Graviteam
March 28, 2024, 03:39:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some things that would be nice to have work  (Read 7142 times)
DDTank
Hauptmann

« on: November 30, 2015, 10:20:39 PM »

In APOS (or GTOS as it is now), at the start of a battle the overhead map shows arrows that supposedly represent the direction in which the enemy is coming. I therefore spend a lot of time meticulously preparing defences to address that but generally the enemy turns up somewhere else. I don't think it is unrealistic for these arrows to actually represent some accurate intel and the direction that the main force will in fact arrive from. Fine for some smaller forces to maybe probe around the edges but at least if the main force comes from the direction of the arrow I can put in place a defensive line that will be useful. Due to the "command points" system, trying to reorganize once the battle starts does not work very well and since it is said that the point of the game is more to set up and let it play out, this thing with the arrows is even more of an issue if they don't mean much.

Secondly and related to the first point, when placing units on the map, it would be good if they stay EXACTLY where they are. I spend a long time using the field of view / line of sight tools to put them somewhere where they will be effective but they end up getting dropped "somewhere nearby" and that somewhere often makes them useless. Sometimes they even end up out of command range, which I also spend a long time checking.

Finally, it would be really good if there was some way to lay a real ambush e.g. a way of masking units such as with foliage or something so they are well disguised and offer a real surprise. This would especially be useful for AT guns so they could get a decent shot at the side of passing tanks as I find currently even with the ambush icon, hold fire, fire arcs etc etc, they are usually seen before they can do anything useful - unless they are some distance away, which makes the weaker ones ineffective anyway. That would work both ways of course when the AI is defending...

(This is not a moan or a rant, just things I would really like to see done differently).

andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 11:24:54 AM »

Secondly and related to the first point, when placing units on the map, it would be good if they stay EXACTLY where they are.
they always stay exactly where you place, except 1 case - if you enable ambush mode.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 01:25:44 AM »

Well how about that? It was worth posting just to learn that. I don't understand why it is set up that way though? Especially when defending you want units placed just so as I was asking for, and if you are defending you are going to want to select the ambush command, no?
Also, you can still select ambush in the preliminary orders screen; what is the difference between clicking it then and just before?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 07:58:58 AM »

Well how about that? It was worth posting just to learn that. I don't understand why it is set up that way though?
Just uncheck ambush flag in placement mode (right in top line). And all units stay in your squares.

Пользовательский интерфейс будет неуместен на сегодняшних широкоэкранных экранах, а оригинальные карты неопределенного метра и моделирование чисел с низкими лицами заставляют людей действительно не хотеть играть.
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:23:40 PM »

I understand, thanks - but why is it set up like this? Why the difference with/without the ambush checked?
andrey12345
Graviteam
Generalfeldmarschall

Jerk developer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 12:41:30 PM »

I understand, thanks - but why is it set up like this? Why the difference with/without the ambush checked?

I do not quite understand "why?" Because they are two _different_ variants of initial placement. It would be very strange if both did the same thing.

DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »

Let me try and be more clear: You can set up without the Ambush icon checked and the units are placed were you put them. Or, you can set up with Ambush checked and they can end up moved around quite a lot. Apart from where they end up being slightly different, what is the difference whether I check Ambush or not?

Also, I can check it during the Initial Orders if I want. What effect does that have; is that different?
chaudard
Generalmajor

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 06:48:47 AM »

Let me try and be more clear: You can set up without the Ambush icon checked and the units are placed were you put them. Or, you can set up with Ambush checked and they can end up moved around quite a lot. Apart from where they end up being slightly different, what is the difference whether I check Ambush or not?

Also, I can check it during the Initial Orders if I want. What effect does that have; is that different?
When you check "ambush", the units search coverts and they hide themselves behind the coverts. If you don't want that, don't check "ambush", so they stay here.
DDTank
Hauptmann

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »

Thanks, I get it (obvious really!).
Comes back to my original point though: it would be better if "ambush" was a mode rather than a position as I try and set them up where they will be effective to cause passing enemy a surprise but the current function means they get spread out from my idea of suitable placement, and from these coverts they don't always have line of sight/fire any more. Maybe it would be difficult to make my thought work though as a unit could hardly be set to ambush if it was out in the open in the middle of a plain...(?).
However, from what I have tried this week after learning this, my ambushes seem a lot more effective because I set out the units based on their field of view and with the Ambush icon OFF, rather than setting them out carefully with it on, only to see them get mixed around once I hit the Go button. This is how I finally managed to get a reasonably successful outcome on the very difficult Pavlovka as Russians campaign (see Steam forum...).
Finally and as mentioned before, you can set them up in reasonably precise positions with Ambush OFF and then check it ON during the Initial Orders phase. I would still like to know the effect of that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: