Graviteam
April 26, 2024, 05:36:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best way to learn for a noob?  (Read 6509 times)
MarkShot
Major

« on: September 07, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »

I've played Panther Game's RDOA/HTTR/COTA/BFTB and Battlefront's CMBO/CMBB/CMAK (learning CMBN now).  So, I have basic ground combat concepts.

I find this game to be quite sophisticated with limited documentation.  It had great reviews, and I am sure that it is a treasure of two level play (operational & tactical).  But I find the learning curve daunting.

Any suggestions as the best way to get up to speed?  BTW, I don't buy hundreds of games just a few and I play them for years.  I saw much replayability in this one and will buy the DLC once I feel comfortable with the core title:  GTOS.

Thanks.

PS:  I am aware the stickied threads and Youtube videos.
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:33:43 PM »

I posted something about this on the Steam forum that the OP found helpful. I don't know if it will help you if you already have a good grasp of war games but anyway, best approach I found is to avoid the campaigns and learn the ropes on the quick battles:
Find a fairly open section of map so you can see what is going on. Give yourself say, an AT unit, some infantry and a unit of tanks. Give the AI enemy one or two units of tanks and infantry. Set them to attack and you to defend. Now experiment with different deployments and make it such that at first you destroy the enemy - so at least you enjoy it (though there is enjoyment to be had in losing too!). Now start playing around with the units (you can right click and fine tune them before the battle starts and go to a screen where you can swap units out for weaker/stronger ones or just remove some if you like) and gradually give the enemy a stronger force and/or weaken your own.
You should now find the battle harder to win and you should learn more about best place to deploy units (as this is where you will often lose or win a battle).
As for key things to keep in mind when deploying (I am sure you can find the icons you need to click), keep a close check on the field of view (especially for gun commanders) and command communication lines (keep units close to their commanders - note if you click the icon that shows coms channels a second time, it will also show you the enemy units being targeted, which is also very useful).
MarkShot
Major

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 02:53:39 AM »

Thanks for your suggestions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: