Graviteam
March 29, 2024, 03:02:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fire on area?  (Read 4982 times)
davidx
Hauptmann

« on: October 29, 2015, 09:42:46 PM »

Hello,

When using area fire, a double orange circle is placed with two numbers, the second having a percent, which seems to be able to change with time. What do the two numbers mean?

regards,
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 10:09:21 PM by davidx » Logged
hnbdgr
Major

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:17:41 AM »

I believe the percentage is an indication of accuracy. If the platoon leader (who's calling the strike) has a line of sight to it, the percentage will increase with time. I think it simulates the fire and correct approach. Might increase accuracy after the first few shells as well.

Couple things to note: 

- If you want to use your assets (artillery,guns,mortars,mg's,tanks) as indirect fire only, you should switch their fire at will to off and also make sure no targets (default T) are selected for the units. Otherwise they will find targets in line of sight and fire at them before they move on the area attack order (i.e. AAO doesn't hold precedence).

- Also they will fire all their available and suitable shells at the target. You might end up with canons sitting there at 22% munition not firing any more - this is because all that they have remaining are HEAT shells (AT). Check the ammo icon to see how many shells are remaining.

-Also it takes some random amount of time before assets start firing. I believe it's to simulate fire mission orders being sent. But the duration is random and not related to distance. I.e. your platoon leader may be 1km away and have no telephone line to his unit, they will still receive the order. More often then not, the fire mission is instant. Sometimes there's a delay but eventually they all start firing.

To sum up, to ensure an asset will respect and carry out an AAO:

-switch off fire at will for asset/s (best to deploy them with FAW switched off)
-reset targets for asset/s (default 2xT)
-cancel their current orders if they are moving, etc.
-select platoon leader, issue area attack order, ideally within line of sight
-select asset, make sure the AAO icon is ticked (although not selectable)

wait until they start firing.

Important to note
Your assets can act independently as indirect fire units. Set them up to fire at will and within reasonable line of sight (behind a tree line will generally work for canons and 8cm mortars). They will
start firing at moving things. If you wish to be more specific, switch Fire at will off and only select targets with T (cannot confirm reliability).

Also note: 5cm mortars are the most prevalent type found in the GTOS and they have one major drawback - range is about 500m. If you're outside this range, your mortars will just sit there and not fire. Be aware of this.

davidx
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 05:15:36 PM »

hello,

further experimenting with area fire command starting with the above suggestions,

the first number is related somehow to "fire power" on that area, i observed:

1, for a company of infantry
   3, for a battalion of on-map large mortars
   4, for a battalion of on-map artillery guns

the second number that is a percentage may be accuracy, which makes sense for indirect fire, but the command also supports direct in line of sight fire. accuracy for the second number seems to make less sense under the direct fire context. It would be nice for an authoritative explanation.

regards,
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: