Graviteam
April 25, 2024, 03:33:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Sukhoi SU-2 experts  (Read 34843 times)
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 12:53:18 PM »

Exterior normal maps are finally (I think!  Tongue) complete.  WOW talk about a lot of time....   Defuse textures should take about 1/10 the time.  

Next up is making the boring cockpit area less boring.  

When and if this bugger gets into some gravi game, people better take billions of screen shots of this turd dropping poop and stuff.   Wink
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:03:10 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 02:23:01 PM »

Back to boring green for the muck it up job.  

Now a question for AGA.  You would not happen to know the camo job of SU2 and which squadrons where around Kharvok area as well as Shilovo would you?  Now planning that green and black scheme of course.  But anything else (winter does not count).  As well as squadron markings would be nice.  Be stupid if I slap on markings from around Stalingrad for this thing.  

Crap, I modeled the belly gun all wrong.  Went off that plastic model.  Its WAY more basic.

http://wunderwafe.ru/WeaponBook/Avia/Su2/Pictures/12.jpg
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 02:31:30 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 06:20:22 PM »

Now a question for AGA.  You would not happen to know the camo job of SU2 and which squadrons where around Kharvok area as well as Shilovo would you?  Now planning that green and black scheme of course.  But anything else (winter does not count).  As well as squadron markings would be nice.  

Sorry, but I can't say anything about plane camo or squadron markings Sad

I can say that in May 1942 6th Army (which was lost near Kharkov)...(ahh what a fate, RKKA lost its 6th in May 42, Wehrmacht in Feb 43. Before, RKKA lost its first 6th Army in August 1941 while Wehrmacht its second 6th in August 44)...the 6th Soviet Army had 13th guards regiment on Su-2. While the whole Front had also the 52nd and 135th regiments on Su-2. There were also 10th guards and 99th regiments, but I don't know their composition. It seems 10th guards and 99th had SB-2, AR-2 and Pe-2

In June there was a reform and the 8th Aviation Army was created with 270th bomber division which acted in the area of "Shilovo" and "Odincov" and in early July 1942 (Odincov and Shilovo time) it had 52nd, 135th regiments on SU-2 and separatly the 13th guards regiment on Su-2.

In May 42 there also were the 90th and 91st recon squadrons. 90th could have Su-2, BUT in late June 1942 it had only 3 Pe-2 and 1 Pe-3. While 91st in late June 1942 had 3 Su-2 and 2 Pe-2 and 1 DB-3. Unfortunately, it seems all planes of 91st were under repair.

Still nothing on bombs  Sad
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »

Hmmm.  Well thanks.  it is a starting  point.  Worse case just do something passable for all I guess.  Maybe I dig up something on markings and camo.  But not hopeful.   Still a place to start looking about.  

Ya, weird on the bombs.  I can not find ANYTHING useful.  Even dimensions!   Cry  Might just eyeball it and be done with it.  

Then again....

Certainly NO standards there.  

Great.   I think I have the wrong cowling on my model.  Looks more like off a BB-1 or M82 not a M88b.  Better fix that.

Really?  Now i find interesting drawings...

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:42:17 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 08:48:20 PM »

OK... I see where I fouled up on the cowling.  I made an M88 and NOT an m88b.  Interesting.  

Might end up with a couple different models as right now neither is correct.  Its a mishmash su2.  Damnit! Well, right in the middle of both. Might as well DO both.  

Note that top pick of the 3 SU2's.  The 2 in front are M88b's.  The one in back is the M88.  

More than I ever wanted to know about SU-2's I have learned.   Tongue

So to make an SU2 M88 with the current model it looks like I need to add that weird looking thing under the engine.  While the M88B needs the cowling changed.  As far as I can tell that is only difference.  

Ok...well then.  I guess i do the M88B 1st and if still sane plop out the M88 model.  Wish someone had caught that.  Why I make post like this.  boohoo.   Cry  Well it keeps me motivated too i guess.  Wonder what else I fouled up...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:58:44 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 09:12:51 PM »

Why am I noticing this crap NOW.   Cry  So radio mast is only on M88 model?  Missing in M88B?  Maybe also do the half size rear hump on the M88B.  Like in photo.  I know these came in 2 sizes and some like that SU-2 M88 in back have it totally removed.  Boy I stepped into this late.  How did I not notice this!   UGH

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 10:13:54 PM »

Still mucking around for the right M88B cowling.  Shockingly, despite stretching the mesh and its UVW mapping for the textures, well you cant tell its stretched.  YAy.  Less work.  

Wip now su2 m88 top.  Wip now su M88B bottom.  Oh what fun.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 10:23:38 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »

Ok, think I got it right.  Just need to tweak a couple things. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »

IF I manage to clear out the old stuff and if Mius does not have something like it in it...  I think I might make this next.

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 08:06:30 AM »

On Bombs. The thing that every type had tens of different variations  Grin Grin

I'll start with the smallest fragmentation and try to cover every Frag and HE up to 250KG in a few days.

1) AO-2.5sch Is thought to be the most numerous soviet bomb. Generally speaking these are defective 45mm artillery and 82mm mortar shells.

On photos usually present this one

BUT! It was not in production since 1940.

For the war the most correct are number 1 or number 3.

And the correct painting for all AO bombs (fragmentation) is:

Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

So exactly how do you know a shell is defective?   Tongue Its fired once and well.... now we throw it off a plane?  I am guessing these came off of dud rounds that failed to fire?  Pull the shell, give it fins and throw off an air plane?

Also if you spot any of these things on a bomb rack that would help.  I am inclined to one of the 45mm sorts. Perhaps it can be set up to where the plane drops them  8-10 at time so you do not get a huge performance drop.  42 of these going off at once would be bad.

And last thought.  I think since now I am doing both su2 m88 and m88B.  I think the m88 will not have the belly gun while the m88b will.  Go with that for now.    
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:20:07 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
FB_AGA
Oberst

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »

So exactly how do you know a shell is defective?   Tongue Its fired once and well.... now we throw it off a plane?  I am guessing these came off of dud rounds that failed to fire?  Pull the shell, give it fins and throw off an air plane?

No, in production always there are some shells with flaws. These shells can not be shot, so they are converted into bombs. 45mm and mortar shells can be converted only in little fragmintation bombs. The same used Germans with captured french mortar shells and theit 50mm, called them SD-1.

Also if you spot any of these things on a bomb rack that would help.  I am inclined to one of the 45mm sorts. Perhaps it can be set up to where the plane drops them  8-10 at time so you do not get a huge performance drop.  42 of these going off at once would be bad.
About 60 per a container with about 4 containers per a plane  Grin 

In the game it was already tested two years ago by me. No issues with performance. There are some problems with bombs accuracy and deviation, but they are the same for current ingame bombs  Sad Developers don't want to notice it  Sad

I've tested 96 and 128, all was fine, except the blast...here the developers assistence is needed. I think that this problem will be fixed in Mius when PTABs will be adopted, but it seems they don't want to hear anything about PTABs or any cluster ammunition which was the main source against forward troops Sad
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2015, 04:28:49 PM »

Looks like I am not the only one to get SU-2 types confussed.  

This I think is box art, should be an su-2 M88.  But has 2 things wrong.  The engine exhaust nozzle is on wrong side for su2 m88.  Its on this side for M88b and M82.  And has 2 wing lights instead of just 1 like it should.  Look at me go...  And....I finished the M88B redo mesh and now working on the M88.  Will anyone be able to even notice the differences?  Does it even matter?   Tongue

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 04:33:06 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »

Well that was surprisingly awful...

But now have the mesh and unwrapping done for both.  Just need to update base textures...again.  

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2015, 09:51:31 PM »

Just making sure I did not screw anything up to bad.  Looks kind of neat.   Grin

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 03:00:31 PM »

AO series of bombs?

Which brings up another point.  The game does not support opening bomb bay doors.   Cry  So its either going to be bombs just fall threw the mesh, or the doors will have to be open all the time.   Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

Been looking like crazy but can not find how the heck the AO 2.5 is attached to the air craft.  I see no way for this thing to attach to something like a KD-2 bomb rack.  So how the hell?  If I can not find any pics I think its going to have to be a lot of FAB-50's.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:57:35 PM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2015, 12:30:22 AM »

Little update blurb....  Although who knows when this thing gets in game.  My plan is just complete the LOD 1 and textures and plow right into finishing the M38a1 jeep as there is a DLC for SABOW around the corner.  Not sure how I want to handle the in game model.  Wait for MIUS or what.  As well as maybe do something a bit more extensive and release in one blob.  The last makes sense to me and something I have kicked around my head for some time.  Like, make 2 planes and 2 aaa guns and release in mass with some sort of campaign or some such.  That might be a while...  Or at least 1 su2 and maybe a flak 30/38.   

At any rate.  Been nit picking things, reworking areas, and well going bonkers over details.  The results are that for the effort its like 1 percent better and no one will probably be able to tell.   Undecided  So 1 more thing to add to normal map and calling it done for that.  Also issues with the M88b model that I am not happy with so M88 model is what I am giving effort too.  Likely go back at a later time and correct those issues.  It will share same texture sheet between planes. Just enough room for the extra m88b bits and  1 or 2 bomb racks.  Logical for an RTS sort of game.  

But if ANYONE has a picture of how the AO series of bombs was mounted on this thing or any other similar plane (IL-2) please post it!   i found dimensions of AO 2.5 off a UXO web sight so if I can find stupid pic of how its mounted to plane then we are in business on that one.  

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 12:34:13 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2015, 02:15:30 AM »

Well... another wip shot.  Ya, its not going to get much better as far as normal maps go.  Moving on to final defuse textures.  

« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:26:30 AM by Flashburn » Logged

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 06:12:12 PM »

How about an su-2 and this thing?  

Which also means one of these things...

Wish the game did more with tactical air.  Like being able to attack supply depots via air out side of units bumping into one another.  Well, I can dream.   Or a working armored train sort of crazy.  More dreams...  Or supply dumps actually looking like supply dumps. 

Yabba dabba do
Flashburn
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 07:19:06 PM »

Well its something on the AO bomb issue. 

AO-25  Knowing that its 122mm and has how it attaches makes this doable.  Needs a KD-1 bomb rack for SU2.  In fact I seem to have found how every AO series goes except the AO-2.5.  But have found a few pictures of 2 connected via the tail sections.  I think they are AO 2.5 but not certain.  Which makes sense.  As its a 45mm shell its prett small.  Mounting 2 together and then mounting to a bomb rack I can see working.   As it falls I would think air friction should get them to separate.  But this is all guess work.  AO-8 maybe what I do to for these little guys.  Well AO 25 as well.  Its nice that can simply use the config for their artillery fired shell counter parts.  And 42 AO-8's is still a lot of little bombs.

Yabba dabba do
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: