
topnik
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »

AI, except that check sees / not see target, remember it and can interpolate their movement even when not see it at the moment. How long it will interpolate depends on the distance to the target and how well AI seen target before.
How much of a target must the AI see in order to recognize it as target?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:28:26 PM »

How much of a target must the AI see in order to recognize it as target?

It depends on many factors: experience, range, speed, lighting conditions, the quality of sights and many different things. No predetermined times.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: