Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 10:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: GTOS Weapon Sound Effects Mod v1.2.1  (Read 18750 times)
ackack
Oberleutnant

« on: September 16, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »

v1.2.1
Turns out I accidentally replaced some other sfx that were not intended for release Roll Eyes... most notably the DT, DShK, and the PPSh. It might not be real noticeable (you guys might actually prefer them), so I'll still keep the 1.2 version up, but I'm also going to have an "intended release" version, which will roll back those aforementioned sound files :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9au5skn602r5ct4/weapon_sfx_mod_1_2_1.gt2extension?dl=0
http://www.mediafire.com/download/12af1wxe85ferdd/weapon_sfx_mod_1_2_1.gt2extension

v1.2
Replaced the LMG sfx (MG34 and DP) so that they fire two shot bursts (instead of one). Now there should be a nice distinction between LMG fire and other small arms fire, and there will be a more accurate sound of the actual amount of fire being dished out on the battlefield. I originally thought that LMGs were firing one round, but after taking a look recently, I see that they fire at least two (counting the number of bursts between mag reloads).

Thanks to Schuck for inadvertently drawing my attention to this!

You can download the latest version here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c3695ewqkv7ba8q/weapon_sfx_mod_1_2.gt2extension?dl=0

or here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/50ikkjt2dd9obm0/weapon_sfx_mod_1_2.gt2extension

Link to YouTube video:

*first attempt at recording/editing/uploading, so it might not look that great, just remember it’s the audio that matters  Wink

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had this in the readme file, but just to make it more visable:

Most of the firearm sound effects were taken from the “Free Firearm SFX Library”, released by Still North Media, under a CC0 "No Rights Reserved" licence. This library was released to the public back in 2014 as part of a Kickstarter campaign.

The entire library is available for free download on their website:

http://www.stillnorthmedia.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change log:

v1.2.1
- Rolled back DT, DShK, PPSh, PPD-40, P38, Nagant Revolver and TT33 Pistol to 1.1 version sfx

v1.2
- Replaced MG34 and DP sfx (they now fire 2 round bursts)

v1.10
- Replaced the DShK sound effect
- Lowered the volume of the vanilla MG42 sound effect
- Slightly modified the vanilla "Besa" HMG sound effect
- Replaced the Bren/Browning MG sound effect (in this game the bren and the browning share the same sfx file)

v1.02
- Added soundfx for the PPD-40

v1.01
- Fixed the tt33 pistol so that it uses the right sound file (was using vanilla before).

v1.0
- Replaced the following weapon soundfx:
DP, DT, Kar98k, Maxim1910, MG34, MG34(AFV variant), MN9130, MP38, Nagant Pistol, P38, PPSh, SVT40, TT33
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:33:42 AM by ackack » Logged
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 02:35:26 AM »

Added it to my game. As far as I can tell, this is the best sound mod out there, and a big improvement over the standard in game sound.

Good work,thanks! Cool
Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »

Nice work! Full list of mods is in the sticky and on wiki. I added the mod there, and mirrored the file to my mediafire and mega.nz, if you don't mind. Also, why not .gt2extension? It's almost like your zip, just change the extension and remove the top folder: CORE and readme.txt should be in the root. Check my mirrored links for an example.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
ackack
Oberleutnant

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 01:41:16 PM »

Thanks for the positive feedback and the sticky. I originally thought that the .gt2extention files were some kind of proprietary Graviteam format, just yesterday I discovered that they were just regular old zip files  Grin. I'll make sure to convert my own versions to .gt2extention files by then end-of of today so that its less of a pain to install.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 01:45:03 PM by ackack » Logged
Fritz
Generaloberst

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

At my point LMG (DP, MG) sound not very good.

IN TANK WE TRUST
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 07:15:05 PM »

I agree.  The sound of the German mg does not sound like youtube examples of live firing of German WW2 mgs.

Bring back 3D markers!
Dane49
Generalfeldmarschall

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »

Everything sounds  muffled in this game! I remember being around live fire exercises with the M-60 Patton tank when I  was active Army and when the gun went off it was a very loud ear splitting crack!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 07:16:32 PM by Dane49 » Logged
ackack
Oberleutnant

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »

I agree.  The sound of the German mg does not sound like youtube examples of live firing of German WW2 mgs.

Your right, the MG34 sound effects are actually derived from a Carl Gustav M45 smg, and it definitely sounds weaker than it should. I have a few youtube live recordings that I'm looking into that could be a good replacement. The problem is finding a "high quality" recording. Something that's relatively uncompressed - contains more detail, but at the same time not so loud that all you hear is an undistinguishable bang. I am in no way a professional sound mixer, so there's only so much I can do to improve audio quality on my own.

I was also considering porting over some sound effects from Theatre of War 2: Kursk. Despite all it's faults, imho the sound design was very well done in that game. I've already tried contacting 1c company to see what their policy is on asset porting for non-commercialized, publicly distributed mods, but the forums are dead and I haven't received any replies from my email inquires Sad.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:38:11 PM by ackack » Logged
Veteran66
Hauptmann

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

sorry for ask here:
What for format have the sound files, like this one:

combat_ger_01_01.loc_def.sound

Krabb
Administrator
Generaloberst

Chekist with a Mauser

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »

If somebody hasn't noticed, v1.2 is out.

"Please adopt a good faith attitude, Andrey. After 2+ years it's about time you did."
"It is simply not necessary, it makes no sense"
Schuck
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 01:49:49 PM »

Thanks a lot ackack.
Awesome work!

Many thanks mate.
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 05:51:25 PM »

Wouldn't the MG 34 have fired more than a 2 round burst?

Bring back 3D markers!
ackack
Oberleutnant

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2016, 01:53:23 AM »

Wouldn't the MG 34 have fired more than a 2 round burst?
Yeah, I'm guessing IRL, aiming at a target 100+ meters away, you could fire at least 3-5 shots before the recoil got too high (assuming the RO2 MG34 is anything to go by  Wink)

But, one of my goals for this sound mod was to sync up the shots being discharged in-game to the sound files. By doing that you get a more accurate sense of what's happening on the battlefield, in terms of quantity of shots being fired.  Also, using 2 shots per burst get's rid of any annoying sfx spam for full auto weapons, like what happens with the vanilla PPSh.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 04:19:06 AM by ackack » Logged
Schuck
Oberstleutnant

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »

Well after reading this I decided to check (call me sad if you want!)
The LMG MG34 has a 50 round mag and fires 15 bursts between reloads, so 3 (3.3!) rounds per burst.
And the DP has a round drum mag that holds 47 rounds and fires 21 bursts between reloads, so 2 (2.2!) rounds per burst.
Calculated by watching for muzzle flash and/or smoke discharge when fired.
But the main point, is now you can differentiate between rifle shots and LMG's.
A very good Mod, certainly makes the game a lot better for me anyway!
So thanks.

ps. I think you've also done something to the MG42 sound.
     The 'new' PPSh sounds awesome!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 07:32:41 PM by Schuck » Logged
Tanker
Generalfeldmarschall

BRING BACK MARKERS

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:06 PM »

I remember seeing a US Army training film from the 1940s where the instructor was telling the trainees that even though the sound of the German mg was terrifying, it was not all powerful.  Here they showed an MG 34 or 42 firing and the burst sounded like a mini gun, like ripping canvas.  Perhaps it was for effect for the training film and in practice they only fired short bursts.  That would make sense.  I think the film was about the  MG 42 so that would not apply to the guns in the game.

Apparently the MG 34/41 could achieve a 1200 rounds per minute rate, twice as fast as other mgs.  The original MG 34 rate of fire was 800-900 rounds per minute.  The theory the Germans worked on was that since there was a limited time to shoot at each target they wanted to put the most bullets out per unit time before the barrel climb took the gun off target.  The practice for the MG 42 was a max burst limit of 250 rounds because of heating of the barrel.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 06:24:36 PM by Tanker » Logged

Bring back 3D markers!
ackack
Oberleutnant

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 08:21:25 PM »

Well after reading this I decided to check (call me sad if you want!)
The LMG MG34 has a 50 round mag and fires 15 bursts between reloads, so 3 (3.3!) rounds per burst.
And the DP has a round drum mag that holds 47 rounds and fires 21 bursts between reloads, so 2 (2.2!) rounds per burst.
Calculated by watching for muzzle flash and/or smoke discharge when fired.
But the main point, is now you can differentiate between rifle shots and LMG's.
A very good Mod, certainly makes the game a lot better for me anyway!
So thanks.

ps. I think you've also done something to the MG42 sound.
     The 'new' PPSh sounds awesome!

If that's the case, I'll probably do another release where MG34s get 3 shots, DPs keep 2 and PPSh gets 3 - should make for some nice variety that way. Thx for taking the time to check yourself.

ackack
Oberleutnant

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »

I did some investigation of my own last night. (you don’t need to call me sad for wasting time doing this, I already know and have come to terms with this already  Grin)

I never noticed this before, but if you look at the standard German rifle squad, you can see pools for each ammunition type when you hover over the Ammo icon, under the Kar98 grenade launcher section (why there, idk Huh?).

E.g.: http://imgur.com/aWGD90x

You can see in the Ammo box:

MG34
   7.92X57 IS [50] X 27
6 X Kar98k
   7.92X57 IS [5] X 270
Kar98k (gren.)
   7.92X57 IS X 1351
50 X 27 = 1350 (total 7.92X57 IS for MG34)
5 X 270 = 1350 (total 7.92X57 IS for the 6 Kar98s)

They all have the same total bullets, the magazine totals just get rounded.

It looks like all weapons in a squad, that use the same ammo type, all draw from one ammo pool. This would mean that the "number of magazines" value, shown after each weapon, does not really represent individual magazines for a specific weapon type - it's the current ammo pool value divided by the magazine capacity of a specific weapon type. I.e., the MG34 will appear to lose 7.92X57 IS magazines, not because it used up a drum filled with 7.92X57 IS, but because the ammo pool for 7.92X57 IS hit a new multiple of 50. This will make the "reload" intervals variable if there is more than one weapon drawing from the same pool. This is the case for the MG34, and I was indeed getting mixed results when trying to count bursts in-between decrements of 7.92X57 IS magazines for the MG34.

This abstraction would make sense, since squads cannot be split up into further subdivisions, so the MGs and riflemen will always be near each other, firing on the same enemies at the same time and in close enough proximity to exchange ammo among themselves.

Most importantly, you can also see the bullet pool (under the Kar98k gren. variant) decrease each time a round is fired; so for 7.92X57 this happens every time a Kar98 or MG34 is fired. I was able to observe the MG34 firing by itself, no Kar98s, and I consistently saw two rounds taken away from the pool. If there’s any clear indicator of the number of rounds discharged per burst, I think that would be it. Strangely though, that total bullet pool value shown in the German rifle squads isn’t shown in Russian rifle squads Huh?, although it looks like the Mosin rifles and the DP share the same 7.62X54R ammo pool as well, when you compare magazine totals.

I also tried counting the muzzle flashes per burst, looking up close at X.3 speed. I could only make out 1-2 bursts for the MGs and submachine guns. They appear to be variable and sometimes I could only see smoke when I clearly heard a burst go off, so idk how good of an indicator the muzzle flashes are.

In conclusion... assuming all the stuff I said about ammo pools is true, I think i'll just keep both LMGs firing 2 rounds; if not for accuracy, at least to help reduce MG sfx spam (this can be a problem for German mech platoons especially). I think that the PPSh follows the same 2 round rule, but I may decide to give it 3 - I agree that the 3 round burst sounds better, and it would be nice to have more variety.

Oh, and devs - plz don't chime in with the correct answers, it's much more fun to dissect and theorize about the game, like it’s some kind of crime scene investigation Grin.  

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 06:00:12 PM by ackack » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: